CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Leaf springs (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=62254)

Coleydog 05-21-2016 07:53 PM

Leaf springs

Question for Cal-trac use. Can I use the offset hangers and shackles (perch moved in also) in a Cuda stocker?

Dwight Southerland 05-22-2016 08:47 AM

Re: Leaf springs

I believe that's a no. From the rulebook, Section 10A:3 "Shock absorbers,springs, or any other stock suspension component may not be moved or altered for any traction-bar installation except those traction bars that are equipped with a new spring perch."

Coleydog 05-22-2016 05:23 PM

Definition of perch, is that the part that attaches with u-bolts to rear? Just making sure we have the same terminology here. That part is furnished with the kit and the shock does attach to it like the original. Only part offset is the front hanger, using the same stock holes in frame. Probably won't need them anyway just using what I have.

George Mirza 05-22-2016 08:43 PM

The perch is the part welded to the bottom on the rear end housing that sits on top of the spring. This has to be in the stock location or width. The shock plate is what bolts under the spring. The cal trac bar and shock attach to this.

Rod Greene 05-27-2016 10:50 PM

You can't use offset hangers. Plenty of room for the tires on an E body.

Coleydog 05-29-2016 08:31 AM

69-a-body, not e-body. But I can get them in there with a little " factory" tolerance and not use the offset hangers. Cal-Trac said they don't sell the hangers anymore, just bars and springs. From looking at the early Cameros and Mustangs they must have a lot of "massaging" to get those tires up under them.

Larry Hill 05-30-2016 12:25 PM

If you have to weld on spring perches make sure to recheck housing for camber and toe change.

Coleydog 05-30-2016 12:41 PM

Yes, thanks, I'll weld them first before doing the ends since I made my own alignment jig. I'm going to buy the S60 center with just tubes instead of using the old one I have. I like having adjusters on the carrier bearings.

GTX JOHN 06-03-2016 06:28 AM

John makes a special narrow leaf spring
for exactly that application and that is what
most guys are using on 67 - 69 Darts out here.

Michael K 06-03-2016 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTX JOHN (Post 505292)
John makes a special narrow leaf spring
for exactly that application and that is what
most guys are using on 67 - 69 Darts out here.

John - do you know what the width of that leaf is?