CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Factory Cars to Pro Stock in 2018 - Speculative Web Article (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=64452)

khelms 11-26-2016 12:08 PM

Re: Factory Cars to Pro Stock in 2018 - Speculative Web Arti

Big Tire, 5 speed, 500 c.i. , 4L blower (or bigger) with you pickem pulleys. Must retain Production quarters,roof, doors. Make the wheelbase the same for all. They need to be in the 6 second range to look good on TV.

Todd Gross 11-26-2016 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GUMP (Post 520794)
Or 10.5".........

I'd go with the 10.5 tire , 5 speed, OEM design engine, Stock Style Front Suspension & Stock Quarters, Roof, and Door.

Lets go forward by going back in time!....a little.

James L Miller 11-26-2016 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320racer (Post 520779)
I've stated the same here and elsewhere on the net, the only difference is I said it 2 years before this guy wrote it for an online magazine.:rolleyes:

I had proposed a Jr. Pro Stock concept to NHRA over 10 years ago when word got out that Chrysler was going to build a Hemi Charger (and before it was to be a four door car). Similar rules, no superchargers back then. 6L CID limit, EFI, stock steel bodies, etc. I was told by one of the tech guys at NHRA that they had proposed similar ideas and that management had no interest in it at the time. I think I had proposed the 10.5W slicks instead of the 9" stocker tires.

Greg Hill 11-26-2016 01:59 PM

Why not current Super Stock rules with lower minimum weights. They are already in the 7's ar 170. With development and 400 lbs less weight it would be interesting.

Ron Ortiz 11-26-2016 05:43 PM

The heck with this nonsense. Bring in the imports, lets make this real competition, what you all afraid what the scenarios could be. Is an American production power plant better than an import, who is quicker, or faster, let the fun begin. it is called competition.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA bring it on.

SStockDart 11-26-2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff teuton (Post 520814)
the small tires make them look more like showroom cars. Also makes tuners more important as compared with brute hp. Just my 3.5cents (inflation)

x2

Ed Wright 11-26-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMan (Post 520818)
I'd go with the 10.5 tire , 5 speed, OEM design engine, Stock Style Front Suspension & Stock Quarters, Roof, and Door.

Lets go forward by going back in time!....a little.

Why small tires? Big tires look more like a real race car, and are safer. I've seen too many "10.5 shootout" cars crash. People come to maybe see them crash, (and they only run 1/8th mile around here), but it is not safe.

SStockDart 11-26-2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 520845)
Why small tires? Big tires look more like a real race car, and are safer. I've seen too many "10.5 shootout" cars crash. People come to maybe see them crash, (and they only run 1/8th mile around here), but it is not safe.

Hey Ed, I also watched the 10.5 and street tire cars while I lived in Missouri....they are crazy and extremely dangerous. Most of them are tube cars with twin turbos or nitros. Probably 6.50 cars for a quarter mile at over 200 MPH.

We are talking about cars that might run high 7's....180. I like the 9" X 30" tire because it adds "tune up" to the equation and not just high dollar horsepower. In other words, you have to tune your car to get down the track before you can win. Could always run them 1,000 ft.

The Hawk 11-26-2016 09:14 PM

....and the class would still be boring to watch to the casual spectator.

Alan Roehrich 11-26-2016 09:21 PM

Sorry, not seeing how small tires will make good racing in Pro Stock. They merely make track prep and lane differences a bigger factor in deciding the races. Aborted passes do not make for good racing, and soon the fans will tire of it.