CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   .90 Heads Up Class Racing (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Engine problem or excessive braking (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=32261)

david ring 03-21-2011 12:20 PM

Engine problem or excessive braking

You be the judge

http://dragracecentral.com/DRCPhoto....r=100#indextop

wayne sipos 03-21-2011 01:54 PM

Re: Engine problem or excessive braking

all I can say is wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

philip a harnden 03-21-2011 03:26 PM

If that was excessive braking some body shud talk to phillips (nhra or even the racers) phillips shud know better. He has been around racing. A long time. ( i dont know him but i know his name from div 4 area) at these speeds you do not hit the brakes on the other end!!!!!!!

CBS 03-21-2011 03:34 PM

Not Tommy...the other car......looked like and engine problem......

FOR REAL 03-21-2011 04:04 PM

Ya

philip a harnden 03-21-2011 04:06 PM

Tommie sorry i got the cars mixed up!!!!! Adcock shud know better!!!!

FOR REAL 03-21-2011 04:06 PM

sorry did not that was sherman.BRAKES

Regan Wilson 03-21-2011 04:48 PM

What are yall the Top End Police ? Those two guys are some of the best drivers in the Super classes . Both of them use the brake pedal when they need to . I have been accused of excessive braking before when it was actually a dip in the track that caused a wheel to lock up .

Nitro Joe Jackson 03-21-2011 06:33 PM

hell i thought that was Rock in the lights on a normal round of racing, lol
Then i seen it was red so it wasnt his car, lol

well in rd 2 ,161 and finals 153, you make the call, but there is more guilty then him, sooooooooooo

frank v 03-21-2011 06:44 PM

wheels are locked up , you can read the letters on the front tires.

Rich Biebel 03-21-2011 07:13 PM

I would bet my hand brake lever that was not engine related smoke....

The same two racers ran first round the next day and Phillips won.....

T Hall 03-21-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regan Wilson (Post 247570)
What are yall the Top End Police ? Those two guys are some of the best drivers in the Super classes . Both of them use the brake pedal when they need to . I have been accused of excessive braking before when it was actually a dip in the track that caused a wheel to lock up .

Best driver in the world or not does not give them a free pass to risk the safety of anyone else. NHRA has a rule on this but we all know how that goes.

Anyone know what the word "SHUD" and "YALL" means?

Bruce Adams 03-21-2011 08:58 PM

Come on yall, definitely engine needs rings. Valvoline oil smokes bad. Sherman's legs aint long enough to hit the brakes that hard!!!

david ring 03-21-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Adams (Post 247664)
Come on yall, definitely engine needs rings. Valvoline oil smokes bad. Sherman's legs aint long enough to hit the brakes that hard!!!

I was hoping to get some funny responses to my post and this response in right in line with what I was hoping for.

BLIND MULE 03-21-2011 09:57 PM

When they ran the next day Phillips went 148 and usually goes 162+. They are both great racers and there are only a couple on this thread that even remotely come close to there level. There are a bunch more aggressive drivers than the two in that picture I can assure you. Sherman said he was holding up a "10" after the job Phillips did on Sunday morning because he did a heck of a job.

CBS 03-22-2011 01:24 PM

Sherman or Tommy hit the brakes.....very unusual.......I think the oil just got up in the breather while braking lightly......

(that was a struggle....)

And Joe....what kind of comment was that....sometimes I get afraid and stop early so I don't go off the end....lol

dynomo 03-22-2011 01:30 PM

Its all fun and games until.....someone gets hurt

Maverick 03-22-2011 02:20 PM

I believe, they call this throttle STOP racing. Nice to see he has good brake balance. Is this a result of, not allowing the emergency hand brake system to be used? If it is, the then the separate hand brake system should be allowed for safety concerns. I always wondered, how the high MPH cars dropped back so fast at the finish line.:eek: I am starting to get a better picture of the whole picture.
Steve Willie Williams

BLIND MULE 03-22-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynomo (Post 247787)
Its all fun and games until.....someone gets hurt

Well take up needle point then.

Regan Wilson 03-22-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLIND MULE (Post 247813)

LOL ! That may be dangerous also . Honestly though there is a difference between braking under power and ..... well nevermind.....

chebby2 03-22-2011 06:51 PM

Sherm should switch to goodyear, mine don't put out that much smoke

Dave Steltz 03-22-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLIND MULE (Post 247813)

No offense, but until you have been run over by some one using up his brakes at the top at over 150 mph (for any reason much less trying to get a win), dont make STUPID comments...its aint fun, ask me how I know...

BLIND MULE 03-22-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Steltz (Post 247861)
No offense, but until you have been run over by some one using up his brakes at the top at over 150 mph (for any reason much less trying to get a win), dont make STUPID comments...its aint fun, ask me how I know...

I Have been there. I couldn't walk the next morning because I was so sore. So I guess I'm more qualified to make "STUPID" comments than any of these other idiots making comments.

Manny Sousa 03-22-2011 08:19 PM

Great Job Sherman!!!

Dave Steltz 03-23-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLIND MULE (Post 247873)
I Have been there. I couldn't walk the next morning because I was so sore. So I guess I'm more qualified to make "STUPID" comments than any of these other idiots making comments.

