CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Class Racer Nationals ? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=77022)

Ken Miele 08-13-2020 03:39 PM

Class Racer Nationals ?

Hey guys,

I'm throwing this out here to get some feedback and how many of you would be interested. What I'm looking to do is put together a Class Racer National for Stock and Super Stock at Numidia. I would like to get enough participation to run both Stock and Super Stock. It would be a two day race, one on Saturday and one Sunday, with Friday being a test and tune.

This preliminary and nothing has been set, but I did talk to the DiMino family from Numidia and they would be interested in hosting it. The weekend I am looking at would be September 12th and 13th. Its the same weekend as the National at Maple Grove. The reason I chose that weekend was simple. From everything I am hearing, the race is not going to happen. I figured since many racers have plans to race that weekend and took time off from other things, it would be a no brainier to hold a race that weekend.

So here are some questions I have for you all...
1: Should we have heads up racing during eliminations, there will be a qualified field and ladder.
2: Should it be a all run field with no ladder
3: If there are enough cars would you like separate classes( Stock and Super Stock)
4: No fuel check, just check weight for qualifying and if there is a heads up run.

I talked to Dave Ley, and he is on board with this race. I wanted to have a NHRA tech official on hand for qualifying and heads up match ups if we go that route.

Any other ideas are more than welcome.

Two races, one on Saturday and one on Sunday, with a guaranteed $5000 to win each race. Entry fee $150 for each race.

I have talk to Anthony Bongiovanni, Micro Strategies and Sal Biondo, Biondo Racing Products, they are on board as race sponsors and I am work on more companies. I will have more details with sponsors as the days go on if the feedback is good.

Let me know what you all think and if you would be attending this race. If you don't want to post, just hit the like button. I need to know if there is enough interest to get this rolling.

Jeff Jewell 08-13-2020 03:50 PM

Re: Class Racer Nationals ?

I'm in and I am sure Dad would be too!

I would probably withdraw from the MG national and go to this instead...

To answer your questions.. I'm OK with heads up, yes to all run (ladder or no ladder is fine by me), yes to weighing cars. I suspect you won't have the manpower or equipment for fuel check, but that's OK with me if you have it. If you have enough cars for separate classes, great. If not, a combo with keeping Stock and SS separate at the beginning would work.

Jeff Stout 08-13-2020 03:51 PM

I would love to if it was in the middle of the country. I made Class Nats in Byron from AZ, but PA is to far.

butch8908 08-13-2020 04:04 PM

Are you going to allow spectators or photographers that aren't certified by NHRA?

sterling simmons jr 08-13-2020 04:13 PM

Yes I m in with two cars stock and super stock great Ken

Ken Miele 08-13-2020 04:13 PM

Anyone can take photos. Its not a spectators race, but I'm sure there will be a few which is fine.

Todd Hoven 08-13-2020 04:22 PM

Great Idea! We will be there

Hacksaw 08-13-2020 04:45 PM

Unless the border opens up I can't make it. Think you should run it like a Nat. Open, all run first round with Stockers kept separate from Super Stockers, then all put on ladder from first round winning et. If you go with heads-up runs, then you need to check fuel, so no heads-up, no fuel check, just check weight. If you split the classes you also split up the purse. This way you can keep 5k to the winner and be able to pay back farther.

Joe Martens 08-13-2020 04:45 PM

I'm in!

monte8616 08-13-2020 04:47 PM

Absolutely!! Dave Ley runs his races extremely well - I’d have no problem having it run the way his do - no ladder first round but also no heads up first round - no problem mixing stock and super stock either, with or without enough cars! Great idea! Joey Cole - 1113 - GT/DA and Jeff Lawrence - 1515 - GT/EA

John DiBartolomeo 08-13-2020 05:00 PM

I think the one thing to bring up is this would be an alternative to Reading, should Reading not take place. If Reading does take place, my understanding is this race would be off. I'm in no matter how it's run, but maybe following Dave Ley's format would be the best as I believe he's been successful and a number of people respect his decisions. Why try and reinvent the wheel.

