CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Stocker roll cage bar beyond firewall rule...... (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=54184)

Rusty Davenport 07-29-2014 02:04 PM

Stocker roll cage bar beyond firewall rule......

I just ask the crew on the west coast about running the roll cage bars through the dash beyond the firewall and attaching to the frame. They said there was no safety advantage in doing that and NO to the idea in stock eliminator. The NO is ok with me as long as we are consistent but am I missing something on the safety advantage ??? Can I weld the mounting plate to the floor pan ???

David Lee 07-29-2014 04:40 PM

Re: Stocker roll cage bar beyond firewall rule......

I wonder where he got his degree in mechanical engineering. .

SSDiv6 07-29-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lee (Post 439783)
I wonder where he got his degree in mechanical engineering. .

What makes you think a mechanical engineer gave the response?

SSDiv6 07-29-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty Davenport (Post 439767)
I just ask the crew on the west coast about running the roll cage bars through the dash beyond the firewall and attaching to the frame. They said there was no safety advantage in doing that and NO to the idea in stock eliminator. The NO is ok with me as long as we are consistent but am I missing something on the safety advantage ??? Can I weld the mounting plate to the floor pan ???

NHRA has never allowed any component that is part of the roll bar or roll cage to go past the firewall in Stock Eliminator.

David Lee 07-29-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDiv6 (Post 439788)
What makes you think a mechanical engineer gave the response?

I was try to state that he was very ignorant in his response. Any roll bat that would extend beyond the firewall would be helpful in a front end crash.

The statement was sacasm

Karl Owens 07-29-2014 09:24 PM

now there are 8 second stock eliminators, shoudnt safety be #1 priority. What is NHRAs reasoning behind not allowing roll bars to tie the complete chassis together? Firewall flex and broken trans cases can be dangerous at high speeds. Look how long it took NHRA to allow aftermarket brakes in Stock which in my opinion any component that improves safety should never be an issue. The other issue I have problem with is steering, I think rack and pinion should be allowed in all classes, to replace antique steering on most cars beside newer ones.

David Lee 07-29-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Owens (Post 439831)
now there are 8 second stock eliminators, shoudnt safety be #1 priority. What is NHRAs reasoning behind not allowing roll bars to tie the complete chassis together? Firewall flex and broken trans cases can be dangerous at high speeds. Look how long it took NHRA to allow aftermarket brakes in Stock which in my opinion any component that improves safety should never be an issue. The other issue I have problem with is steering, I think rack and pinion should be allowed in all classes, to replace antique steering on most cars beside newer ones.

Thank you!

Billy Nees 07-30-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Owens (Post 439831)

Ho Boy, here we go again!
And extending the cage is ONLY a safety issue. There's NO performance benefit at all to stiffening up the chassis or getting that heavy-*** old steering out of the front and replacing it with lite stuff.
Here's a novel idea, If you personally don't feel safe in your 8 second Stocker, then get a 12 second Stocker!

Karl Owens 07-30-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 439858)
Ho Boy, here we go again!
And extending the cage is ONLY a safety issue. There's NO performance benefit at all to stiffening up the chassis or getting that heavy-*** old steering out of the front and replacing it with lite stuff.
Here's a novel idea, If you personally don't feel safe in your 8 second Stocker, then get a 12 second Stocker!

That means cars that came originally equipped with a steering rack have an advantage.

Rusty Davenport 07-30-2014 08:28 AM

Does this even get looked for in tech ??? I find it hard to believe that the new stocker factory rockets are complying with this rule----- really ???