CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Battery question (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=74943)

R.Baudoin 12-15-2019 11:13 AM

Battery question

Time for new batteries. Has anyone gone from 2 XS/16 volt batteries to 1-16 volt Braille batt ery. Will my XS charger work with it also. It's also for a LS motor. Weighing the pros and cons of doing this. Any opinions?

Dragsinger 12-15-2019 03:27 PM

Re: Battery question

R,

the main consideration is reserve capacity. A D1600 XS battery will go several rounds without charging. [the "D" meaning deep cycle] [without an alternator]

If you have an alternator the smaller batteries will, well, get by, however, the smaller batteries can also get you in trouble in the later rounds where the bigger battery reserve capacity is your insurance.

rboyle 12-15-2019 08:51 PM

I know several racers that use them regularly. Even in SC dragster. I use 12v though

my69396 12-17-2019 11:37 AM

Other than having more reserve, and maybe weight, is there any advantage to having a 16 volt battery?

SST3193 12-17-2019 09:21 PM

16v made the buddy's SC car usable. 12v was just not able to keep up with everything, without an alternator. Faster fan cools the car better, the fuel pump would be marginal on 12v and he can use lights at the end of some dark racetracks.
A dead 16v battery still makes around 13v. A good deal for his operation.

cmracing 12-19-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SST3193 (Post 604049)
16v made the buddy's SC car usable. 12v was just not able to keep up with everything, without an alternator. Faster fan cools the car better, the fuel pump would be marginal on 12v and he can use lights at the end of some dark racetracks.
A dead 16v battery still makes around 13v. A good deal for his operation.

But a dead 16v battery at 13 volts will not turn over the engine.

I always run a normal 12 volt battery with an alternator. Double and triple enter my cars, dual electric fans, electric water pump, EFI gobbles a lot of juice, especially with a Weldon fuel pump, never an issue, ever!

PS: 16 v batteries certainly make your power windows work quickly! But I will deal with them at normal speed.......

bykr 12-29-2019 11:38 PM

Braille battery customer service is great. I'd only use a Braille charger.

FED 387 12-31-2019 02:50 PM

If you are just trying to start the engine use 2 --12 volt batteries connected in parallel----same 12 V voltage BUT you get double the amperage----will really turn over the starter but not burn up sensitive equipment because of excess voltage--- charge with your regular charger ---best to NOT use a digital charger use the "old style" with the gauge---you can monitor the charging rate better and always use the lowest charge rate to avoid surface charging them--trickle charge with a float capability works great---good clean tight connections are a must as well as properly sized cable and GOOD grounds- We used 2 Braille's --FED 387

vic guilmino 12-31-2019 03:44 PM

what are the stock guys using ?????

lorenr 12-31-2019 04:49 PM

FED 387,

Thank you for that explanation. I use two large 12 volt batteries on my diesel coach. One will do the job, but the amperage explanation makes a lot of sense.
I understand now. I will charge them as you suggest from now on.