CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   GM Releases 2013 bogus HP ratings at PRI show (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=44600)

NewHemi 12-04-2012 01:13 AM

Re: GM Releases 2013 bogus HP ratings at PRI show

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Hill (Post 358764)
This whole argument comes down to corruption. The manufacturers give money to NHRA in exchange for allowing these bogus cars with bogus motors and bogus horsepower ratings to be allowed in stock and super stock.

If this is actually true, then Chrysler needs ask for their money back.

NHRA never allowed them to put a blower on Mopars...

If I could put a blower on my Drag Pak, I wouldn't have a problem running against Ford and/or Chevy.......

But oh well, maybe Toyota will step in... Then you could all complain they there are unAmerican as well as unfair.

David
The New Hemi Guy

Andrew Hill 12-04-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBD MGT (Post 359049)
It's pretty safe to say all Stocker combinations make a LOT more HP than they are rated at and its my understanding that NHRA adds HP if a combination runs too far under the index.

So, is it a bogus HP rating issue or is the irritation because CJ/DP/COPO can be bought over the counter & doesn't require a racer to tear down a donor car & build it up from scratch?

In either case the cars will probably have a ton of modifications and/or trick parts & money spent on them so I'm not entirely sure how it's different from one vs. the other once they're ready to race.

How many of the newer cars hold class records compared to older cars? I think this mostly pertains to A/Stock and lower since AAA, AA, BB, and CC seem to be made for the newer cars with higher HP but maybe I'm mistaken.

I guess I'm just not sure what the actual problem is since most of the new cars run in AAA to CC and the remaining classes seem to be filled with cars from the muscle car era that hold records in almost all of those classes.

In the past, were there certain combinations that dominated classes & left other racers to feel like everything was good until that combination came along & ruined it for everyone?

Every stocker makes more HP than they are rated, but that's understood. A good one will make 1.5 times the rated HP or so, depending on the dyno. The rated HP is not what they actually make, yes, but it's the same for all combos so there's no reason to change it just to change weight breaks or letters on the window.

Yes, there have been combinations that dominated in the past, but never this much. When the LT1s and LS1s came out and had such low ratings, NHRA made fuel injected classes until their ratings became inline with their carbureted counterparts. All that people are asking is for the same type of thing.

There are lots of combos that fit the lower classes, and because not many people run them, they aren't getting hit with HP much, if at all.

NBD MGT 12-04-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 359051)
It is an easy way for checkbook racers with no experience to get fast quick and easy.

It seems like this is what's really got everyone pissed off.

Since everyone seems to agree that all stockers make more HP than they are rated at, there is no basis to complain about bogus numbers right?

I keep hearing complaints of new car dominance but if that's the case why do older cars hold almost all of the national records?

Out of all the NHRA events this past summer, what is the breakdown of wins by new cars vs. older cars? What's the breakdown of top-10 qualifiers, old vs. new?

Also wondering whether anyone actually knows how many people raced in Stock in 2008 (when all the supposed troubles began) and how many do now?

Just trying to get this because I am newly interested in NHRA racing so I'm "walking in the door today", so to speak, and If I started to race it'd be with a car that was produced during my lifetime.

Ed Wright 12-04-2012 09:21 AM

You are simply too clueless to converse with.

Why don't you man up and use your real name.

Jim Kaekel 12-04-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHemi (Post 359076)
If this is actually true, then Chrysler needs ask for their money back.

You just can't buy that "soft" HP factor back, huh? You've only invested a couple of years in this venture. I've poured over 25 years of hard work and tons of money, building my own car, engine, trans., etc. with my own hands.
I thought it was bad in the '90's when the under factored LT1's and LS1's were kicking our butts, but the stuff going on now is light years beyond that. Not everyone has the funds available or the desire to buy a turn-key race car with a "joke" of a HP factor. These new cars have made a mockery of the class.

Ken Miele 12-04-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 359091)
You are simply too clueless to converse with.

Why don't you man up and use your real name.

With a comment like this no wonder some people don't like to use real names. He asks legitimate questions and your response is "clueless".

Your intolerance and lack of respect makes Class Racers look like a bunch of stuck up racers.

Is that how you want new people getting into class racing to perceive us?

Charley Downing 12-04-2012 09:55 AM

Yes Greg manufactures are paying off NHRA for low hp ratings in STK and SS for there cars. That has to be the dumbest thing you have ever wrote on here. If you think ford racing is sending NHRA money then you really have no clue. It has nothing to do with paying people off or corruption.
NHRA COULD NOT GIVE A ***$ ABOUT YOUR 40 YEAR OLD CAR. That is what it comes down to. If you don't like it don't race. NHRA seam to be doing very well with out all you crying ***** Clowns that are not running national events. I know in the 70s and 80s there were no hp problems and the racing was great but there over now so adapt and race or park you cars and sit home remembering the good old days.

art leong 12-04-2012 10:02 AM

This is not the fault of the racers that go out and buy their cars.
That is the way it's done. Look at the pro classes? How many of them started in the sportsman ranks?
Not all of us remember going to the junkyard in search of race car parts. Times have changed.
The fault lies totally with NHRA and the bogus horsepower numbers.
When the Hemi came out, Chrysler rated it at 425 hp. Before one ever hit the track NHRA raised it to 500 for the race hemi and 480 for the street hemi in superstock and 440 for the street hemi in stock. I'm sure there were other combos that were handled the same.
NHRA wanted these new cars so bad they sold their souls to get them

Crew Chief 12-04-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBD MGT (Post 359084)
I keep hearing complaints of new car dominance but if that's the case why do older cars hold almost all of the national records?

Because most of the checkbook racers with new cars do not want to get their hands dirty or would even know how to tear down their engine. Setting a national record is something you choose to do by putting "R" on your window and pulling into the record lane. Very few of the underrated new cars pull into the record lane even though they could destroy their class record. But that would mean a hit on their bogus horsepower.

The new cars with bogus horsepower are looking for the easy win in a heads up run. Now that is what pi$$es the racers off who have raced for years and have maxed out their combinations. If the factored horsepowers on the new cars were accurate there would be very little to complain about.

Jim Kaekel 12-04-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art leong (Post 359101)
NHRA wanted these new cars so bad they sold their souls to get them

Art- That says it all.

Charlie, who supplies NHRA with their official vehicles? Oh, that's right...Ford.