CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Live From" Dodge NHRA Nationals (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=67644)

Ken Miele 09-19-2017 10:51 AM

"Live From" Dodge NHRA Nationals

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, I'm here at the 33rd annual Dodge NHRA Nationals in scenic Maple Grove Raceway. Although its cloudy today, the weather forecast for this week is mostly sunny with temps in the low 80's. Maple Grove Raceway in the past has been jinxed with bad weather, but this weeks weather should bring out the fans. This track has a great fan base and a strong market. When the weather is good, this race typically packs the stands.

We have class for Super Stock, and baring any unforeseen issues we should get all the class eliminations in. I don't see a detailed schedule posted yet, but I am sure NHRA will post soon. There are about 40 rigs stacked so far, and with about 250 plus sportsman racers, there should be no issues with parking.

ken robinson 09-19-2017 03:07 PM

Re: "Live From" Dodge NHRA Nationals

What time will parking end on wed night

1299 09-19-2017 04:24 PM

Says 5:00pm

jmcarter 09-19-2017 04:52 PM

Run schedule is posted now:

http://www.nhra.net/2017/images/NHRA...ule_17_RP1.pdf

Ken Miele 09-19-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken robinson (Post 545490)
What time will parking end on wed night

Ken, parking starts at 7am and ends at 5pm.

Ken Miele 09-20-2017 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning everyone, At 6:45 they started pulling us in. Mark Adams has a handle on parking this season for sure. Every race I have been to parking starts 15 minutes before posted time. There were about 4 or 5 rigs with no one at home at 6:45. What a shame for the people that got stuck behind them. I guess the heat will be on the racers for not being at his rig, rightly so.

Bob Lang in the photo was out early directing traffic, Mark Adams and Dave Mohn were giving out paper work. Instead of driving out of the track and going all the way a round to the back like we have done for years, they brought us through the front making parking a breeze.

The weather looks great this week, and with the way parking is going, this race looks to be an enjoyable one.

Nmbr1GMfan 09-20-2017 10:06 AM

Thanks in advance for the weekend updates.

Ken Miele 09-20-2017 11:53 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan (Post 545560)
Thanks in advance for the weekend updates.

My pleasure Todd.

The first photo says it all, a empty stacking area. At around 8:15 everyone was parked. We started at 6:45. I know I sound like a broken record, but my last two nationals have been great. No issues with parking or stacking. In fact the whole year has been pretty good. Most racers will agree that parking can be very stressful, some times more than the racing. This year is just different, with the parking crew being so accommodating and polite, it takes a lot of stress off the racer.

Thanks guys, I don't know all your names, but I know your faces. It means more than you know to get us parked in a timely fashion with our friends. Topping that off with a quick credential line.... life is good.

Anyone heading out today or tomorrow should get parked with no issues. Parking stops at 5pm and starst up again at 7am.

The last photo is not a race car, but dam do I want one. Thanks Dave Thomas for making me drool again.

Ken Miele 09-20-2017 11:55 AM

7 Attachment(s)
A few more....

Bob Don 09-20-2017 02:06 PM

x2 on great parking and efficient registration. No lines, no hassles.

Ken Miele 09-20-2017 06:22 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Not many cars out today, but I did find a few more. Start time tomorrow is 8:45 with Stock. Stock also gets 4 qualifying runs and Super Stock has class.

Tom P 09-21-2017 02:16 AM

Great stuff Ken.
The GT/AA Corvette is interesting. There haven't been any GT/A or B class cars running yet have there?

I think if you (or your chauffeur) petition NHRA you could get a McLaren to fit in A/Stick. :)

goinbroke2 09-21-2017 06:06 AM

Tom, the vette is John Armstrong from Nova Scotia. Anybody know if allyn is there too?

Mike Jones 09-21-2017 07:39 AM

A.A. is on the entry list
Mike A114
P/SA

Ken Miele 09-21-2017 08:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by goinbroke2 (Post 545651)
Tom, the vette is John Armstrong from Nova Scotia. Anybody know if allyn is there too?

Allyn is here.

Good morning all, its 66 and sunny, it looks to be a great day of racing. Stock through Comp are the only classes schedule today. Stock is out first at 8:45. Track prep is almost done and we should get the call at 8:30 to start engines and head to the lanes. There is a curfew and we can not start engines before 8:30.

Ken Miele 09-21-2017 11:23 AM

9 Attachment(s)
The day is moving fast. Stock has already run two qualifying shots, Super Stock is running there 2nd qualifier. The Super Classes are in thier 2nd time shot. Here are some photos from this mornings action.

I will be back later today with lots more photos, I want to get at least two hits at the tree today.

Ken Miele 09-21-2017 11:31 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Next batch.

Charlie Ford 09-21-2017 12:20 PM

Hey Kenny, is Anthony actually entered as "XX"?

Tom P 09-21-2017 01:14 PM

Nice pix again. There sure isn't much of a crowd of spectators for such a quality field of racers. You would think at least a couple hundred could show.

Anyone know what engine combo in John's Vette ? I assume not the usual SS/AA one.

Wayne Scraba 09-21-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom P (Post 545685)

Anyone know what engine combo in John's Vette ? I assume not the usual SS/AA one.

