CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Musical Tastes (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=76442)

Mark Yacavone 06-10-2020 01:03 PM

Musical Tastes

As requested in another thread here, I'll reply to what genre of music I listen to.

Let's do this first ..Post a video of the kind of music you listen to while in the shop, or driving to and from the races. Give us a bit of background about your choice, and whether it's changed, etc.
Let's do only one video per post, per day, and give people a chance to catch up.
Thanks

I'll go first.
Lately , I've been listening to my Pandora Americana station. (John Prine, Emmylou Harris, Old Crow Medicine Show, soundtrack from Oh Brother Where art Thou, etc.)
But, in the larger picture, this all stems from the Country Rock scene, starting in about 1968 with The Byrds, Sweetheart of the Rodeo album..The first country album by a major rock act. Then on to Poco, Acoustic Dead, Eagles, Linda Ronstadt , CSNY, Brewer and Shipley, Pure Prairie League, Jackson Browne, Manassas, Michael Nesmith's First National Band, Firefall..recently the younger Alt-Country guys such as Son Volt, with a bit of rock , and a country twinge...

Here's The Bottle Rockets, from Indy...and they sound a bit like Crazy Horse to me..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdD6...aynext_from=PL

Jeff Niceswanger 06-10-2020 06:08 PM

Re: Musical Tastes

Lets see how this goes.
I honestly try to listen to some of the new stuff. Once in a while I really hear something that hits a nerve. But it's a one hit wonder, not that the band only had one hit, but I only liked one of their cuts. If it don't have a kick drum, lead guitar riff, and vocals that you can at least partly understand, I'm out. That's one reason I never liked Springsteen. He sounds like he has a mouth full of dog s**t. I'll start off with this one. It was 1976. I was asked to go to a Genesis concert that a buddy had tickets to. I'd had not heard of them and I didn't go. At the time, I was all rock and roll like most other guys in my town of Zanesville.... Aerosmith, Bad Company, Electric Light Company, Foghat were typical albums in my rack. At the time I was driving an 69 Camaro L-88 and trying to be Fonzy. I had the car, just not the girls to go along with it. Every Friday,
when I got off work, the kid I ran with and I would take our paychecks and head to the state liquor store. We would both buy a fifth, and then head to one of three record stores in town. We would buy a couple albums for " the weekend". Since co -worker Shane had mentioned Genesis, I picked up their newest release.This Genesis album I'm about to p[lay did not get played that weekend. I worked 2nd shift, and after getting home after midnight I put this album on for a try. It was late, and I had a couple young girls living next door that had to work the next day, so volume was moderate.What I heard changed my taste in music to this day. Track after track I thought to myself " what the hell did I just listen to". I later discovered I had stumbled on the beginnings of progressive rock. Have a listen. This is off of Wind and Weathering. I actually like the previous one best, Trick of the Tail

https://youtu.be/5ATLKR_htrk

Jeff Niceswanger 06-10-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 616345)
As requested in another thread here, I'll reply to what genre of music I listen to.

Let's do this first ..Post a video of the kind of music you listen to while in the shop, or driving to and from the races. Give us a bit of background about your choice, and whether it's changed, etc.
Let's do only one video per post, per day, and give people a chance to catch up.
Thanks

I'll go first.
Lately , I've been listening to my Pandora Americana station. (John Prine, Emmylou Harris, Old Crow Medicine Show, soundtrack from Oh Brother Where art Thou, etc.)
But, in the larger picture, this all stems from the Country Rock scene, starting in about 1968 with The Byrds, Sweetheart of the Rodeo album..The first country album by a major rock act. Then on to Poco, Acoustic Dead, Eagles, Linda Ronstadt , CSNY, Manassas, Michael Nesmith's First National Band, Firefall..recently the younger Alt-Country guys such as Son Volt, with a bit of rock , and a country twinge...

Here's The Bottle Rockets, from Indy...and they sound a bit like Crazy Horse to me..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdD6...aynext_from=PL

Mark,
If we get back to live concerts someday, when these guys come to your area, go see them. We go every year, they pack every place they go, and they play the smaller venues. Its a awesome show. You wont be disappointed. Its like walking back in a 1980's album.....you can't beat it for 50 bucks

https://youtu.be/gKiyAQdtpsM

Eddies66 06-10-2020 06:32 PM

Tahoe normally has a really great outdoor venue every year. We have seen Paul Simon, James Taylor, Peter Frampton and Chris Stapleton with Steve Miller. But not this year, so with the move we will be back in SoCal and Fantasy Springs will have to do, we have seen CSN&Y and Heart there.

