CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flat tappet lifter failure (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=85341)

bubski 10-14-2023 01:34 PM

Re: Flat tappet lifter failure

Bubski can't believe this crazy train has derailed into a no "heads up" no performance based category !! Now back to lifters !! Imagine adding to the vegetable soup of stock classes with additional classes for cars with or without roller lifters ?? Bubski would like to present an example of this fine mess being pushed in Stock !! How about rU/SA the "r" being for the roller lifter designation !! Sooo!! how about f-U/SA ?? pretty self explanatory I believe !! The f-U/SA class will be 6 rounds at any class racer if they do this just because !! Cheers !!

Billy Nees 10-14-2023 03:54 PM

Sorry Bubski but I can't get behind *-*/SA, it's too close to something some woker would say for me.

Terry Cain 10-14-2023 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Weiss (Post 687296)
Terry,
Since it seems getting lifters is a problem. Is the cam still OK? If so have looked for someone who can resurface those lifters?

Stan

Nope. Cam is junk. Lifters are junk. Oil pump is junk. Pistons? questionable if they can be saved. rod and main bearings, rings. All junk.
The problem is getting lifters that will last. Coating does not work. Tool steel on certain cams won't work. Seems only thing that will work (sometimes) are 15 year old lifters that are not available anymore.

e vassar 10-14-2023 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich (Post 687300)
Without heads up races and class eliminations, Stock and Super Stock literally have ZERO reason to exist. Period.

Go back and read my post I am all for class eliminations. This is where the folks who have done the hard work and/or spent the money will be rewarded.
So on the other side...I read a lot here that stock is a dying thing..only the old guys are still running it. How do we get younger..how do we save it? Personally I'm fine with it just the way it is. I continue to work and spend to trying to get better and faster...but..I think if you talk to 100 talented bracket racers (sorry I used the "B" word" They will tell you..OK so I'm driving good, I'm dialing good and I lose third or fourth round because I had a heads up I didn't have a prayer to win. Its just food for discussion....

1347 10-15-2023 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e vassar (Post 687320)
Go back and read my post I am all for class eliminations. This is where the folks who have done the hard work and/or spent the money will be rewarded.
So on the other side...I read a lot here that stock is a dying thing..only the old guys are still running it. How do we get younger..how do we save it? Personally I'm fine with it just the way it is. I continue to work and spend to trying to get better and faster...but..I think if you talk to 100 talented bracket racers (sorry I used the "B" word" They will tell you..OK so I'm driving good, I'm dialing good and I lose third or fourth round because I had a heads up I didn't have a prayer to win. Its just food for discussion....

Heads up racing in eliminations is just as, if not more important for most classracers. Its a great feeling to get your car ready for a heads up run during the eliminator, win it, then put it back in bracket mode to run next round. And for those that come out on the losing end, it gives them the drive to make their stuff faster.
Having Stock and Super Stock a heads up in class only would be a slow death to the sport to try to cater to bracket racers to be interested. They arent coming in even if it went to that.

Chevy55 10-15-2023 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Cain (Post 687318)
Nope. Cam is junk. Lifters are junk. Oil pump is junk. Pistons? questionable if they can be saved. rod and main bearings, rings. All junk.
The problem is getting lifters that will last. Coating does not work. Tool steel on certain cams won't work. Seems only thing that will work (sometimes) are 15 year old lifters that are not available anymore.

Here's a good take on the lifter problem
https://youtu.be/Qt-RycUnoW4

jmantle 10-21-2023 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Cain (Post 687190)
Has anyone converted Shubeck Hyd over to solids?

Mine are converting themselves, 3 have the plungers stuck in the bottom position. Other than that, they still look like new after 12 seasons.
I would think with the new solid lifters allowed rule a better ceramic lifter could be built as they wouldn't have to allow room for the plunger, just a thought.

Terry Cain 10-22-2023 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmantle (Post 687547)
Mine are converting themselves, 3 have the plungers stuck in the bottom position. Other than that, they still look like new after 12 seasons.
I would think with the new solid lifters allowed rule a better ceramic lifter could be built as they wouldn't have to allow room for the plunger, just a thought.

Just a guess but prob very few are in market for ceramic lifters. ain't been a motor built since 85 with flat tappets in Detroit. Just a guess.

Rory McNeil 10-22-2023 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Cain (Post 687563)
Just a guess but prob very few are in market for ceramic lifters. ain't been a motor built since 85 with flat tappets in Detroit. Just a guess.

So,..if you are set on being able to run roller lifters in a Stocker, there are almost 30 years worth of engine combinations in the NHRA Classification Guide that came from the factory WITH roller lifters, for you to choose from.

Terry Cain 10-24-2023 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rory McNeil (Post 687567)
So,..if you are set on being able to run roller lifters in a Stocker, there are almost 30 years worth of engine combinations in the NHRA Classification Guide that came from the factory WITH roller lifters, for you to choose from.

Gotta ask yourself WHY did OEM decide to go to rollers if flats are cheaper to make?