Best guess is it's the same engine; only claimed as a 1969 Camaro ZL1 engine instead of a Corvette L88 engine. According to Dwight Southerland's (excellent) Class Racer Info site, the 1969 ZL1 is at 476 while the 1969 L88 is at 503 with aftermarket heads. I know which one I'd pick....L-O-L.

Ken Miele 09-21-2017 05:23 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Ford (Post 545677)
Hey Kenny, is Anthony actually entered as "XX"?

That's a mistake, it should be AA.

We are done for the day, no issues and plenty of runs for all. Here are some photos from today's action. I will have lots more later, but I have to do a little work on the race car. I have been neglecting it for the last few races.

Winklovic 09-21-2017 09:20 PM

Thanks for posting pics!

Can someone provide powertrain details for Scott Gove's SS/AM Daytona?

Todd Boyer 09-21-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winklovic (Post 545718)
Thanks for posting pics!

Can someone provide powertrain details for Scott Gove's SS/AM Daytona?

As far as I know, Scott has two engine combos for it, P5 Hemi and W9 Wedge. Both are 358 ci, use two dominators, close to, if not above 10,000 rpm, and a liberty 5-speed.

Ken Miele 09-21-2017 10:13 PM

9 Attachment(s)
I'm stilling editing photos, but here are some up close shots. Check back often as I will have more photos as the night wears on. I did forget to mention that we had tear down here. A handful of Stock and Super Stockers did go to the barn today. I did not get photos as I was busy, but they all passed with out issues.

Hacksaw 09-21-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Scraba (Post 545690)
Best guess is it's the same engine; only claimed as a 1969 Camaro ZL1 engine instead of a Corvette L88 engine. According to Dwight Southerland's (excellent) Class Racer Info site, the 1969 ZL1 is at 476 while the 1969 L88 is at 503 with aftermarket heads. I know which one I'd pick....L-O-L.

At the Nat. Open at Cayuga, John told me that he was running the same engine combo and not trying anything new.

Ken Miele 09-21-2017 10:36 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Next batch....

Ken Miele 09-21-2017 10:40 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Last batch for the night, Stock out first tomorrow 8:45 round 1.

Ken Miele 09-22-2017 07:24 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Good morning everyone, the sun is out and we have another great day for racing. I think we are looking at some type of record for this race as far as weather goes. This race has been jinxed with bad weather for almost every year I have been coming here.

We have two heads races in Stock this morning. Shipp vs Moulton C/SA and Williams vs Mitchell F/SA.

I few more photos from yesterdays action.

Ken Miele 09-22-2017 07:29 AM

9 Attachment(s)
You hate to see race cars at the end of the day on jack stands. I know the last photo of the Cook Brother's car is not good. The oil pump pick tube broke and they lost oil pressure. Bearings looked a little rough, but the crank was okay. The could not get bearings, so they are out of competition this week.

Winklovic 09-22-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Boyer (Post 545723)
As far as I know, Scott has two engine combos for it, P5 Hemi and W9 Wedge. Both are 358 ci, use two dominators, close to, if not above 10,000 rpm, and a liberty 5-speed.

Thanks! The engine is a screamer.

Vid from May 2017
https://youtu.be/1iI-Wdm2llI

Angelo DiTocco 09-22-2017 08:49 AM

Nice pics ken

modelman1960 09-22-2017 08:53 AM

Hey everyone.
Not that you all can answer as you're the racers etc. but where are the announcers on All Access? All that's coming over the stream is engines sounds from the burnout box and crossing the finish line?
GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a safe race everyone.

Shaun Quill 09-22-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelman1960 (Post 545750)
Hey everyone.
Not that you all can answer as you're the racers etc. but where are the announcers on All Access? All that's coming over the stream is engines sounds from the burnout box and crossing the finish line?
GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a safe race everyone.

I've got sound but mine keeps freezing up

Ken Miele 09-22-2017 01:40 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Stock and Super Stock along with the Super classes are done for the day. Stock will be out first tomorrow for round 3. A few shots from today's action.

Bob Bender 09-22-2017 02:48 PM

On Thursday broke the rear on Q1, got it fixed and on Q4 broke a pollylock. Then on E1 lost the brakes at the finish line. What a bad two days.

Ken Miele 09-22-2017 03:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bender (Post 545759)
On Thursday broke the rear on Q1, got it fixed and on Q4 broke a pollylock. Then on E1 lost the brakes at the finish line. What a bad two days.

Geez Bob, could it get any worse. Here are a few a shots from the crowds today. The first photo is when Comp was running a qualifier. The other two are from the pros. The place is jammed, and its only Friday.

Dave Siltman 09-22-2017 07:44 PM

Quote:

Sorry I couldn't make it today as I plum just ran out of energy. Hope all works out and you get some better luck soon.

Ken Miele 09-22-2017 10:12 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Action shots from John DiBartolomeo Drag Racing Edge Magazine www.dragracingedge.com

Tim H 09-22-2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

True but a bad day at the races is still better than being at work !

Doug Walker 09-22-2017 11:23 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Friday morning stockers.