CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Dime Rocket- DNQ (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=58130)

Mark Yacavone 05-25-2015 08:49 PM

Dime Rocket- DNQ

1 Attachment(s)
Okay..What's this misleading title really about?

Well, a few years back, when Billy started the Dime Rocket threads, we decided that turbo cars and FWD's weren't eligible, seeing that it was too easy to make them run under the index.

I do agree with that premise..but what Billy didn't tell you is that it takes about 40 years of doing this for it to be easy.

Anyway , this project is a DF/S car , and it did run 1.05 under the NHRA index on the second pass the other night...
A friend (who some of you might know) and I started on it in January.

Easy does it ...and I'll be glad to answer any inquiries about it if anyone cares to hear it.

I did take a few pictures along the way, but did not document every nut and bolt,..but I think I remember them...

MikeMoller 05-25-2015 09:43 PM

Re: Dime Rocket- DNQ

Mark, how 'bout some basic info - Monte Carlo? Engine? year?

Mark Yacavone 05-25-2015 09:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMoller (Post 471657)
Mark, how 'bout some basic info - Monte Carlo? Engine? year?

Okay..It's a 2003 3.4 60 degree Chevy V6 LA1 option (207 ci)
Not a totally original idea, but first in this body style and weight, I believe.
Before I forget..Blueprinted NHRA spec heads by Kadar Performance ..
PM me , or see Facebook

Billy Nees 05-26-2015 07:17 AM

So is it time to open the "Dime Rocket" deal to ANY combo? I'm OK with that. I'm OK with anything that gets people out to the races!
We could have a 3.4 Monte Carlo vs. Turbo Sunbird C/FS Matchrace! Loser buys the hotdogs.
I'm not quite sure that Tibors prices fall into the "Dime Rocket" range though. Maybe this thing is a "ringer"?

GTOMayhem 05-26-2015 08:11 AM

Mark,

PM sent.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Mark Yacavone 05-26-2015 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 471692)
So is it time to open the "Dime Rocket" deal to ANY combo? I'm OK with that. I'm OK with anything that gets people out to the races!
We could have a 3.4 Monte Carlo vs. Turbo Sunbird C/FS Matchrace! Loser buys the hotdogs.
I'm not quite sure that Tibors prices fall into the "Dime Rocket" range though. Maybe this thing is a "ringer"?

Ha. This thing is going in DF/S and staying there, once we get the weight installed where it belongs. (except maybe the IHRA 16.30 class ;-) ).
We have a family connection at Kadar Performance, so I don't know the pricing, but actually these heads needed to be straightened out anyway. Someone did a "valve job" on them last year,and carved them up pretty bad..Had to throw the valves away.
These heads are literally laying on the ground at the U pull it yards.
A little 3 angle , mill for cc's, and pop some new Comp beehive springs on them, and I don't believe they'd be too bad.

Dennis P Chapman 05-26-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 471692)

Hey can I get in on that lol

Mark Yacavone 05-26-2015 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis P Chapman (Post 471765)
Hey can I get in on that lol

Nope!

Dennis P Chapman 05-26-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 471780)
Nope!

You guys are no fun lol.................... good luck with new car.

Mark Yacavone 05-26-2015 09:22 PM

Thanks!
Yup, we'll stay in D , and away from the turbo cars...They're too easy haha

Dennis P Chapman 05-26-2015 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 471785)
Thanks!
Yup, we'll stay in D , and away from the turbo cars...They're too easy haha

But they are a lot of fun.

GTOMayhem 05-27-2015 08:30 AM

I may be the only other person interested, but I have a ton of questions. Mark knows why.
What wheel /tire combo up front? I see the spare wheels with skinnies on the rear.
I also see the single belt. Did you replace the steering rack or just bypass the pump?
What did you use for headers? Over the counter? (I somehow doubt it) Or custom? Not asking for secrets just an idea, as I have had a number of ideas to improve on what's available for this type of car.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Mark Yacavone 05-27-2015 12:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Rick,

Those are 22x 8 Mickeys on 15 x 7 mags we found in a U pull it yard.
The car came with 16's so the calipers needed a little "adjustment".
You nailed it on the rears. We will probably put tall ones in the rear when we come across some.
Yes , the original rack has the in and out tubing spliced together to hold some fluid in.
Much too fast a ratio, and very hard to steer with the slicks at low pressure, but I don't know what to do about it.
We made the 1, 1/2 , to 1, 5/8 step headers, using pieces from Speedway, and merge collectors off of Ebay. We had a local chassis shop water jet the flanges.
The overall length , basically was determined by the constraints of the front header exiting in the r.f. wheelwell. They are all welded...No tethers!
Thanks for your interest.

GTOMayhem 05-27-2015 04:35 PM

Awesome pics, thanks Mark. I was trying to figure out how to get equal length in this type of car. I was thinking of adapting full length RWD headers to exit the fenderwell, but was wondering about legality. Your solution is much more elegant, if you can use that word concerning a dime rocket.

