CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Dumbo The Flying Elephant (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72394)

Larry Hill 07-16-2022 05:24 AM

Re: Dumbo The Flying Elephant

I’ve forgotten who told me this years ago, It’s just a math problem and try to get the numbers to like each other.

stage1scott 07-16-2022 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Hill (Post 664337)
I’ve forgotten who told me this years ago, It’s just a math problem and try to get the numbers to like each other.

Sounds like Kenny Duttweiler- the entire world is just a math problem to be solved....

Larry Hill 07-18-2022 10:10 AM

Frank I am not gifted! I try real hard to follow directions that smart people were kind enough to share with me.

Again thanks to all that have help me over the years.

Larry Hill 07-18-2022 08:03 PM

At the PRI show I purchased every height micrometer that PAC sells. I thought I had all the bases covered, not so. The new Hemi is a little different from anything out there. To make a long story short I had to find an adapter in a piece of bar stock. It works well. Supper time got to go.

Larry Hill 07-20-2022 02:07 PM

Setting up to make custom shims for Dumbo, sometimes times I feel like the Dumbo.

Larry Hill 07-22-2022 06:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Today I should be able to assign springs to valves get them assembled and verify coil bind. It should be a busy day.

The reason for all the lathe work is the valve guide bosses have a healthy radius at the bottom where the spring cup or shim seat. Some of the shims I had to turn the OD down to fit the pockets or bore the ID to go over the guide boss.

Greg West 07-24-2022 02:30 PM

Amazing all the work involved to build a fast race engine. Every detail needs to be checked and double checked. Awesome work Larry.

Larry Hill 07-26-2022 08:43 PM

The worst thing about building you own race engine is I have no one to blame but myself. I wake up in the middle of the night and think of things I need to do or forgot to do the day before. It makes for a less than restful night.

Mike Gray 07-27-2022 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Hill (Post 664925)
The worst thing about building you own race engine is I have no one to blame but myself. I wake up in the middle of the night and think of things I need to do or forgot to do the day before. It makes for a less than restful night.

Ibuprofen-PM especially after crawling in and out or under the car.

Larry Hill 07-28-2022 06:38 PM

After redoing my coil bind set up three times I'm confident that my numbers are correct and repeatable. I have one head ready to bolt on for final check for clearance from coil bind. The other head is clean with seals, valves, and ready for spring assignment with assembly. It took two sets of springs to get eight springs on the intakes to all be at the same open and seat pressure. The exhaust side springs are 10 pounds lighter on open and seat.

Does anyone have the old style Larson Systems Solid Height Gage, if so I think I would be willing to purchase it.

More later