Dave Turner 08-13-2020 05:03 PM

I sincerely hope that you can pull this off because I would support a 2021 race! No way short of a miracle that the Canada/US border opens up for non essential travel by the 3rd week of September. I have a seat reserved in the 2020 virtual bleachers. :rolleyes:

1347 08-13-2020 05:20 PM

I would be there. Seperate classes would be good, but not if we didn't have enough cars to make it work.
Heads up races after 1st round would be good if there is no 1st round ladder. Having no fuel check would be fine, but I'm all for scales.
But I would go no matter how the format worked out.

Kyle Kohr 08-13-2020 05:23 PM

I’m in

Mepprecht 08-13-2020 05:40 PM

Sounds like a great idea, we are interested for sure Ken!

1299 08-13-2020 05:45 PM

I’m in no matter what you chose. If it make it easy on you do it Nat open style no heads up 1st round and set latter off 1st round

Ryan Horensky 08-13-2020 05:52 PM

I'm In

coolcanman 08-13-2020 05:55 PM

I'm in

Herbie Null 08-13-2020 07:23 PM

If Maple Grove is cancelled, me and my 2 brothers will be there. 3 super stockers

novassdude 08-13-2020 07:37 PM

Won't be there but just a suggestion run a normal ladder one day and ladder after first round the second day. Just to help mix it up.
Secondly heads up is a must or it is just a bracket race.

Tim Barrett 08-13-2020 09:13 PM

If they cancelled Maplegrove we would definitely be in.

Angelo DiTocco 08-13-2020 10:51 PM

Great idea Ken - count me in
My suggestion - it prob makes more sense to do it the way Dave does the ECSS circuit.... but whatever you decide as far as that goes please -
- have a re-entry / buy back round like all the big $ bracket races have.
I think that option, more than anything, will attract more racers who may be on the fence.

Glenn Briglio 08-14-2020 06:38 AM

In if Mg is cancelled

Larry Hill 08-14-2020 06:40 AM

We will try to make it. If its a class race it needs a ladder and heads up racing first and all rounds. Weighing after Q runs and heads up. No fuel check is OK. Anyone that would cheat on fuel is a weak wh0re!

Brian Oakes 08-14-2020 08:06 AM

Good idea, iam in, do it Dave Ley's format, i agree with Angelo (i know you all HATE the word buy back, do a second chance race,BUT i think you will get enough cars for a 128 field, combo will work for me or spilt, no fuel check is ok, scales yes random if these 2 classes are the only ones at the track that weekend. Novassdude i use the same shoe polish on my SS car and bracket car, it's all bracket racing,, i see Tylor Bohannon is putting on a 5k and 10k race this weekend, onl;y 64 cars and filled it in 20 mins, so this can be done, Oh and 1 more thing,winner and runner up "comes apart" keep the cheaters at home.LOL I think $200 entry for 5k and make it a 10k on Sat. HELLO, but all aside Ken hope ya make it go.

Dan Fahey 08-14-2020 12:16 PM

Interested...IN !

Fun suggestion..
Have Heads Up Challenges..$50 Challenge
Can be any two Class Cars or Same Class Cars.

Can do this during Qualification Runs..

Dan

Brian Oakes 08-14-2020 04:16 PM

Ok if this race happens, Outlaw headers of Mooresville, NC will give a Certificate worth $500.00 towards a new set of Stainless headers, car must be present in get headers installed, for each race,

B&S Motorsports along with Santhuff Suspension will give a certificate for $250.00 off any new pair of shocks for ea. race

PEOPLE we need to support these races, this is a good idea, 150.00 to race for over 10k
you will not make that at a N_ _ _ race. please support this, lets keep class racing alive

Andy Friar 08-14-2020 05:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Oakes (Post 620948)
Ok if this race happens, Outlaw headers of Mooresville, NC will give a Certificate worth $500.00 towards a new set of Stainless headers, car must be present in get headers installed, for each race,