I figured the steering would be difficult. I was thinking of running the power steering pump with a water pump motor. Have you or anyone you know tried that? Again I know this is another of our issues with a heavy FWD car.

Some taller rears should help with keeping the weight on the front. The W-bodies, Impalas and Grand Prixs can be raised in the rear using the variable rate spring from the Olds Intrigue.

Rory McNeil 05-27-2015 04:38 PM

Interesting headers Mark. Looking at that last photo howerver, I hope you never pop a head gasket!! Should be good for keeping the tires warm though....

Mark Yacavone 05-27-2015 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rory McNeil (Post 471870)
Interesting headers Mark. Looking at that last photo howerver, I hope you never pop a head gasket!! Should be good for keeping the tires warm though....

Huh! Never thought of that.
...Been doing them like that since the 80's.
Not too many other good options on some of these things.
I suppose it would be worse for a RWD to grenade a transmission and have the oil go under both drive tires ;-)

Dave Noll 05-28-2015 10:37 PM

GTOMayhem 06-02-2015 07:33 AM

Mark,

Are you running factory ECM or aftermarket EFI? If factory, are you using only one O2 sensor?

What mods to the transmission?

Rick
GTOMayhem

Mark Yacavone 06-02-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOMayhem (Post 472433)
Mark,

Are you running factory ECM or aftermarket EFI? If factory, are you using only one O2 sensor?

What mods to the transmission?

Rick
GTOMayhem

Rick , It is a factory computer reworked by Ed Wright.
Timing and fuel curves moved around, limiters and shut offs set at a high value.
No O2 's , no EGR, no vapor valve, etc are hooked to the computer.
LT1 adjustable fuel pressure regulator..That's all.
No electric trans signals of any kind...It is a mechanical T 125 C 3 speed.

GTOMayhem 06-02-2015 03:17 PM

Are you running a limited slip differential or spool?

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Mark Yacavone 06-02-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOMayhem (Post 472482)
Are you running a limited slip differential or spool?

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

No..No water burnouts!

Jon Sarrett 06-03-2015 07:31 AM

I don't know Mark. I think you may have exceeded the 'dime rocket' logic here. Nice build though.

Mark Yacavone 06-03-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Sarrett (Post 472549)
I don't know Mark. I think you may have exceeded the 'dime rocket' logic here. Nice build though.

Thanks, Jon.
Not really sure of the meaning of your comment, buddy.

My take is this:
We started with a commonly available $1000 car, and not one part for it laying around.
I built the engine, transmission, torque converter, headers, sub- frame bushings, trans. mounts, and adapted the water pump and alternator setups.
We reworked the original 200,000 mile roller lifters and rocker arms.
Fitted used wheels from the boneyard..

We had to pay someone to rework the OEM computer , but didn't buy a fancy engine controller system.
We had to have an axle shaft made, which was a bit beyond my capabilities with the machinery on hand.
Of course , we had to have a camshaft done, but is was something that you wouldn't find
in used condition anywhere.
The cylinder heads have to be done by someone competent, no matter what the build is.
Again, we don't have the equipment here to do them, but they are not anything fancy, or that would be expensive to have done..

My point in general would be..Do it yourself, wherever possible to keep the cost down...and that cheap is a relative term.

So, I don't know yet, but I would guess 5-6 dimes ,and definitely a rocket.
The guys here can call it whatever, as I said earlier

Rob Petrie E395 06-03-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 471839)
Hi Rick,

Yes , the original rack has the in and out tubing spliced together to hold some fluid in.
Much too fast a ratio, and very hard to steer with the slicks at low pressure, but I don't know what to do about it.

I have been searching for a receipt since I saw this last night to get a name and number. But cant find it. I have to get ready to leave for Div 3 race in Joliet this weekend. When I get back next week I will look some more. But I had a power steering rack modified to be used as a manual rack. Not the same car as you have here but it was a GM car. In any case they were able to change the ratio and it worked out great. Like I wrote I've run out of time. But I will look some more next week and try and find it. Good chance they could do one for this car too. And it was not too expensive. If I remember right it was a couple hundred bucks.

Mark Yacavone 06-03-2015 05:06 PM

Thanks, Rob

Might be interested in that...as long as it doesn't put over and out of the D/R designation.

Good luck

Rob Petrie E395 06-15-2015 05:48 PM

Finally found the name of the place after asking around on another site where I originally found out about it. The name of the place is Rack Doctor in Hemingway SC. The bad news is it looks like they may no longer be converting them to manual racks. Not sure why. But it may still be worth checking with them to see if they know someone who does still do them. Or if maybe for some reason they just dont have them listed on thier site anymore.

