CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Holley Spreadbore (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=66928)

Rod Greene 07-19-2017 08:28 PM

Re: Holley Spreadbore

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 539731)
You need some good epoxy for the caps under the main jets that keep falling off. LOL
I cut out some pieces to put in the wells, in the base plate, to keep those things in place. One of the biggest P.O.S. carburetors I ever encountered. Heat finally got to that plastic crap after a few years. Most did not age well.

I have raced and ran T Quads on the streets since 1971 never had one fail. I have had plenty of problems with Q jet. My dad had one on his 85 D350 never could get it to run right even bought a new one from Dodge. Put a TQ on it and never had another problem. I guess it is all in what you know. Now I'm fighting with the tempermental Holleys.

Ed Wright 07-19-2017 08:39 PM

Holley are easier than Quadrajets. The problem TQ carbs were all on street cars & trucks. All old enough to need work. Those caps under the main jets falling off were all high mileage, several years old. When they flood on start ups, and you don't see fuel drop on the throttle blades like a normal carb, those caps are loose. Pull the carb base, and they usually fall out on the bench. Probably fixed close to a hundred of those. You could not run fast enough to give me one.
Making a fairly new TQ run well is no problem at all. Just plastic bowls failing on older carbs.
What is your Quadrajet doing wrong?

Hacksaw 07-20-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 539769)
Holley are easier than Quadrajets. The problem TQ carbs were all on street cars & trucks. All old enough to need work. Those caps under the main jets falling off were all high mileage, several years old. When they flood on start ups, and you don't see fuel drop on the throttle blades like a normal carb, those caps are loose. Pull the carb base, and they usually fall out on the bench. Probably fixed close to a hundred of those. You could not run fast enough to give me one.
Making a fairly new TQ run well is no problem at all. Just plastic bowls failing on older carbs.
What is your Quadrajet doing wrong?

Mine, leaves the line ok and then stumbles and recovers, very annoying

GTX JOHN 07-20-2017 11:32 AM

I own 200 plus Thermoquads.....I have them on over a 1/2 dozen race cars.

I love the things!

The late Al Etter (Ken Etter's Dad) taught me how to rebuild them many years ago.

I used to give Jon Jr. a wallet full of $5.00 dollar bills when he was just a
5 or 6 and he would buy every darn one he could find for that or less at Pomona Swap Meet every month or so.

Ed Wright 07-20-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw (Post 539782)

About all I did were on factory stock street vehicles. Need to talk to a real race carb builder.
Do you have a wideband O2 & data logger on it? If so, is it going rich, or lean at that point? Or, somebody watching for a puff of black smoke when it does it?

Hacksaw 07-20-2017 01:11 PM

Ed: I have a D. Ashley carb that is my # 1. Since he retired I've tried to "create" my own. So close to working, but yet so far. Sent one away to "fix" the lag and came back only slightly better. No O2 sensor or data logger.

pfordamx 07-20-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Hill (Post 539743)
Newsflash! Now legal on all AMC's!

Which one is now legal on all amcs?

Bruce Fulper 07-20-2017 07:04 PM

You got all of mine! :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTX JOHN (Post 539788)
I own 200 plus Thermoquads.....I have them on over a 1/2 dozen race cars.

I love the things!

The late Al Etter (Ken Etter's Dad) taught me how to rebuild them many years ago.

I used to give Jon Jr. a wallet full of $5.00 dollar bills when he was just a
5 or 6 and he would buy every darn one he could find for that or less at Pomona Swap Meet every month or so.

monte385 07-20-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw (Post 539782)

Who built it? What's been done to it?

Mark Yacavone 07-20-2017 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monte385 (Post 539840)
Who built it? What's been done to it?

#1, Danny Ashley
#2, Hacksaw