Mark Yacavone 06-10-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddies66 (Post 616379)
Tahoe normally has a really great outdoor venue every year. We have seen Paul Simon, James Taylor, Peter Frampton and Chris Stapleton with Steve Miller. But not this year, so with the move we will be back in SoCal and Fantasy Springs will have to do, we have seen CSN&Y and Heart there.

Eddie, Are you still in Smith? Are you going to Fallon this weekend?

Mark Yacavone 06-10-2020 06:59 PM

Jeff, I'm usually not a big fan of cover bands, but I will do one for tomorrow's video

I left out a few in my earlier list of influences, so I will edit them in. I do like many other genres , so you might be surprised later on.

Eddies66 06-10-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 616383)
Eddie, Are you still in Smith? Are you going to Fallon this weekend?

We have two weeks before closing, stuff is starting to get packed. Everything is up in the air. I know Bill O'Conner talked about going but that is all I have heard. Moving to the place were all the ole folks go...Palm Springs area i.e. Rancho Mirage.

Mark Yacavone 06-10-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddies66 (Post 616388)
We have two weeks before closing, stuff is starting to get packed. Everything is up in the air. I know Bill O'Conner talked about going but that is all I have heard. Moving to the place were all the ole folks go...Palm Springs area i.e. Rancho Mirage.

I'm in Fernley at the moment, so I'll be there. Not a great spectator, but I've never been there, so why not?
Catch you down the road then...Be safe

Jeff Niceswanger 06-10-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 616386)
Jeff, I'm usually not a big fan of cover bands, but I will do one for tomorrow's video

I left out a few in my earlier list of influences, so I will edit them in. I do like many other genres , so you might be surprised later on.

I hate cover bands too . Ok for your local bar, but that's about it. I was dragged to my first one. Wow, ...go see them

Eddies66 06-10-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 616389)
I'm in Fernley at the moment, so I'll be there. Not a great spectator, but I've never been there, so why not?
Catch you down the road then...Be safe

It is going to be Fontana and Irwindale once the smoke clears. Try the Slanted Porch in Fallon for good food, it is on the 95 South. It will be great to be back with ole friends: Tony, Greg, Bill, John and Gary.

Mark Yacavone 06-10-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddies66 (Post 616392)
It is going to be be Fontana and Irwindale once the smoke clears. Try the Slanted Porch in Fallon for good food, it is on the 95 South. It will be great to be back with ole friends: Tony, Greg, Bill, John and Gary.

I'll check it out ..Maybe tomorrow night.

John Kissel 06-10-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger (Post 616377)
Mark,
If we get back to live concerts someday, when these guys come to your area, go see them. We go every year, they pack every place they go, and they play the smaller venues. Its a awesome show. You wont be disappointed. Its like walking back in a 1980's album.....you can't beat it for 50 bucks

https://youtu.be/gKiyAQdtpsM

Wow, they are great!!! Brings back a lot of memories, especially when I was driving for Tropicana, as we had 2 great stations, 98 Rock from Tampa, and 96 K Rock from Ft. Meyers. Early in '90. 98 Rock decided to be Led Zeplin only, just the the "new coke" came along, both ideas didn't last that long. I love L.Z. , but enough was enough. Diane Upton was on 98 at lunch time for "Liquid Lunch" and would always play great albums all the way through.Thankyou, John Kissel

gsa612 06-10-2020 09:35 PM

Here's our forum "Rockstar" Brent Flynn with his band Flynnville Train from Ind.This ones a cover that they did in France,they also play their own stuff.There's a playlist on Youtube,tight band with good tunes!...gsa612 https://youtu.be/1E7mKJM_c2k

Jeff Niceswanger 06-11-2020 08:34 AM

Do you guys remember when albums/songs were recorded in true stereo? Probably in the late 60's early seventy's. Jan and Dean, Beach Boys days .. It all kind of went away when surround sound systems hit and cars started having 20 speakers .LOL Here's an example,. You won't be able to here it on your phone if that's how your listening. (another reason its not around anymore) but if your on a desktop with two traditional speakers, listen to this song, and the 1st lead guitar in the left speaker and the 2nd lead in the right. Even the voices are clearly separated .... I miss the old stuff sometimes ....

https://youtu.be/lS7pOaEEOTs

Greg Reimer 7376 06-11-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddies66 (Post 616392)
It is going to be Fontana and Irwindale once the smoke clears. Try the Slanted Porch in Fallon for good food, it is on the 95 South. It will be great to be back with ole friends: Tony, Greg, Bill, John and Gary.

