CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   "claiming" a different yr in Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=74530)

Bob Mulry 10-24-2019 01:09 PM

Re: "claiming" a different yr in Stock

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Greene (Post 600314)
I don't know a thing about chevies but there are a lot of Mopars out there that do not have the OEM correct trim for the year claimed. As was just posted if it doesn't make it faster..........

I remember back in the day when the VIN had to match.

I remember when the front door trim panels had to be correct...…

The times they are a changin'...

Greg Reimer 7376 10-24-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Silverman (Post 600215)
Your "Competition Number" stays the same, as long as you don't change eliminators. Some folks have been able to keep their numbers the same in both Stock and Super Stock, but obviosly with two different vehicles.

So far as "claiming" a different year is concerned, it all depends on how down in the weeds you want to go. There are some vehicles in the "Book" that only need a cosmetic change to move from year-to-year (think 3rd Gen Nova) to more involved changes like differences in sheetmetal. Many "race cars" don't have their VIN tags anymore, so who's to say what the year is, as long as the vehicle presents itself correctly.

In this corrupt state, if you were transporting a race car with no VIN, it could get impounded on the spot.You would then have to provide some kind of paperwork verifying possession of the car through either the VIN or the frame number( secret number), this could take some time. Meanwhile, impound fees and secret taxes would increase, and what would be left of your original race car after it gets released from impound? Also, they would find some fine to apply for "illegally transporting a vehicle with an altered or missing VIN." Even if you don't live in a corrupt cesspool, not having the VIN in the correct location could cause you a snag, what if you towed through a state like that between your home and a race you were going to? Always have some paperwork to cover your self if you need it. God help you if you bought a race car with a certificate of title from another state and it came up stolen.

KRatcliff 10-24-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 (Post 600441)
In this corrupt state, if you were transporting a race car with no VIN, it could get impounded on the spot.You would then have to provide some kind of paperwork verifying possession of the car through either the VIN or the frame number( secret number), this could take some time. Meanwhile, impound fees and secret taxes would increase, and what would be left of your original race car after it gets released from impound? Also, they would find some fine to apply for "illegally transporting a vehicle with an altered or missing VIN." Even if you don't live in a corrupt cesspool, not having the VIN in the correct location could cause you a snag, what if you towed through a state like that between your home and a race you were going to? Always have some paperwork to cover your self if you need it. God help you if you bought a race car with a certificate of title from another state and it came up stolen.

That would make it kinda dicey for COPOs, CJs, and DragPaks if California enforced it I bet.

Greg Reimer 7376 10-24-2019 07:17 PM

Don't give anybody any ideas!

KRatcliff 10-24-2019 07:36 PM

:eek:

Mike Pearson 10-25-2019 08:31 AM

I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of race cars do not have any sort of title or VIN. I have been racing my car for over 41 years and do not have a title. I have never been questioned about that while transporting my car to and from the races.

Dano 10-25-2019 10:09 AM

….To JMCarter…...Port Ludlow, my old stomping grounds. Small World

jmcarter 10-25-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano (Post 600479)
….To JMCarter…...Port Ludlow, my old stomping grounds. Small World

Sure is, in 1972 I was walking through a village in “northern” Thailand and ran into an old high school buddy. We love the Pacific Northwest and even after living there many years we still take the RV out there every summer. I particularly enjoyed living on the Olympic Peninsula but commute across the sound was a pain.

Don’t know much about your combination but this forum has a lot of very bright and helpful racers who gladly lend advice, you just have to contend with threads that “wander” a bit. Also, if you haven’t already register with Dwight Sutherland to use his excellent “class racer info” site, there’s a sticky thread that leads you to it. Good luck!

Dano 10-27-2019 09:27 AM

Have been using ClassRacerinfo ALOT!! Thanks

Dano 10-27-2019 09:42 AM

To Todd Bailey......that was a trick question from the Indy Tech, no? LOL