CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Attempted trailer break in at Maple Grove (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=67675)

Dan Fletcher 09-22-2017 05:28 PM

Attempted trailer break in at Maple Grove

I can't really believe this happened. I've raced a long time and thought I had seen everything. Once again, I've been proven wrong.

Last night, at about 3am, someone tried to break into one of our trailers. it has a double side entry door with a barn door latch. One of my kids and thank God his dog were sleeping inside. The barn door latch was obviously not engaged as its on the outside. It has a couple of cheese whiz latches on the inside to simply keep the doors closed, not really to stop someone from ripping them open. Some phallus inhaler yanked the door so hard it pulled the self tappers out of the wall and left the latch and hardware on the ground. Thank goodness, the dog freaked out and scared said pos off before any theft or vandalism occurred.

I guess the point of my post is to let everyone know, including myself, that no segment of the world is safe from assholes, even the race track in the middle of the night. I always used to lock my trailer and motor home at night, but frankly have grown a little lax with doing so in the last few years. Not no more, and I'd recommend everyone else do the same. I have my concealed carry permit, but don't take my weapon out of state as its illegal to do so. I'm thinking I'll be taking my chances with the law until I get the appropriate out of state permits asap.

I can't remotely wrap my head around a racer or crew person doing something like this, but who in the **** else is still here in the middle of the night...

HR9121 09-22-2017 05:44 PM

Re: Attempted trailer break in at Maple Grove

I have no words right now but I for one will go back to locking mine up after reading this. I thought we were past this crap after they caught the one guy a few years ago but obviously not....

Jerry Terry 09-22-2017 05:55 PM

Dan There is a list of states that honor other states CCW permits, just google it.
It is hard to believe that some one who races with fellow racers would do something like this but its like you said we just get relaxed and go back to taking it for granted that everybody is a nice guy !!!

Jerry

Denny Steward 09-22-2017 05:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up Dan. Hope you guys find the asshole!!!!!

1855sc 09-22-2017 06:01 PM

X2 what Denny said. I am having a hard time believing, but other than security(or lack there of) there is no one else in the pits.
Glad the dog was there to assist, before it got ugly.

Nmbr1GMfan 09-22-2017 06:15 PM

Unbelievable! As mentioned check reciprocity laws and give that dog a cheeseburger tonight.

Dan Fletcher 09-22-2017 06:18 PM

Florida permit will get me a lot, have been going to get it for a while, this just escalates the urgency. And PA is an easy one, just have to stop into the town offices and its a rubber stamp.

Gary Merrick 09-22-2017 06:29 PM

A lot of things happen in the pits at night when NORMAL people are sleeping.

On Tuesday night at Indy, I was parked in my pit spot and sleeping very soundly. I was pitted between the Hall brothers from Texas (really nice folks) and Joe Martens (who is also a nice guy) was pitted on the other side. At around midnight, my motor home shook so hard, I thought it was an earthquake. I didn't have a clue what had happened til the next morning. Some "low life" (trying to keep it clean) ran into the driver side slide rear corner of my motor home. I assume the damage was done with a golf cart, with green paint still showing on the slide. The reason they ran into the motor home was that in between me and the Hall's trailer, was a cast iron storm sewer/man hole cover sticking out of the ground about 5 to 6 inches. Obviously, at midnight it is rather dark, so the dumb a** didn't see it when he or she went between the two trailers. There was a scrape mark on top of the sewer cover, so I assume, they hit that, and then lost control and got thrown into the corner of the slide. Did anyone come to see me in the next five days and tell me that they were the responsible party? NOPE!!!!

So if you know someone that has a green golf cart with damage on the right side, I think I know what caused the damage and if your kids or a friend of yours that borrowed the golf cart gave you some BS story, don't believe it.

The damage was minimal to the motor home, but that is not the point, if you do something wrong, grow a set and OWN up to it.

Gary Merrick
3522 Stock

Superfan1 09-22-2017 06:33 PM

It is hard to believe that a fellow racer or crew member would do something like this, but there are lowlifes everywhere I guess. The perpetrator should have his b**ls cut off.

Greg Barsamian 09-22-2017 07:11 PM

https://blinkforhome.com/collections...ecurity-camera

Floyd Staggs 09-22-2017 07:16 PM

I hate to hear that cheap happening. It's happened to me out here.I
Where is Roy Hill when you need him?

barnca2010 09-22-2017 07:23 PM

saw this a few minutes ago.

John-Tina Gaydosh is feeling pissed off.
2 hrs ·
So not only did we miss Q1 and Q2 because not having a starter somebody stole our golf cart. It's crazy as many races we have been to and never had this problem. We had NHRA officials looking and jack was on a mission but thanks to Eric Ercole and his daughter we got it back. Just know whoever did it if I find ya I want you arrested so ya better leave the track TINA

Nmbr1GMfan 09-22-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnca2010 (Post 545789)
saw this a few minutes ago.