Glad to hear you're back, even if it's Geezerville. I decided last July after Summit to take a year off and get away from all this for a while.I might run the last two Irwindale Summit races and the Fontana divisional, then again, I might not. Depends what I feel like doing. At any rate, we'll meet at the 1000 foot seats at Pomona for the Finals. Winternationals was fun, but there's nothing like entering. This season was a wash out, anyway,so I guess I picked the right year to take off.

Eddies66 06-11-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 (Post 616430)
Glad to hear you're back, even if it's Geezerville. I decided last July after Summit to take a year off and get away from all this for a while.I might run the last two Irwindale Summit races and the Fontana divisional, then again, I might not. Depends what I feel like doing. At any rate, we'll meet at the 1000 foot seats at Pomona for the Finals. Winternationals was fun, but there's nothing like entering. This season was a wash out, anyway,so I guess I picked the right year to take off.

Listen to you...Geezerville. We are all there, whether we like it or not. We close on the 30th. Right in the middle of summer, something I was trying to avoid...oh well. Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and would like to get back to Irwindale and seeing you and the rest of the guys. Have you heard if John Barkley is going to run the '57 again?

Eddies66 06-11-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger (Post 616425)
Do you guys remember when albums/songs were recorded in true stereo? Probably in the late 60's early seventy's. Jan and Dean, Beach Boys days .. It all kind of went away when surround sound systems hit and cars started having 20 speakers .LOL Here's an example,. You won't be able to here it on your phone if that's how your listening. (another reason its not around anymore) but if your on a desktop with two traditional speakers, listen to this song, and the 1st lead guitar in the left speaker and the 2nd lead in the right. Even the voices are clearly separated .... I miss the old stuff sometimes ....

https://youtu.be/lS7pOaEEOTs

When I was going through boot camp, the Drill Instructors would put on this song and others for about 10 seconds and shut it off just to screw with us.

Jeff Niceswanger 06-11-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddies66 (Post 616433)
When I was going through boot camp, the Drill Instructors would put on this song and others for about 10 seconds and shut it off just to screw with us.

Well that's cool. Took you back. Its amazing how we are wired to music, isn't it Eddie? Especially on songs that were not so popular as to become a classics, but in their day, you played the hell out of them. You won't hear one of those songs for years, maybe decades, but when you do, you,.... for just a few seconds are right back in that exact spot. You can remember so vividly. Goosebumps. The sights, smells, everything comes back just as it was. How do we do that ?

Eddies66 06-11-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger (Post 616434)
Well that's cool. Took you back. Its amazing how we are wired to music, isn't it Eddie? Especially on songs that were not so popular as to become a classics, but in their day, you played the hell out of them. You won't hear one of those songs for years, maybe decades, but when you do, you,.... for just a few seconds are right back in that exact spot. You can remember so vividly. Goosebumps. The sights, smells, everything comes back just as it was. How do we do that ?

I do try to connect with today's music but if I hear Beck, Clapton, Page, Hendrix, today's artists are just in the shadow of greatness.

Dave Ley 06-11-2020 11:19 AM

I have for the most part been a Traditional Country music fan. However, I am a huge fan of The Mavericks and listen to them every day.

