CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ring and pinion microniting (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=59606)

jim powers 09-21-2015 07:01 PM

ring and pinion microniting

need to see who is the preferred guy to have a new set of motive pro gears micronited??

dannyboy 09-22-2015 08:40 AM

Re: ring and pinion microniting

Tommy Lee Performance
Statesville, N.C
423-534-1457

Great Guy and great service

Myron Piatek 09-26-2015 07:00 AM

I've had gears done at Evans Performance in Atlanta, GA. They appear to be outlasting non-treated sets.

http://www.evansperformance.com/home2.html

MikeMoller 09-29-2015 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyboy (Post 483025)
tommy lee performance
statesville, n.c
423-534-1457

great guy and great service

x2

69Cobra 09-29-2015 02:38 PM

Can somebody tell me what exactly this is and its benefits?

Dragsinger 09-29-2015 03:06 PM

69 Cobra,

this will help

http://www.evansperformance.com/home2.html

69Cobra 10-01-2015 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragsinger (Post 483707)

Well I guess I'm missing something here. I understand the REM or ISF finishes and the Cryo treatment. But what about the micronited as the OP is referring to? I'm assuming that this is a "friction coating" but is this a dry film coating that is applied that can and will wear or chip off or is it something that is imbedded into the metal like I understand Microblue to be? I'm just trying to figure out what does what and how they are different from each other. I've been looking at Microblue'ing my ring and pinion but I'm just trying to understand the differences between everything that's out there.

Signman 10-01-2015 07:10 PM

Micronite is the name of a company which began in New Jersey then was purchased and made part of the Crane Cams Company which went bankrupt. Those who purchased the cam and ignition products did not buy the metal finishing business.

Micronite had machines constructed (did not purchase machinery) and developed their own processes.
Some or all of Micronite metal finishing machines were purchased by Tommy Lee Performance mentioned above.

The process is called isotropic metal finishing it is not a coating. The advantage over some other processes is that the finish in non directional. The part is tumbled with abrasives of different size, shape and grit, dry or wet. The part and abrasives are loaded in a drum which is loaded in rack with others. The rack rotates while simultaneously the drums rotate in the opposite direction. Speed frequency and time along with the abrasive and fluid are very important as you may imagine the motion creates a homogeneous mixing process.
The object is to remove high spots (peaks) on the metal surface while leaving the low spots (valleys). Little material is actually removed we're talking tens of thousandths, other process are very aggressive. Depending on how many steps in the process the part can end looking like it was chrome plated. When you see the crank shafts at PRI that look chrome plated they were put though an isotropic finishing process.

The high abrasive peaks removed leaving the low lubricant holding valleys. Where metal contacts metal friction and heat is reduced, much of the opportunities for cracks to develop are removed.

Barnstorm 10-01-2015 07:24 PM

I used to smoke Kent cigarettes with the Micronite filter

69Cobra 10-02-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signman (Post 483930)
Micronite is the name of a company which began in New Jersey then was purchased and made part of the Crane Cams Company which went bankrupt. Those who purchased the cam and ignition products did not buy the metal finishing business.

Micronite had machines constructed (did not purchase machinery) and developed their own processes.
Some or all of Micronite metal finishing machines were purchased by Tommy Lee Performance mentioned above.

The process is called isotropic metal finishing it is not a coating. The advantage over some other processes is that the finish in non directional. The part is tumbled with abrasives of different size, shape and grit, dry or wet. The part and abrasives are loaded in a drum which is loaded in rack with others. The rack rotates while simultaneously the drums rotate in the opposite direction. Speed frequency and time along with the abrasive and fluid are very important as you may imagine the motion creates a homogeneous mixing process.
The object is to remove high spots (peaks) on the metal surface while leaving the low spots (valleys). Little material is actually removed we're talking tens of thousandths, other process are very aggressive. Depending on how many steps in the process the part can end looking like it was chrome plated. When you see the crank shafts at PRI that look chrome plated they were put though an isotropic finishing process.

The high abrasive peaks removed leaving the low lubricant holding valleys. Where metal contacts metal friction and heat is reduced, much of the opportunities for cracks to develop are removed.

Ok... SO if I'm understanding this correctly, this basically the same as the REM or ISF surface finishing which removes the high spots and make everything look all nice and shiny?