CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Drag Racing analyzer (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=32034)

a/fx 03-11-2011 09:56 PM

Drag Racing analyzer

Has anyone used one of these or know who sells them?
Drag Race Analyzer
United States Patent # 5,051,935 - Date Awarded: 9/24/91

An apparatus for automatically and continuously projecting an elapsed time in which a vehicle traveling over a racecourse will complete the course, wherein a difference between the projected elapsed time and a predicted time is continuously displayed to a driver of the vehicle, so that the driver can adjust the speed of the vehicle as needed during a race to approximate the predicted time. A plurality of magnets are mounted on a drive shaft of the vehicle in a circumferentially spaced relationship. A pickup coil is mounted adjacent to the magnets to detect movement of the magnets past the coil for measuring the distance traveled by the vehicle. A computer is electrically connected to the pickup coil and collects data from the coil for continuously calculating a difference between the projected elapsed time and the predicted time during a race. A motion switch is electrically connected to the computer and detects forward movement of the vehicle at the start of a race for automatically actuating the computer. A light gage is electrically connected to the computer and includes a set of red lights and a set of green lights which, when illuminated, indicate that the projected elapsed time is faster or slower, respectively, than the predicted time in 0.01 second increments. When one or more of the red or green lights are illuminated, the driver can decrease or increase the speed of the vehicle, respectively, so that the elapsed time approximates the predicted time at the end of a race.
Inventors: Matty; Richard D. (xxxxx Xxxxxx Rd., Marshallville, OH xxxxx)
Appl. No.: 356845 Filed: May 25, 1989

Ed Fernandez 03-11-2011 10:25 PM

Re: Drag Racing analyzer

If you haven't been a member of this site for a while you're excused from posting about
that item.If not then shame on you for bringing it up again.

Todd Boyer 03-11-2011 10:26 PM

Ahhh yes, the dreaded 'Matty Box'. I think NHRA permenently banned these and permenently booted "inventor" Richard Matty.

Ed Fernandez 03-11-2011 10:30 PM

Some of the perps are still active in NHRA.

Todd Boyer 03-11-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez (Post 245312)
Some of the perps are still active in NHRA.

Really ????

novassdude 03-11-2011 10:54 PM

Not only active but bragged up by NHRA about being great drivers. I still have the list of the dirty dozen some where at home.

Ed Fernandez 03-11-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Boyer (Post 245313)
Really ????

Yyyyeeesssssssssss.

63corvette 03-11-2011 11:11 PM

The IHRA website actually had them all listed by name and banned from competition a few years ago.
I printed it and won several bets on having the names listed on the website.
I would not have believed it without seeing it myself.

Todd Boyer 03-11-2011 11:51 PM

I'd love to see that list.

Sean Kennedy 03-13-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Boyer (Post 245326)

Dave Connoly and Ray Connoly are both on that list. As are some other big names that would probably surprise you.

A bunch of people were busted for using it in the Moroso Five Day bracket race quite a few years ago..... the story has long since been hashed out and picked apart and debated very hotly on places like DragRaceResults.com for years. Some say there is no proof they were caught, and it was a witch hunt, some say they were caught red handed.

The fact is, some people, including more than likely all the names on that list and a bunch more, used it until people started to know what to look for.

You can buy them on the internet, but I'm sure as hell not going to go track down the site for you.

It is my understanding the Mattys are still active in bracket racing... but that may be incorrect.

The bottom line is, if you use this you are cheating. If you need this to win you might as well pack up and go bowling. But saying that, with tech as lacking as it is these days, espcially at local tracks.... there are probably people using it all over the country. He's still making them, so someone must be buying them.

63corvette 03-13-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Boyer (Post 245326)

Just google IHRA Dirty Dozen and you will find the list.
The link to the IHRA website is no longer there.

Real Racer 03-13-2011 10:15 PM

PRESENTING YOUR DIRTY DOZEN

Rich Matty
Mark Cook
Ron Erks
Ray Connolly
Dave Connolly
Scott Lukowski
Dave Stockwell
Mike Herchick
Brian Joyce
Bill Webb
Todd Hickey
Noel Liederbach

Todd Boyer 03-15-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Kennedy (Post 245628)
Dave Connoly and Ray Connoly are both on that list. As are some other big names that would probably surprise you.

A bunch of people were busted for using it in the Moroso Five Day bracket race quite a few years ago..... the story has long since been hashed out and picked apart and debated very hotly on places like DragRaceResults.com for years. Some say there is no proof they were caught, and it was a witch hunt, some say they were caught red handed.

