CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   200 metric issue (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=77723)

jamie2370 10-30-2020 06:19 PM

200 metric issue

Ok, I figured since I am a master GM tech i would try my hand at checking why my metric lost 2nd gear. It had a high gear flare as well which could have been the eshift. Going manual valve body because the other wasn't legal but it was in it when i got it. Now, definitely steel metal in pan verified by a magnet. 3rd(direct) clutches are burnt but everything else looks ok. Also only 4 frictions in forward clutch, 2 in reverse. Band looked ok and billet pin isnt broken

Alan Nyhus 10-30-2020 06:20 PM

Re: 200 metric issue

How's the sprag?

jamie2370 10-30-2020 06:36 PM

Alan, its fine. Spins one way, doesn't the other. I think converter may be trash too. Not really finding anything steel in trans damaged. Drum(not aluminum)has been banged pretty good(the 4 tangs) by a previous sunshell but the current shell looks new.

Mark Yacavone 10-30-2020 09:47 PM

Jamie, What kind of servo? How much band clearance?
I would say, if the direct drum and the band is not burned, and everything else is intact, then the band is not applying.So now you've got to check the circuitry and fluid to the servo. I see the 3rd gear deal as a separate issue. We'll deal with that later.
Who built this unit? You're putting a TA valve body back in it?

*** Is the band anchor pin intact? Not sheared off?

jamie2370 10-31-2020 05:40 PM

I did not measure anything before I unstacked it. Assumed with steel in the pan it was gonna be bad. Anchor pin is good. Going with a Sepanek manual valve body. Its going to my trans guy now. Next question. Should you have to put 3 washers(stacked together) between the converter and flexplate? Thats how it was when I got it. I'm guessing mabye 1/8" worth of shim. I feel it is really close to being bottomed out in pump.

Lew Silverman 10-31-2020 06:01 PM

Jamie,

1/8 inch sounds like the thickness of a motor plate. Did you try removing the washers and checking for converter hub engagement?

Glenn Briglio 11-01-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie2370 (Post 627017)
I did not measure anything before I unstacked it. Assumed with steel in the pan it was gonna be bad. Anchor pin is good. Going with a Sepanek manual valve body. Its going to my trans guy now. Next question. Should you have to put 3 washers(stacked together) between the converter and flexplate? Thats how it was when I got it. I'm guessing mabye 1/8" worth of shim. I feel it is really close to being bottomed out in pump.

What's the distance between convertor and flexplate with shims and convertor bolts not tightened ?

MikeMoller 11-05-2020 10:37 AM

with the converter unbolted and pushed into the trans until it is bottomed out, you need 1/8 inch (.125) space between converter mounts and flexplate. In other words, converter mounted up needs 1/8 (.125) from being bottomed out in the trans.

Glenn Briglio 11-05-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMoller (Post 627322)
with the converter unbolted and pushed into the trans until it is bottomed out, you need 1/8 inch (.125) space between converter mounts and flexplate. In other words, converter mounted up needs 1/8 (.125) from being bottomed out in the trans.

Low volume pumps sometimes require less than .125

Greg Barsamian 11-05-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie2370 (Post 627017)

Call the other "Fast Jack" Sepanek....... He will instruct you as to how much to shim the converter ;)