CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   8 point roll bars (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=6367)

Philip Saran 07-28-2007 08:35 PM

8 point roll bars

I just bought a 1974 Plymouth Duster 383/727/4:56 bracket car (can't afford $$ or time)
needed to campain a Stock Eliminator car (SB motor) until I retire.

I can buy a decent mild steel 8 point kit from S & W racecars in PA and I have a buddy
who welds for a living and has offered to do mine (he races a 67 Barracuda FB 408 stroker).

Comments? Opinions? Should I be pricing fabrication/chassis shops in the SOCAL area
also?

Mark Ruset 07-29-2007 07:54 AM

Re: 8 point roll bars

S&W is the way to go, I can't say enough good things about the fit. I am using one now in my camaro and all the notches and angles were dead on. As an added benifit they are now paying contingency money for a roll bar. How can you go wrong?

Mike Hedger 07-29-2007 11:59 AM

Phil, I have welded in quite a few "KIT" roll bars in the past and I can tell you the S&W is the only one I buy if I am not going to bend one myself. They fit great and I have always had good service from them in the past, also I think they are having a sale on their roll bars now so now is the time to do it. Stokes Hellerman is the salesman I have used there for a few years now he is a good guy and will treat you right. Good luck, Mike

Dave Goob Cook 07-29-2007 01:53 PM

I'd shop for a local speed shop or distributor that won't hose you for truck freight on a 100# + package......

I got mine freight free from a speed shop that bought through VSI or Motor State Distributing, they truck free to their customers.

I ended up with a Competition Engineering kit that fit my car well, added my own touches to it from local chassis / farm shop supplied tubing, and the X-brace kit.

Goob- I hate paying freight!

Mike Hedger 07-29-2007 02:52 PM

Dave I live in Texas and only have to pay around 40.00 for freight on a roll bar kit. They can ship Fed Ex so they are not truck freight from S&W. The last two CE roll bas I had customers bring me did not fit very good at all so I went exclusively with the S&W kits unless I am going to bend one myself. Also the difference in the sale price pretty much pays for the freight.

Philip Saran 07-29-2007 07:27 PM

Thank you all for your input.

Mike, I'll be calling S&W on Monday. It feels good to start making some
forward progress on this project.

I went junkyarding yesterday and bought a set of front bucket seats out
of a 2003-2005 Dodge Stratus dark grey color and seem to be light in weight
but with headrests and lumbar support.