John-Tina Gaydosh is feeling pissed off.
2 hrs ·
So not only did we miss Q1 and Q2 because not having a starter somebody stole our golf cart. It's crazy as many races we have been to and never had this problem. We had NHRA officials looking and jack was on a mission but thanks to Eric Ercole and his daughter we got it back. Just know whoever did it if I find ya I want you arrested so ya better leave the track TINA

Just saw this too. Lock it all down!

nickh 09-22-2017 07:53 PM

Unbelievable, Dan sorry this has happened, your like the rest of us we claw and bust our a** to have anything decent, then this. Our society has no morales no ethics. Glad everyone is okay, hell last night at 1030 there were 3 vehicles speeding through neighborhood shooting at each other and I live in a nice quiet neighborhood! Dialed 911 took 15minutes to reach operator. over 25 rounds of 9 & 45 cal casings in my street.

I also carry everywhere I go, if they have signs saying you cannot come in with it I go somewhere else.

Biscayne 09-22-2017 08:08 PM

I went to Maple Grove back in July for Super Chevy and had one of my tents stolen in broad day light right out of the swap meet area. I've been going there over 30 years and never had a problem. Not that way now. You better lock your s*** up at that place now!

Ed Carpenter 09-23-2017 12:42 AM

I take all 3 of my service weapons with me to the track. My favorite is my AR-15. Go ahead try to break into my ****. I've had a tech guy ask why are you carrying that gun. I said man as a state trooper I know there are turds EVERYWHERE!

Bob Bender 09-23-2017 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=Ed Carpenter;545820]I take all 3 of my service weapons with me to the track. My favorite is my AR-15. Go ahead try to break into my ****. I've had a tech guy ask why are you carrying that gun. I said man as a state trooper I know there are turds

HandOverFist 09-23-2017 12:26 PM

I no longer own any firearms as I realized years ago I no longer had control of my temper. I will however beat you blind with a stick lol.

Floyd Staggs 09-23-2017 01:38 PM

There are 40 states that have respiratory agreements. There is a bill in Congress right now for all states.
I would think that you could have one in the motor home no matter since it is considered a residence.

Dave Kommel 09-23-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd Staggs (Post 545839)
There are 40 states that have respiratory agreements. There is a bill in Congress right now for all states.
I would think that you could have one in the motor home no matter since it is considered a residence.

Floyd - It's legal to breathe in all 50 states (at least as of now), but I think you mean reciprocity agreements! :D

Now back to the subject at hand...

Nmbr1GMfan 09-23-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Kommel (Post 545845)
Floyd - It's legal to breathe in all 50 states (at least as of now), but I think you mean reciprocity agreements! :D

Now that was funny.

Floyd Staggs 09-23-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Kommel (Post 545845)

You knew what I meant, I just couldn't spell it. LOL!

Dave Kommel 09-23-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd Staggs (Post 545852)
You knew what I meant, I just couldn't spell it. LOL!

Floyd - Of course I knew what you meant, but that was just too good to pass up! Humor is wherever we find it!

Floyd Staggs 09-23-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Kommel (Post 545855)
Floyd - Of course I knew what you meant, but that was just too good to pass up! Humor is wherever we find it!

You got that right. I remember when all my stuff got stole out of my truck I bitched about the potatoes chips more than anything else. 😉

Dyno 09-23-2017 08:55 PM

In 2000 I bought a 41' Gold Rush trailer in eastern Pa., sorry I forgot the Comp racer I got it from. I traveled back west and stayed the night in the middle of Pa. Stayed the night at a Holiday Inn and parked directly in front of the office. Asked the front desk to watch my stuff over night and they said they would, I came out in the morning and the door lock was drilled out and every cabinet door was open. Because the trailer was empty, nothing was taken, but the Comp number was on the back of the trailer. .I am sure the thieves thought they had hit a gold mine. It seems that the farther east you go, the worse it gets.Never had a problem anywhere in Div 3 and Div 5.

Frank Castros 09-23-2017 10:30 PM

Many years ago our mini bike was stolen at Maple Grove. It was chained to our open trailer and they cut the chain with a bolt cutter. Hard to believe in Amish country.

killintime6968 09-24-2017 12:24 AM

A couple of years ago I had my race trailer broken into and had all my tools and parts stolen for 2 302 chev super stock engines. 2 weeks ago someone broke into my 5th wheel trailer and stole the generator, solar panels and a variety of other items.

Bruce Cameron
68 Nova E/S
68 Camaro SS/I or ?

Carl Battis 09-24-2017 12:30 AM

As many of you know, a few years ago in Dallas I had my trailer stolen with the 69 Camaro B/SA 396/375 inside that I had built myself with my racing friends....along with all the other race upport stuff like spare trans, compressor, generator etc. While it didn't happen at the track it was nonetheless such a violation of my privacy that took a long time to get over. I finally got another car and got back on the track mid-year last year.

This year I have done a fair amount of racing in Division 7 and Division 6. I've met a lot of great people and made some new friends. I've also had a couple of items stolen out of my pit overnight.....a brand new 7 gallon water jug at Phoenix and a really nice Summit 2 ton jack at Woodburn. It brought to the surface some of the feelings I had experienced when the Camaro got stolen. I was pissed at a level that far exceeded the anger that would be appropriate for petty theft. I hope I never catch anybody taking something out of my pit.....it will end badly for everybody. Thieves amonst us makes me feel bad - I had higher expectations for fellow racers.

