CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   dyno testing (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=21923)

Rick Shirey 11-22-2009 07:17 PM

dyno testing

How many of you have your engines dyno tested,what dyno is used and what are you paying for this service? Thanks for any and all input.

RJ 11-22-2009 08:01 PM

Re: dyno testing

SF-902, $600 per 8 hrs.

Jeff Lee 11-22-2009 08:31 PM

I always do. It tells you if the engine is going to hold together and gives you some numbers to work wit without guessing (like stall speed, launch / shift RPM's, gearing in trans and rear, etc). My advice is to get a flat rate to include set-up and full series of runs, whatever is required, to find optimum adjustments (timing, fuel system, lash). Additional charges would be anything above and beyond such as changing parts (cam, intake, etc.).
In the end it's a lot less than hashing it out on the drag strip, especially if you are primarily racing at NHRA events.

Mike Taylor 3601 11-25-2009 10:23 AM

Around 600.00 is common and well worth it. If you haven't dyno'ed before don't worry about certain amount of power just max out your combo,don't worry about how much so&so makes get a baseline for that dyno and how fast your car goes with those numbers, look at average power&torque numbers over whole range you run your engine at.You can come up with good baseline tune up as starting point.Maybe fastest as dyno'ed may need small tweaks,but you know where to start from.You'll spend more money trying to test& tune your combo than what dyno cost plus you eliminate weather,track etc. and not wearing out the car.
Mike Taylor 3601

Wade_Owens 11-25-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed OBrien (Post 153110)
You need an operator that is a good tuner and some are better than others . Have a nice day

Rick, Ed is right. I have used Mike Keown and BES. Also, both are very knowledgible, excellent tuners and trustworthy. Classy gentleman and truly care about taking care of your stuff.

Mike Keown 812 282 4726
BES Racing 812 576 2371

You wont be disappointed.....

Wade Owens

TinSoldier 3215 11-25-2009 07:19 PM

We use BES RACING ENGINE two, and Rich the tuner is great,and they make LOTS OF HORSEPOWER!!:D:D:):):D great guys!!!

gmonde 11-25-2009 08:26 PM

i didnt dyno test my combo,(i should of ),i depends on your combo (is it brand new ,,carb,,cam ,,heads)or is it a combo with mild changes that depends on dyno time or not ,you cant race a dyno ,,but it is a great tool for start up and unforseen issues such as leaks,afr,exhaust temp,oil presure at high rpm,and geting a base line to start from ,but dont be disappointed in the numbers that come off the dyno ,every one of those units is not consitant with hp/torque numbers ,like mentioned work with your machine shop ,,pitch in to do work in hook up and have an arsonal of items to try once the base line is set
easy items (different size headers,couple carbs,even rocker arm sets ,)

gmonde

Bill Grubbs 11-26-2009 09:51 AM

When you have decided to dyno engines as part of your program, always use the same dyno and operator. This way when there is a change in HP you will know when to be pleased or concerned.

Bill