CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   straping down a mopar? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=64955)

Keith 944 01-16-2017 06:35 PM

straping down a mopar?

As for towing, is it better to strap from the k member or the frame? ie. shock bounce, safer, etc.???? I use 2 straps in front and 2 in rear crossed.

340Cuda 01-17-2017 10:51 AM

Re: straping down a mopar?

With my 69 Barracuda in an enclosed trailer I have always strapped it down off the k-frame in front and off the rear axle in the back. Straight straps in front, crossed straps the in back.

However I have often wondered if it would be better to pull it down off the subframes in back. However I think I would have to weld some brackets on to do that.

Bill

Philip Saran 02-07-2017 01:00 AM

Back when I had my 74 Duster I had brackets welded on the front of the K-frame
and on the spring plates.

I X-crossed the tie downs both front and rear.

For a few years I towed new dealer trade cars and also cross-x them too, but I
used short straps that went through the wheels and then attached to the longer
straps.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Teuton 02-14-2017 10:28 PM

We had a pair of equal length non adjustable straps and only use the adjustable on the other end. Did this maybe 10 years ago. Thought I died and went to heaven. We weld tie downs on the k member and on the pumpkin, or anywhere down there as long as they are equal distance. On long trips, we used to tie the rear straight down also. The non adjustable straps seem to keep the adjustable straps tight. Also if you have a stacker and tie the top from underneath, get some gang hooks (for wreckers, car transports etc) hook the frame midway around the transmission in factory tie town holes, and pull from the front crossmember of the lift with axle loops on the thing if you need them. We have found this on the front, equal non adjustable on the rear and it don't move.

STK1217 03-08-2017 08:36 PM

Keith
I have some of the Chrysler hooks from my carhaul days, get in touch with me and I will show what holes to put them in and how to use them.
Mario

jmcarter 03-08-2017 09:51 PM

At Orlando I talked to Merrill Schrimsher about the air bladder (as advertised for use with dragsters) he has on the bed of his hauler. Sounds like a great deal to fit under the K member and keep the front straps snug and help the front shocks not take a beating on really bad bumps.

Lew Silverman 03-08-2017 10:15 PM

Try www.truckntow.com, Keith.

They have an amazing assortment of frame-hooks and tie-down straps. My 'wagon is a little different, so I grab onto the lower a-arm up front and the lower control arm, criss-crossed, out back. Of course I've got an open trailer, so the little movement I get isn't a problem.

Hope to see you on the road somewhere this season, my Friend!