Strawboss 09-24-2017 09:00 AM

It is a crying shame that we have to keep everything locked up. I still believe these are not racers but low life people that come in to take advantage of us. We had the golf cart stole in Atlanta several years ago at the starting line while we were making a run. We got it back by us doing a lot of looking. When we found it with 2 young boys in the camp ground next to the track they ran and got away. They were not racers on with racers. It was stolen at Memphis a few years later at the rest rooms. We got it back both times and they were not racers or with racers and both times the keys were in the cart. Don't give a thief an invitation. I don't believe it is racers or people helping racers that are taking these things for racers know how hard we all work to have the tools and parts we have.

cad 09-24-2017 12:01 PM

I also have my CCW....and will continue to put at least one back door lock and side door lock on.

Nice site for those interested in CCW...http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Clark

MR DERBY CITY 09-24-2017 12:35 PM

When making a run or out on the pit bike I have made an effort to lock the trailer the last few seasons. Unfortunately, there are thieves and crack heads EVERYWHERE.....The fact that I don't carry a piece won't help the POS that attempts to break in my truck or trailer....

Floyd Staggs 09-24-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY (Post 545904)
When making a run or out on the pit bike I have made an effort to lock the trailer the last few seasons. Unfortunately, there are thieves and crack heads EVERYWHERE.....The fact that I don't carry a piece won't help the POS that attempts to break in my truck or trailer....

All you need is some gas and a match. Lesson from Roy Hill.

CMcAllister 09-24-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Castros (Post 545873)
Many years ago our mini bike was stolen at Maple Grove. It was chained to our open trailer and they cut the chain with a bolt cutter. Hard to believe in Amish country.

Yes, things are getting bad. Reading has become a rather bad area as the government seeks to spread dependents west from the urban areas. Then you have Philly close. Hard to believe crooks and kids would buy a ticket to get in and expect to be able to carry stuff out the gate. Would be easy to park in the upper field at Maple Grove and cut a hole in the fence to get in late at night. Just have to be prepared and aware.

Tom Goldman 09-24-2017 05:02 PM

It's just too easy for some lowlife to walk in on a general admission ticket and stay late and blend in until its dark .

troublemaker427 09-24-2017 07:19 PM

Reading PA. is full heroin addicts.(like most cities) Looks are very deceiving when it comes to the area Maple Grove is located in. It wouldn't take much for an opioid addict to sneak into the track.....

Ed Fernandez 09-24-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Fletcher (Post 545781)
Florida permit will get me a lot, have been going to get it for a while, this just escalates the urgency. And PA is an easy one, just have to stop into the town offices and its a rubber stamp.

Dan if you're talking about a non resident permit you have to be very careful. Fla. non res. is not recognized in NY,NJ,PA and Md here in the East. Where it is recognized there are certain restrictions that if you don't follow them to the tee you'll be wearing an orange jumpsuit. If you have a NY resident permit it makes it a lot less complicated, but there are still restrictions in some of the Blue states. There's a booklet you can get on line that outlines gun laws in all 50 states. Be careful about info you get on the Internet, it can get you in a heap of trouble.
Also having a firearm and using it on someone breaking into your trailer and or stealing your things can get you thrown in the can in some places. It's a big responsibility carrying and can offer piece of mind if you consider all the consequences of your actions.
I got my Fla. non resident a few years ago, and 2 months later PA refused to recognize non resident permits. The only place I can carry is Del. Who the hell goes to Del. (besides my pal Earl Nichols).
BTW there are a few other states that issue non resident permits, some good some not so good.

SSGN 09-24-2017 09:41 PM

A good dog is worth more than a good gun. You have to be awake to use the gun but a good dog will do that for you. I have a cop friend that swears a good dog is better than the best alarms. Even the smallest of dogs will awake you. When I am not home my dog guards my family and she is no light weight! Just glad you and the boys are ok Dan

G Schenck 09-24-2017 09:55 PM

He was just trying to steal Dan's secrets on winning. The problem is they were not in the trailer, they were in the toterhome ( between Dan's ears )

Greg

ps. Glad nothing was taken

Mike Schwartz 09-25-2017 12:42 PM

Way back when I would drive my cars to the track to race them, I thought I was being cool by taking all the loose weight out of my car and stashing it under a tarp in my pit space. (Like an extra 1/10 meant anything in a 16-sec bracket car!)

That all ended when I had my tool box stolen from the pits at Englistown. Since then, anything that travels with me to the track stays locked in the car the entire time.

TBR151J 09-26-2017 10:45 AM

"Phallus inhaler"...best insult I have heard in a very long time...lol

Doesn't really matter where you go anymore, people will try and take advantage of any chance they can get. I know when we were racing we always locked our stuff up, but let's be honest, if someone wants to get it, they are going to damn well try their hardest.

Glad it worked out for the best Dan and thanks for giving us all a heads up.