Mark Yacavone 06-11-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger (Post 616425)

Remember the song, of course..I did know that Jay Ferguson formed the band after Spirit broke up...Lots of ways to go here..I got a Line on You, Fresh Garbage, Uncle Jack... Let's do Thunder Island...live :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdfyUZUllLI

Jeff Niceswanger 06-11-2020 02:27 PM

Mark,I think we are gonna bore these guys with our off the wall bands. I hope not, maybe they will enjoy.I always went from mainstream, to unknown,then back to main stream.I loved finding bands that nobody heard of, way before they were found. Most never became big,one did, a little band out of Boston named Boston. I was listening to them 6 months before anybody in our town even knew who they were. There was a band from Steubenville, a small town not far from here in Zanesville that I KNEW was going to make it big. But they never did. They were so different at the time, and just good musicians and writers. You might have heard of them as you seem pretty deep. I'm gonna list the lyrics, as I always paid attention that part . Its about our world, years after we all kill one another, spoken from someone standing on the moon....
It's kind of funny now as they speak of killing one another with virus ...

Something's wrong from the moon, my friends
Something's wrong from the moon
As I look down at you my friends
Poor little man
You been run down
Poor little man
You're all run down
I can see right through your eyes
I can see right through your weary eyes
I can hear right through your cries
I can hear right through your drunken cries
When they spit, do you wash their floors
And pray that they don't spit no more
Or, rise up children, life goes on and on
Wise up children, life goes on and on

In the dark you cannot see
In the dark the victory is fear
Like a fool you follow fools
Like a fool you follow what you hear
Will they blow us all apart
Or kill us all with virus darts
Or, rise up children, life goes on and on

On the moon they're laughing hard
On the moon they're falling off their seats
From the moon we're comedy
From the moon we're really quite a treat
Shall we have another beer
And slobber through another year
Or rise up children, life goes on and on
Rise up children, life goes on and on
Wise up

Something's wrong from the moon my friend
As I look down at you my friends

https://youtu.be/ADCWAfrTk8Y

Greg Reimer 7376 06-11-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddies66 (Post 616432)
Listen to you...Geezerville. We are all there, whether we like it or not. We close on the 30th. Right in the middle of summer, something I was trying to avoid...oh well. Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and would like to get back to Irwindale and seeing you and the rest of the guys. Have you heard if John Barkley is going to run the '57 again?

Wanna shoot for Irwindale sunday August 2? That could work. I think I might have something to drive around here. Amazing what you can find in a pinch when you need to. Winternationals reminded us of that.

Eddies66 06-11-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 (Post 616467)
Wanna shoot for Irwindale sunday August 2? That could work. I think I might have something to drive around here. Amazing what you can find in a pinch when you need to. Winternationals reminded us of that.

Hope to be all moved in and have this house sold. I will keep it on the calendar. No kidding, but it made a couple people real happy to be back in the hunt. I have to put 2 more degrees in the pinion angle per Mr. Gay of CalTracs...easy job. I will let you know as the date gets closer.

Billy Nees 06-11-2020 05:07 PM

Hoo Boy, this thread is so refreshing!

Mark Yacavone 06-11-2020 05:50 PM

Jeff, You really crossing into the arcane realm with Crack The Sky LOL

I try to dig up stuff that someone might have heard 40 years ago, but it's just not played on the vile "classic rock' stations..I can't listen to them for 10 minutes..Make that 2 songs.

The problem I have with Boston is not of their making. More Than a Feeling was probably the best debut song in the rock era..But c/r plays what, only 3 songs by them, over and over and over.?

I'm exceeding my self imposed daily limit here, but this is not a music video, per se
I found it fascinating, and I know nothing about playing music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynFNt4tgBJ0

Jeff Niceswanger 06-12-2020 09:05 AM

Sorry Mark, and everybody, my taste are way out there sometimes ....Good stuff though, and I couldn't resist since Crack the Sky was neighbors.I'll step it back to mainstream. But a little off the mainstream, as like you, I hate played to death classics Think I'll go with 38 Special and Lynyrd Skynyrd. But how bout a two,fer?..Is that OK Mark? It's a southern 2 fer .. LOL....
This first song was before anybody knew who 38 special was. It's off their first album and I don't think very many people own a copy of it. I always thought it was cool as it's actually has a 38 special Car on the cover. Most people probably think of a gun.The second Skynyrd tune is off an earlier album also and includes some really nice guitar work in the second half of the song. Its just a nice tune ... Turn it up ..

https://youtu.be/AZlkeqATsFI

https://youtu.be/JkPlxZ7azJ4

It's been so long since I've been gone
Another day might be too long for me
Traveling around I've had my fill
Of broken dreams and dirty deals
A concrete jungle surrounding me
Many nights I've slept out in the streets
I paid my dues and I changed my style
Seen hard times, all over now