The fact is, some people, including more than likely all the names on that list and a bunch more, used it until people started to know what to look for.

You can buy them on the internet, but I'm sure as hell not going to go track down the site for you.

It is my understanding the Mattys are still active in bracket racing... but that may be incorrect.

The bottom line is, if you use this you are cheating. If you need this to win you might as well pack up and go bowling. But saying that, with tech as lacking as it is these days, espcially at local tracks.... there are probably people using it all over the country. He's still making them, so someone must be buying them.

I didn't say I wanted one Sean. I was just curious about who would stoop as low as that.

novassdude 03-15-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Boyer (Post 246033)
I didn't say I wanted one Sean. I was just curious about who would stoop as low as that.

Well Todd now you know who will stoop that low. And NHRA praises them at every chance they get.

buzzinhalfdozen 03-15-2011 02:44 PM

That particular group of racers was the scourge of Norwalk for many years. Can't even count the number of times the racers complained and accused this bunch of cheating, we were all told that they had looked at them and that basically..."they're just that good". While I'll agree that there are just better racers than others these guys won most every where they went.... kinda like winning the lottery every time you play it eventually raises some eyebrows. To this day I've never heard of one of these guys ever offering an apology to anyone they cheated, guess they figure they did nothing wrong.

art leong 03-15-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzinhalfdozen (Post 246064)
That particular group of racers was the scourge of Norwalk for many years. Can't even count the number of times the racers complained and accused this bunch of cheating, we were all told that they had looked at them and that basically..."they're just that good". While I'll agree that there are just better racers than others these guys won most every where they went.... kinda like winning the lottery every time you play it eventually raises some eyebrows. To this day I've never heard of one of these guys ever offering an apology to anyone they cheated, guess they figure they did nothing wrong.

Joe to them the Only thing they did wrong was get caught.

Ed Wright 03-15-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art leong (Post 246079)
joe to them the only thing they did wrong was get caught.

x2

Harry 6674 03-16-2011 11:18 AM

Only the dumb ones got caught. The smart ones may have the magnets imbedded inside a carbon fiber driveshaft and the sensor in a tubular safety hoop.

Sean Kennedy 03-16-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry 6674 (Post 246306)
Only the dumb ones got caught. The smart ones may have the magnets imbedded inside a carbon fiber driveshaft and the sensor in a tubular safety hoop.

They do not work off of the rear tires due to tire spin. Has to be done off of a front wheel, and obviously it has to maintain contact with the pavement.

That's how I understand it. But that may be incorrect.

Phillip marvetz 03-16-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Kennedy (Post 246420)
They do not work off of the rear tires due to tire spin. Has to be done off of a front wheel, and obviously it has to maintain contact with the pavement.

That's how I understand it. But that may be incorrect.

How do you attach it to your front wheel Sean?

Mike Carr 03-16-2011 11:42 PM

Sean is correct. There is some type of counter mounted on the front tire/axle, to measure time/distance. I read about all the Matty Box stuff years ago, I don't remember all of it, how it worked, etc.

To my knowledge, other than Matty, who was protested, refused to tear down, and was tossed, at the 1999 Moroso 5 Day, none of the others were found to be illegal at any time. Not sure if they were ever protested (or found illegal). I apologize if I am incorrect.

*edit* I did find this. http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-11.html

Sean Kennedy 03-17-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip marvetz (Post 246435)
How do you attach it to your front wheel Sean?

It's magnetic, get creative.

Ken Haase 03-17-2011 03:12 AM

Would it raise any eyebrows if you just used one of those bicycle wheel contraptions on the rear of the car, like Motor Trend magazine uses?

Mike Taylor 3601 03-17-2011 09:39 AM

If i remeber correctly Matty won 1989 IHRA bracket finals @Bristol,I think he also won race of champions there also driving red 62-64? chevrolet.
I was always told the Matty box would adjust car to dial that may been myth,I was told usaully had NOS to pick up or pull timing to slow? Does anyone know those facts?
Mike Taylor 3601

cicero819 04-24-2011 12:26 AM

Matty is now involve with NHRA un-leashed.

Ed Fernandez 04-24-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cicero819 (Post 254688)
Matty is now involve with NHRA un-leashed.

Maybe like the govt.Use a cheater to catch a cheater.

Ed Wright 04-24-2011 12:47 PM

How could it actually adjust the car? Or did it signal the driver about where it was in relation to the dial? All that came about while I was sprint car racing and then quit.

