CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Not for Nuthin' But Close! (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=77389)

Robin Lawrence 10-26-2020 08:12 AM

Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

I just pulled up a HP Tuners file for that engine combination and body. the speed limiter is active at 106 MPH and turns back on at 104.

very basic ECU and should be very easy for you to come up to speed.

Most notable the Torque table limits in 4 gear. There are no COT or Cat Over Temp in this ECU.
Your rev limiter as 6500.
Could be a little in the shift scheduling also.
I have my own chassis dyno that I do some work on the side so I play with some of the late model flash ware like the HP Tuners.
Great project! Good luck.

Robin

Mark Yacavone 10-26-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Knox (Post 626649)
What about using an aftermarket computer? Is it hard to put in everything you need?

Marty, You've got to re-read the title of this thread . LOL

Marty Knox 10-26-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 626679)
Marty, You've got to re-read the title of this thread . LOL

Mark, I've never priced an aftermarket computer.
How much do they cost?

Mark Yacavone 10-26-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Knox (Post 626713)
Mark, I've never priced an aftermarket computer.
How much do they cost?

I have no idea ;-)

Mark Yacavone 10-27-2020 12:48 AM

Billy, That gas is kinda expensive for this program , isn't it?
Do you use it in anything else ? How much , per ?

Billy Nees 10-27-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 626741)
Billy, That gas is kinda expensive for this program , isn't it?
Do you use it in anything else ? How much , per ?

No, not at this time but I might try it in some other stuff. Depending on where you buy it, it's no more expensive than supreme.
I wanted something without a really high octane rating to start out with because I can't do anything about advancing the timing... yet.

Robin Lawrence 10-27-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 626717)
I have no idea ;-)

Well I have a little experience in this area. One option is what I mentioned earlier about a flashware product such as HP Tuners. Link to hardware. https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2/
The hardware will set you back about 300 plus another 100 for the license to modify the file. Once that is done you can reflash or tune as many times as you wish. You will need a laptop computer also.

There are a ton of Stand Alone ECU's out there. Some are fairly powerful and others can be very simple. I can only speak for the Holley since it's what I do.
A Terminator X Holley (low cost system) can be had for about 1000 and includes the harness. Here is the issue, unless the 2.2 uses a common crank pattern like 4X on Crankshaft then you won't be able to trigger the ECU. As simple as your deal is I would work with the stock ECU. It is speed density and has a VE table. It's so very basic, just tune the VE table (fuel) and timing.

Robin

Billy Nees 10-27-2020 12:04 PM

Thanks Robin for your input. HP Tuners is the way that I have been leaning since I started this project. When you're dealing with an nonredeemable vehicle, cheap is good.

Signman 10-28-2020 08:58 AM

This looks like great fun!
Love it!

There are plenty of cheap laptops out there. Check out Microcenter for refurbs. They usually have a few with small HD for 200-300 sometimes cheaper.

I have a good WIN XP laptop but think the HP Tuner Software wants a newer operating system. It's important to check what type of cable is included with HPT. If it's serial you either need an old laptop or a gender changer of the right type. If it's USB you should be good to go.

Marty Knox 10-28-2020 12:30 PM

It looks like with HP tuners the Transmission Control Module program has to be bought as well. I am sure you will want to adjust the shift points.