B&S Motorsports along with Santhuff Suspension will give a certificate for $250.00 off any new pair of shocks for ea. race

PEOPLE we need to support these races, this is a good idea, 150.00 to race for over 10k
you will not make that at a N_ _ _ race. please support this, lets keep class racing alive

I wish our Chevelle was SS legal, (stk legal car, bracket 13.5:1 SBC Chevy motor w/ brake) as I would make the haul from Michigan just for the sentiment at the end. Us racers are what makes the races happen. If we don't attend, they don't get held next weekend, month, year. Dad has been talking about putting together a SS/JA legal 350ci/255 hp engine to allow us to do the bracket stuff and the GLSSSA and pts meets and stuff just like this. I don't have to be more than a tenth or two faster than my index to win races. Just play the odds so I can avoid heads up rounds. I hope this race happens, for the benefit of OUR sport!

Bob Bender 08-14-2020 06:06 PM

We are in

BKSG1198 08-14-2020 09:22 PM

Ken,

I honestly wish you all the best of luck on putting this together, I hope the racers come out and support it.

BILL TAYLOR 08-14-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKSG1198 (Post 620970)
Ken,

I honestly wish you all the best of luck on putting this together but, just reading the comments already bring back memories of 2013. I know everyone is itching to go racing but, I can speak about my partnership with Lee & Brian in 2012 when we put .90 and Stk / SS together and when I tried to keep their Combo in Hills race going for 2013 because Brian and Lee were entering PS Racing with Kevin. The chat board will explode with people saying they're coming but, won't show up or some with disagree because your not doing fuel check, heads-up or making it a combo event and not separate and they won't attend.

All I can say to help cover your rear, I'd make it a pre-entry deal and say if they don't pre-enter they don't race, kind of like how Pete & Kyle do with the Spring Flings. I know it's a crappy deal to do to handcuff people but, if you go through with it and the slightest chance of weather rolls in (And we know Numidia is about as Unpredictable as they come with weather) people won't attend. I know it's a big risk for a promoter to shell out the money for rental, purses, etc and I don't want to see you get hurt on it but, take it from experience at Numidia it's a tough sell on only 4 weeks of promoting or less depending on when the "Call" is made for Maple Grove and looking at NHRA record with cancellations so far for Nationals, you looking at the week before Labor Day. I'm just throwing it out there and if you do it, good luck because I'm planning on something similar for the .90 crew that same weekend, track is lined up but, can't say anything till the Nationals are cancelled but, it doesn't look promising if Yellow Bullet just bit the dust in Maryland and that was a little less strict then PA is.

Rob, that's very good advice, and knowing you, I know your heart is in the right place. I was there when the "Combo In The Hills" crapped out. But this is a very different situation now. Back then there were alot of other options to race, so missing "The Combo" was not your only chance to race. Not so now! I would expect a decent or better turn out. Just my 2cents.P.S. I'll be there if Joe promises to stay in A/S. LOL

Ken Miele 08-14-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKSG1198 (Post 620970)
Ken,

I honestly wish you all the best of luck on putting this together but, just reading the comments already bring back memories of 2013. I know everyone is itching to go racing but, I can speak about my partnership with Lee & Brian in 2012 when we put .90 and Stk / SS together and when I tried to keep their Combo in Hills race going for 2013 because Brian and Lee were entering PS Racing with Kevin. The chat board will explode with people saying they're coming but, won't show up or some with disagree because your not doing fuel check, heads-up or making it a combo event and not separate and they won't attend.

All I can say to help cover your rear, I'd make it a pre-entry deal and say if they don't pre-enter they don't race, kind of like how Pete & Kyle do with the Spring Flings. I know it's a crappy deal to do to handcuff people but, if you go through with it and the slightest chance of weather rolls in (And we know Numidia is about as Unpredictable as they come with weather) people won't attend. I know it's a big risk for a promoter to shell out the money for rental, purses, etc and I don't want to see you get hurt on it but, take it from experience at Numidia it's a tough sell on only 4 weeks of promoting or less depending on when the "Call" is made for Maple Grove and looking at NHRA record with cancellations so far for Nationals, you looking at the week before Labor Day. I'm just throwing it out there and if you do it, good luck because I'm planning on something similar for the .90 crew that same weekend, track is lined up but, can't say anything till the Nationals are cancelled but, it doesn't look promising if Yellow Bullet just bit the dust in Maryland and that was a little less strict then PA is.

