CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   GM 8.5 ten bolt crush sleeve (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=57062)

MikeMoller 03-03-2015 08:53 AM

GM 8.5 ten bolt crush sleeve

Curious what crush sleeve styles everyone uses/likes for a GM 8.5 10 bolt.
1. Stock type - tough to crush(who makes the best)
2. Ratech Smart Sleeve- seems a better design easier to crush: http://www.ratechmfg.com/smart%20sleeve.htm
3. Solid sleeve/spacer with shims(who makes the best)
4. Other?

Thanks

SSDiv6 03-03-2015 11:33 AM

Re: GM 8.5 ten bolt crush sleeve

Go with solid.
Ratech and Yukon gear sells the kit.
They also have them in Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-8-5-Solid...315060&vxp=mtr

HandOverFist 03-03-2015 01:21 PM

Swapped to the Ratech smart sleeve last year in our 12-bolt...still going strong.

Patric Fox 03-03-2015 01:31 PM

I would personally go with a solid spacer. After trying to crush a 8 3/4" sleeve, and torqued to 450 ft. lbs. , it pulled the threads out of the pinion nut, and still did not have enough preload.

HandOverFist 03-03-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patric Fox (Post 463679)
I would personally go with a solid spacer. After trying to crush a 8 3/4" sleeve, and torqued to 450 ft. lbs. , it pulled the threads out of the pinion nut, and still did not have enough preload.

Give the smart sleeve a go...around 150 ft lb and you are done. ;)

SSDiv6 03-03-2015 05:37 PM

The issue I see with the smart sleeve is that it still crushes and will do so with less torque applied.
In a drag race application, with the shock and loads applied to the pinion during launch, especially with a heavy car, the solid spacer is the only way to go.

Rory McNeil 03-03-2015 07:34 PM

I was always under the impression that under load, the pinion is trying to push itself foreward, away from the ring gear. If this is true, the main load is directed to the much larger rear pinion bearing, which is pressed onto the pinion gear against a solid step or stop, which prevents the bearing from moving. If so, I really don`t see how the crush sleeve is under any extra load during launch, as the force is trying to push the pinion gear foreward, not to the rear, which would be putting force on the crush sleeve. I have seen several 9" Fords that had pushed the pinion support right out the front of the case, or broken the pinion support. I have never seen one that the pinion was pushed back inside the case. I have even heard of guys using NO crush sleeve or solid spacer between the pinion bearings. They said that as long as you had enough bearing preload on the pinion bearings, and the pinion nut was loctited or staked, the spacer was redundant. I`ve never tried it myself, but it does kinda make you wonder.

Dragsinger 03-03-2015 08:22 PM

Rory,

what you say is correct. I have in fact raced without a crush sleeve setup just as you describe.

However, I find comfort in installing the solid sleeve so the pinion nut can be "tight" Defining "solid" as a solid spacer with shims to arrive at the per-load you want.

You will find many opinions, I build up with VERY light pre-load. Without pinion seal I can "spin" the assembled pinion.

With my setup the pinion seal has about the same drag as my pre-load.

Alan Nyhus 03-03-2015 10:23 PM

I've never used a crush sleeve on any of the GM rears. A bit of red Loctite where the front pinion bearing locates on the pinion and a dab for the pinion nut is all I've ever used.

SSDiv6 03-04-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rory McNeil (Post 463719)
I was always under the impression that under load, the pinion is trying to push itself foreward, away from the ring gear. If this is true, the main load is directed to the much larger rear pinion bearing, which is pressed onto the pinion gear against a solid step or stop, which prevents the bearing from moving. If so, I really don`t see how the crush sleeve is under any extra load during launch, as the force is trying to push the pinion gear foreward, not to the rear, which would be putting force on the crush sleeve. I have seen several 9" Fords that had pushed the pinion support right out the front of the case, or broken the pinion support. I have never seen one that the pinion was pushed back inside the case. I have even heard of guys using NO crush sleeve or solid spacer between the pinion bearings. They said that as long as you had enough bearing preload on the pinion bearings, and the pinion nut was loctited or staked, the spacer was redundant. I`ve never tried it myself, but it does kinda make you wonder.

Rory,
You are correct on the physics on what takes places during acceleration.
However, the bearing cone will deform under load due to plasticity and move.

Got to remember the crush sleeve was designed for OEM applications and not for constant high RPM and/or high torque acceleration and deceleration with steep gears.
Also, the weight of the car and pinion angle have an effect too.

Also, most of the crush sleeves you buy, most of them are made overseas and you may question the materials used for their manufacturing.

One heavy stock eliminator that I am familiar with, it enhanced its gear life from once a year to five years just by switching to a solid spacer on a 8.5 GM rear end.

Like shared in an earlier post, I have seen crush sleeves collapse easily and seen others so strong that either cracks the sleeve or damages the pinion threads.