Like I said no offense meant, and if you have been a "recipient" of someones excessive braking and losing control then you know how I feel...

I'm not saying that locking up the front wheels doesnt happen, I've done it but not on purpose, it was more track conditions...but the guys who do it on a regular basis and brake slam with no regard to safety, I have no respect for, regardless of what they have won or not won, and I dont care if they have 50 Wallys...

SG1809 03-23-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Steltz (Post 248059)
Like I said no offense meant, and if you have been a "recipient" of someones excessive braking and losing control then you know how I feel...

I'm not saying that locking up the front wheels doesnt happen, I've done it but not on purpose, it was more track conditions...but the guys who do it on a regular basis and brake slam with no regard to safety, I have no respect for, regardless of what they have won or not won, and I dont care if they have 50 Wallys...

I agree with Dave, doing that is a total disregard for safety. I've seen this happen too many times. Several times with very serious results. Is it really worth it????
Pat I
Sg1809

Mickey Whaley 03-23-2011 08:02 PM

Has anyone ask sherman if he hit the brakes that hard to smoke the tires get the facts before you make comments keyboard racers. He told me his vaccum pump tank was full and overflowed onto the chassis and got loose.

Rich Biebel 03-23-2011 08:42 PM

OH!! Yes I see that happen a lot......:rolleyes:

CBS 03-23-2011 09:13 PM

See I told ya.....lol

Bruce Adams 03-23-2011 09:35 PM

Glad we got this fixed YALL, Shermanater !!!

Clint Rigby 03-23-2011 11:14 PM

This is racing fellas! If you plan on winning consistently in super categories you had better have that brake pedal tuned up tight.
Just be glad It was the fronts only. When the back tires get involved it gets interesting.

Darrin Christen 03-26-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Rigby (Post 248237)
This is racing fellas! If you plan on winning consistently in super categories you had better have that brake pedal tuned up tight.
Just be glad It was the fronts only. When the back tires get involved it gets interesting.

Sounds like you have first hand experience Clint!

Clint Rigby 03-26-2011 11:01 PM

Never had the rears lock up, flat spotted a few sets of front tires though. Not to say I'm proud of my finish line tactics at times but you know how it is in the heat of moment!

Bill Jackson 03-26-2011 11:36 PM

Never mind i was going to talk about a dragster and a chrysler lebron at Chicago.
Also why isn't Bill Hanes racing anymore?

Hugh Meeks 03-27-2011 10:44 AM

Tommy did it! He changed the picture on Sherm...plan B. Sorry , Sherm doesnt run Maxi Pads. Actually , pads were a gift from Rock so Sherm and Tater would start gettin behind him for a change. I knew there wasnt something right about them when I couldnt put em down? The elec. timer controlled pressure switch to extract "claws" is ingenious, hence the name I guess? Im sure everyone has them by now. Rock did say dont set above L6, it was uncharted.

Seriously, You guys should be glad you got a picture of it, Ive been around for a gazillion passes of Sherm since late '80's and I have never seen smoke once. There is noone more serious about safety in our camp or for Sportsman racers period.

Im with Manny, WAY TO GO SHERM! wish I was there!

Temporary Bench Racer

Maverick 03-27-2011 10:54 AM

I believe this idea of braking at the finish line, is going the wrong way. I see some one who wins the race by slamming on his brakes, gives the wrong thought to people, that this is the way a race can be won if you are later on the tree by a little, and the last thought is, this is a double breakout, so slam on the brakes. I am a chicken shick. I do not slam on the brakes because I am way ahead and I want to race tomorrow. I have heard of racers doing this and I did not understand it. And he was the divison champ! But that is part of the advantage of having the high mph cars, and pulling the hand brake at the last second and go double break out, and the guy that pull hardest wins. I believe this is the mentality for the high mph cars, but they are political correct and won't say that. I think NHRA should give the hand brake lever back to the high mph cars, but when they pull it, the chute comes out. Like I said I am a chicken shick. I try to dial my car. I am not winning. but I am having fun, and I feel for the things that go wrong when racers do the wrong thing. Sure don't seem right to me, need to change the names, from trans break, throttle stop, brake. Look for me in a Blue Probe and I wont hit the brakes, and you will probably win against me, but I am in it to have fun. And sometimes it take a lot of work to have fun the way things go sometimes

CBS 03-27-2011 01:05 PM

You guys are too funny....Bill.....???

Hugh....(former world champ).....you need an interpreter for that one....lol

Sherman is one of the best and the safest drivers out there....

Now Tatum is another story......lol

DIAPERMAN 03-27-2011 02:45 PM

Way to go Sherman !!!!

hotrodgeno 03-28-2011 08:08 AM

There are winners and there are loosers and now there are the just there to have fun group. I hate to tell them that winning is having fun. If they're having more fun than Sherm It's against the law. Go Sherm

Rick Bailey 03-29-2011 10:02 PM

Bill, there's been several crashes at Joliet, caused by excessive braking....one Mr Hanes, as you mention (which was ugly) and another that I witness from the second floor of the tower and that was Scotty Richardson and Gary Stinett.....another very ugly one.

It's amazing how these crashes are forgotten about....

Rick