GTOMayhem 06-23-2015 12:45 PM

Mark,

I would love to see more pictures of the car. No detail would be to insignificant. Thanks in advance. And some more info on its performance.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Mark Yacavone 06-23-2015 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOMayhem (Post 474557)
Mark,

I would love to see more pictures of the car. No detail would be to insignificant. Thanks in advance. And some more info on its performance.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

I'll see about the pics..Can't show too much.You know how many people are gung ho about building this type of car.
Just put it back together after fine tuning some stuff after the first outing.
Working on adding weight ,as we speak.
We plan on running it again in a few weeks. We don't expect any big numbers @ 100 degrees and 4500 ' air though.

Mark Yacavone 06-29-2015 11:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Solid upper torque arm and lower cradle bushings

GTOMayhem 07-01-2015 09:09 AM

Thanks for more pictures Mark. I definitely have to purge my brain of street vs strip cars. I knew the torque arm bushings needed to be firmer, but never really thought about solid. Did you do anything to the lower motor mount and transmission mount? Looking forward to anything you can share. How light were you able to get it before you started adding weight back?

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Bob Don 07-01-2015 10:41 AM

Can I borrow your car for Indy?

Mark Yacavone 07-01-2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOMayhem (Post 475234)
Thanks for more pictures Mark. I definitely have to purge my brain of street vs strip cars. I knew the torque arm bushings needed to be firmer, but never really thought about solid. Did you do anything to the lower motor mount and transmission mount? Looking forward to anything you can share. How light were you able to get it before you started adding weight back?

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Rick, the main trans mount had to be fabricated with a combination of the OEM trans mount and original rubber part, which sits on an aluminum tab that's part of the engine cradle.
The OEM (r) front engine mount remains intact but we added two solid ones to the trans case .One in the left front behind the starter, and one where the right axle exits the trans.
The transmission will sit firmly in place while the engine is out of it.
About 2930 with no ballast.

Bob, I'd love to see that , but you'd have to get in line...

Mark Yacavone 07-11-2015 04:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Update here:
We got all the permanent weight for DF/S mounted up front and added a small weight box where we could easily fine tune the scale weight. Have to say , it didn't help much with the traction though. We're hoping it will be somewhat better at a national event prepared track, in the daytime
We haven't really done anything with the suspension yet.
I'm going to have to research the availability of an adjustable front strut or at least a stiffer one. Then maybe fool with the camber and toe in.
Still need to do something about the steering rack. We need to replace it with a manual one or maybe one tooth less on the pinion?

Anyway..Last night at Wild Horse:
90 to 100 degrees
4000 to 4600 da
28.5 baro

All runs between 1.09 and 1.14 under NHRA index for sea level tracks.

Billy Nees 07-11-2015 04:50 PM

Ya know Buddy, just when I start thinkin that you're getting soft or thinkin about givin up, ya come up with sumpthin innovative and different! I'm impressed!
AND it's affordable!

Mark Yacavone 07-11-2015 05:46 PM

Somebody said a while back that some cars just have to be built.
Even if only a few of us care.
Thanks, bro

Dwight Southerland 07-12-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 476077)
Somebody said a while back that some cars just have to be built.

Is there any other kind?

bob3240 07-12-2015 09:16 AM

Go Mark. Congrats.

Charlie A 07-12-2015 09:27 AM

Subject:

http://classracer.com/classforum/att...2&d=1436646002

SSDiv6 07-12-2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 476062)
Update here:
We got all the permanent weight for DF/S mounted up front and added a small weight box where we could easily fine tune the scale weight. Have to say , it didn't help much with the traction though. We're hoping it will be somewhat better at a national event prepared track, in the daytime
We haven't really done anything with the suspension yet.
I'm going to have to research the availability of an adjustable front strut or at least a stiffer one. Then maybe fool with the camber and toe in.
Still need to do something about the steering rack. We need to replace it with a manual one or maybe one tooth less on the pinion?

Anyway..Last night at Wild Horse:
90 to 100 degrees
4000 to 4600 da
28.5 baro

All runs between 1.09 and 1.14 under NHRA index for sea level tracks.

Mark, BMR suspensions has suspension pieces for your car. Also, there is a company that sells a traction bar for controlling the front A-arms during acceleration and there are also aftermarket mount for the engine and transmission that replaces the gel filled OEM mounts. After looking at the BMR pieces, you might be able to replicate them.

http://zzperformance.com/3800/suspen...ion-mount.html

http://zzperformance.com/3800/suspen...dog-bones.html

http://zzperformance.com/3800/suspen...ral-links.html

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...y_Code=3800_BS

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...y_Code=3800_BS

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...3&maincatid=53

You can use the KYB AGR adjustable front struts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-734058-F...618897&vxp=mtr

Mark Yacavone 07-12-2015 01:37 PM

Thanks, Joe
I think we could use the struts.
The rest has already been addressed or lists only the 3800 (Buick) engine.

I'm thinking we need to change the top of strut swivel to something of a spherical bushing nature. That in itself ought to help with the hard steering problem.
Do you think we could find something close, or time to fab something there too?
You know anything about the rack/pinion tooth count deal?