I want to come home. It's been so long since I've been away
And please, don't blame me 'cause I've tried
I'll be coming home soon to your love, to stay

I miss old friends that I once had
Times ain't changed and I'll be glad when I go home
I don't know why the thought came to me
But why I'm here I really can't see, and now

I want to come home. It's been so long since I've been away
Coming home to stay
Coming home to your love, mama
I've seen better days

I miss old friends that I once had
Times ain't changed and I'll be glad when I go home
I don't know why the thought came to me
But why I'm here I really can't see, and now

I want to come home. it's been so long since I've been away
Coming home to stay
Coming home to your love, mama
I've seen better days

Mark Yacavone 06-12-2020 11:58 AM

Here's a successful Ohio band, that still exists today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Prairie_League

This track, from 1972, was produced by Mick Ronson, who played with Bowie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vzzdUrJWI

gsa612 06-12-2020 08:45 PM

Here's M R's cover of a Doors classic from 1980.Gotta love the Album Cover!...gsa612 https://youtu.be/msIhYW5jTmw

SStockDart 06-12-2020 09:17 PM

Try this on for size...google search.... "Hallelujah veterans version"
I love old old Girl Groups....Ronettes, Shirelles, Crystals, ...Strawberry Rainbow.... older Country, and some Christian stuff.

John Kissel 06-12-2020 10:05 PM

I love a lot of southern music, Skynyrd's Red, White&Blue has 3 videos for the song, the best one has lots of military action and home coming stuff that really makes you think,and Alabama.s Christmas in Dixie reminds me a lot of where I consider home, rural Florida. Yes it can snow in Florida Christmas Eve, Bradenton in1989, and I have pictures. John Kissel

SStockDart 06-12-2020 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsa612 (Post 616585)
Here's M R's cover of a Doors classic from 1980.Gotta love the Album Cover!...gsa612 https://youtu.be/msIhYW5jTmw

Jim Morrison got kicked off a commercial flight in Phoenix....he was drunk, stoned or whatever. My neighbor, at the time, worked at the Phoenix police headquarters and has the original booking photo of him. He was messed up.....but the height of his career.

I may have put this is a wrong spot....thought you typed "Doors" as in Jim Morrison.

gsa612 06-12-2020 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStockDart (Post 616595)
Jim Morrison got kicked off a commercial flight in Phoenix....he was drunk, stoned or whatever. My neighbor, at the time, worked at the Phoenix police headquarters and has the original booking photo of him. He was messed up.....but the height of his career.

I may have put this is a wrong spot....thought you typed "Doors" as in Jim Morrison.

Your ok,Roadhouse Blues was originally done by the Doors (Jim Morrison) in 1970.If you look at Morrison,Hendrix,Janis Joplin they all died (OD'd) within a year.They all were at the height of their career and made bad choices.All had so much more to give,sad...gsa612

SStockDart 06-12-2020 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsa612 (Post 616598)
Your ok,Roadhouse Blues was originally done by the Doors (Jim Morrison) in 1970.If you look at Morrison,Hendrix,Janis Joplin they all died (OD'd) within a year.They all were at the height of their career and made bad choices.All had so much more to give,sad...gsa612

Seems like their was a magic age when they died....I maybe wrong. Seems like Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson...and others died at the same age.

I need to edit this..lt has to include "the rain, park, and other thing....by the "Cowsills"....anyone that has returned to the US after the **** shot out ya....sorry...I will settle down.⁸⁹

SStockDart 06-13-2020 01:40 AM

Favorite group is relatives to the age you grew up...me....beach boys...anything that would keep my head on my shoulders....f.ck the rest of ya. I made it, minus a spleen.
Sure. I'm pissed when azz holes in Seattle disrespect us.
Sorry. I may die tomorrow, but no one will miss interpret where my allegiance is.

Jeff Niceswanger 06-13-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStockDart (Post 616602)
Favorite group is relatives to the age you grew up...me....beach boys...anything that would keep my head on my shoulders....f.ck the rest of ya. I made it, minus a spleen.
Sure. I'm pissed when azz holes in Seattle disrespect us.
Sorry. I may die tomorrow, but no one will miss interpret where my allegiance is.

