CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   LT1 no start (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=55433)

John Nechiporchik 10-26-2014 10:43 PM

LT1 no start

Testing today at Milan...After second pass, clicked motor off after finish line. When I went to start it on return road, would not start.
Did a quick test before loading it up. Has spark at coil wire but no spark at plugs.
Checked ECU fuse....was OK. Several threads on here discuss rotor "slinging blades". Should the cap/rotor be my next step in the investigation process or are there any other possible causes.
I replaced the cap/rotor earlier this year and it is a pain in the a-- to change. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Dyno 10-26-2014 10:50 PM

Re: LT1 no start

I broke 3 rotors before I started to pin them. They would always break on shutdown.

Ed Wright 10-27-2014 07:21 AM

What happens is, the two small plastic pegs that the two pieces of the metal blade on the rotor in place break. If your lucky, that is all that tore up. May need a new cap also.
I drilled the two small plastic pegs holding them on a stock rotor with a 1/8" drill, ant put them back on with two long 1/8" pop rivets. Made several 8000+ RPM passes that way with zero problems.

Since then, MSD came out with a cap and rotor. They use two brass screws to hold it together. Might check into that. Pretty red parts.

John Nechiporchik 10-27-2014 10:09 AM

Thanks Dyno and Ed.

Ed Wright 10-28-2014 12:33 PM

Dyno posted his while I was trying to type mine.
Sorry.

John Nechiporchik 10-28-2014 01:39 PM

No problem, Ed. Thanks for responding.
I will likely get it apart tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know what I find.
For info, is the correct MSD part number 84811 for the cap and rotor kit for the 98 LT1 ?
John

Rob Petrie E395 10-28-2014 04:16 PM

84811 is for 95-97 LT1's which are vented and have are pin driven. The other opti for pre 95's is spine driven and non vented.

John Nechiporchik 10-28-2014 05:55 PM

Thanks Rob, Mine is of the 95-97 vintage,
Also, Dyno and Ed.......your diagnosis was right on. The rotor is shattered and it banged up the cap as well.
Thanks for your help.
John

Dyno 10-28-2014 07:31 PM

I would break one and bring it back to the dealer for a new one the next Monday. After three times, they would not warranty it any longer, so I had to fix it. Glad you found it. Dyno

Ed Wright 10-28-2014 07:49 PM

Before I got my Bowtie block, and got rid of the Opti (I had a crank trigger, and only used it for the cap & rotor) I finally had a shaft bearing come apart. Tore up everything inside. I don't know that a Stocker would have that problem. I would imagine another 1000/1500 RPM would effect that. I have been told MSD has a better bearing on the shaft in their Optispark, but do not know that for certain.