7423 04-24-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 254747)
How could it actually adjust the car? Or did it signal the driver about where it was in relation to the dial? All that came about while I was sprint car racing and then quit.

I'm sure it did all that plus!! Worked for Connley and look at him now, he's a NHRA Pro Stock racer!! A great competitor for todays youth to look up to.

Mike Carr 04-25-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 254747)

From stories I read, the Matty Box was like a cruise control. If the car was ahead of it's on-track point (running quick), the throttle stop would kick on to slow the car down to run it's number. If it was behind it's on track point (running slow), the N20 would engage, pick the car up, and run dead-on it's dial.

K Stubbs 04-25-2011 08:29 PM

With the Matty box, after the first initial run to record data, you do not need to make another time trial. As long as the run is good (no tire spin, gear change malfunctions etc) The box records that data and uses it to determine the following runs ET prediction by counting the amout of times the engine fires compared to the distance it has traveled, thus the reason for the counter. It will tell you, by led, if you are going too slow or too fast. You can use nitrous, throttle stop, etc to control this. You can also use it on a footbrake car without a transbrake with a motion sensor that is available. In my opinion, with todays consistent bracket cars, like dragsters, the box would be less helpful. You still have to hit the tree and is appears many can do this and run the number.

Ed Wright 04-25-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Carr (Post 255036)
From stories I read, the Matty Box was like a cruise control. If the car was ahead of it's on-track point (running quick), the throttle stop would kick on to slow the car down to run it's number. If it was behind it's on track point (running slow), the N20 would engage, pick the car up, and run dead-on it's dial.

And tech could not find a throttle stop or nitrous? Must have been used on .90 cars.
Sounds like wheel standers would screw it up. What kind of satisfaction could a cheater possibly have? I don't get it.
Thanks for the explanations.

Mike Carr 04-26-2011 12:07 AM

Yes, it was in .90 cars, running at the Moroso 5 -Day bracket races in November 1999. I'm pretty sure I read that, indeed, a wheelstand would mess it up.

Jim Kaekel 04-26-2011 11:59 AM

Unfortunately, some crooks always seem to be one step ahead of the law. I think that there was a "big name" racer or two that had these devices back in the '90's until NHRA became aware of the technology and actually put the wording in the rule book that it was illegal. I think that the racer(s) got rid of them at that point, knowing that sooner or later the ***** was going to hit the fan (Moroso/Norwalk protests & dirty dozen controversies) and they didn't want to face the suspension or embarrassment. The sad truth is that a lot of winnings were collected with this technology before the NHRA or IHRA was aware of it.

Signman 04-26-2011 06:21 PM

Will throw my .02 in.

During that time there was a showdown at a big money race at Atco.
People were watching in the stands and the culprit was not looking at his opponent at all just staring at the tach going through and going dead on.. When the crowd gathered and officials asked for an inspection the car and driver loaded up and left.

The explanation was that the tach was not a tach at all but an indicator. If when approaching the finish line if it read a predetermined set RPM you would be going dead on. Lower you were slow & higher you were fast.

In this scenario there was no throttle or nitrous controller. The driver controlled slowing down & speeding up.

The Matty Box I believe is still for sale.
It used a wheel counter on a front wheel. The pickup was the tell tale. But why can't you use drive shaft RPM?? Make your wheel stander dead hook and it will work fine.

That's why external inputs other than engine sensors are not allowed to be connected to EFI ECU with internal data logging. Brings this issue on board as well as traction control.

Troy Pourciau 08-18-2014 09:35 PM

D12

Mark Yacavone 08-18-2014 10:33 PM

Mr Raymond and his assistant Top Fool could hide all that stuff and then some.Nobody ever found it ;-)

SST3193 08-19-2014 01:52 AM

I heard something about a camcorder being used to launch the car, via infrared, while videoing the whole starting line from burnout box. Friend says he stepped in front of the crew/wife and she was more than agitated. Up to that point, I was told, this 62/3 Chevy had cut .002 lights all day. If I'm not mistaken this was a Higher dollar bracket race at TriState Dragway in Hamilton, Ohio.

RJ Sledge 08-19-2014 12:24 PM

It all starts with having a "Counter" to be able to place your car in the same spot every time you stage. It may not always be the exact spot, but very close.
Ron Garey and I watched a SS driver in Dallas in the early 90's use one.

World Champion as I remember, I could be mistaken at my age.

RJ