Rob,

With all do respect, I was looking for feedback from racers that would like to see this happen, not from other promoters. Unlike most promoters, I'm not in this for money, and if is cost me, than so be it. You should have emailed me about the downsides, which by the way I already know, not post it and possible discourage some racers. I'm very close to Peter and Kyle and I know what I'm in for.

If I can get 60 cars in each class it will be a win win for this race. Many racers have two cars and I'm even thinking of cars that can run both Stock and Super Stock could double up. There are lots of things I can to make this race attractive. Giveaways, best packages, quick 8 race included in the $150 entry fee.

Thanks for your input, but it was misplaced here.

Guys, on a more positive note. I will have a more info coming on Tuesday, and thanks so much everyone for your support and suggestions.

BKSG1198 08-14-2020 10:16 PM

You all need to support these type of events...don't complain about how your mad about certain races when you have a good one being put together

Ken Miele 08-14-2020 10:25 PM

Chill bud, your taking this to personal. I ask for racers opinions not promoters. And if you re read my post you can see I know what the pit falls are, I have been doing this racing thing for over 40 years.

You have now taken I positive thread and gone negative. If you have nothing positive to say, please do not post. If you want to continue this, please email or pm me, this is not the place for it.

BKSG1198 08-14-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL TAYLOR (Post 620973)
Rob, that's very good advice, and knowing you, I know your heart is in the right place. I was there when the "Combo In The Hills" crapped out. But this is a very different situation now. Back then there were alot of other options to race, so missing "The Combo" was not your only chance to race. Not so now! I would expect a decent or better turn out. Just my 2cents.P.S. I'll be there if Joe promises to stay in A/S. LOL

Bill,
I really hope it takes off and the event it huge for you guys. I know it's been a frustrating year to have delay after delay, cancelation and cancelation. We should all be sitting in the field at Cecil right now having a cold beverage but, we all know that story. Good Luck Bill and the rest of everyone who makes it to this event, I hope it's maybe the beginning of a tradition at Numidia!

BILL TAYLOR 08-14-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKSG1198 (Post 620983)
Woah, first off Ken I wasn't trying to discourage you or anyone from having this event and I'm a little ticked off that you came at me that way you did. In my book as an admin of a site that was uncalled for because you would have banned people in the .90 section for coming back at someone like that. I've done nothing but, help you try to get portions of this site more views but, now I know my place. I'm just telling you from past experiences what I've run into....it's called looking out for a fellow racer to hope they don't go down the same path that you did. I love Numidia, the Dimino Family and the track and for over 15 years of running my series up on the mountain it has been a struggle to get .90, Stk or SS cars to attend races unless it's NHRA Divisional type events. I gave you a word of advise to help you not get burned, trust me ask ANY of my racers if I'm in it for the money and the answer would be NO, I do it because ZI love Drag Racing of all types, so take it how you want to take it obviously I know my place now....

Good Luck in your event, I hope it's huge and you prove all of us wrong....Peace!!

Rob, you know I love you and Sr. like brothers, but I think your opinion would have been better served by a phone call or email. Sorry!

Billy Harper 08-14-2020 10:43 PM

Like the race👍 I am in but I think you need heads up and no buy backs to keep it a class race other wise it’s just a bracket race Just my 2 cents

BKSG1198 08-14-2020 10:43 PM

Problem Solved....

:)

Joe DeMarzo 08-15-2020 12:10 PM

Ken, great idea and I am interested in racing both days. Any format is good, look forward to any updates.

Pistol Pete 08-15-2020 04:07 PM

Ken
Any “long distance crew members” awards ??
Lol