Its been a while since you and I talked Gary !. Gary and I used to have some lengthy discussions years ago on Union verses management. He was a executive for Coke a Cola ( right Gary )? and I was a Union leader for a large breakfast cereal and snack food manufacture ( UE United Electrical Radio and Machine Workers of America) ..Not arguments or name calling, really good discussions. Miss you Gary....That was back before discussions like that got out of hand by some folk, and we were banned to the basement . LOL.
Back to music. Gary, back years ago I was out by you in Phoenix. While at the airport catching a flight home I was having a COKE ! at the bar in a small sandwich shop.In walks Alice Cooper. He's not wearing any make-up but looks just about the same. He has a real pretty girl with him. Everybody in the place heads are turned watching his every move as he slowly walks over to the juke box against the wall. He study's it, puts in a quarter, pushes his selection. As he's walking away a song starts to play. Problem is it is B side of Doris Day or something no one in the place has ever heard of. He looks about the room,shrugs his shoulder and tells all of us "I sure as heck didn't play that !". We all laugh and painfully listen to the rest of that song... I had to leave and never heard his second choice.
Today I'm gonna stick with my Southern Rock genre as I'm still in the mood. Allman Brothers was always a favorite of mine. They have a sound that is just plain down unique.This song is an instrumental. It was made while Brother Dwayne was still alive before he was killed on his motorcycle. Later to be put on Eat a Peach, dedicated to Dwayne. Very good tune and guitar work/drum work...

https://youtu.be/bSLMFv1uzsE

Jeff Niceswanger 06-13-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 616551)
Here's a successful Ohio band, that still exists today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Prairie_League

This track, from 1972, was produced by Mick Ronson, who played with Bowie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vzzdUrJWI

Now that was tasty..... I missed that one. Didn't know they were that electrical .

Mark Yacavone 06-13-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger (Post 616611)
Now that was tasty..... I missed that one. Didn't know they were that electrical .

Mick actually played with PPL for about a month..Check out his version of this song on Y/T

There's another version of the band during the Vince Gill era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sFCgl8rKdU

Eddies66 06-14-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger (Post 616609)
Its been a while since you and I talked Gary !. Gary and I used to have some lengthy discussions years ago on Union verses management. He was a executive for Coke a Cola ( right Gary )? and I was a Union leader for a large breakfast cereal and snack food manufacture ( UE United Electrical Radio and Machine Workers of America) ..Not arguments or name calling, really good discussions. Miss you Gary....That was back before discussions like that got out of hand by some folk, and we were banned to the basement . LOL.
Back to music. Gary, back years ago I was out by you in Phoenix. While at the airport catching a flight home I was having a COKE ! at the bar in a small sandwich shop.In walks Alice Cooper. He's not wearing any make-up but looks just about the same. He has a real pretty girl with him. Everybody in the place heads are turned watching his every move as he slowly walks over to the juke box against the wall. He study's it, puts in a quarter, pushes his selection. As he's walking away a song starts to play. Problem is it is B side of Doris Day or something no one in the place has ever heard of. He looks about the room,shrugs his shoulder and tells all of us "I sure as heck didn't play that !". We all laugh and painfully listen to the rest of that song... I had to leave and never heard his second choice.
Today I'm gonna stick with my Southern Rock genre as I'm still in the mood. Allman Brothers was always a favorite of mine. They have a sound that is just plain down unique.This song is an instrumental. It was made while Brother Dwayne was still alive before he was killed on his motorcycle. Later to be put on Eat a Peach, dedicated to Dwayne. Very good tune and guitar work/drum work...

https://youtu.be/bSLMFv1uzsE

Speaking of "Eat a Peach", after graduating from boot camp I went home, Arizona, took 30 days leave before reporting to my first service school, Jacksonville, . I had a '63 split window Corvette, 327 sbc, 4 speed and 4.56 gears. I packed everything up and headed out, not realizing that I had left all my music at home except "Eat a Peach". I think I still remember every word and verse of that 8 track tape.

Mark Yacavone 06-14-2020 02:21 PM

I talked about cover songs and bands earlier ,and how I was not a big fan ..One exception would be one of the greatest...All Along the Watchtower, Hendrix.

Here's another exception..These guys really work hard at this..Tough to pull off with NJ, NY accents ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkxI0e0tOM0