CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   playing the ladder (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=62021)

henrys57wagon 04-27-2016 10:58 AM

playing the ladder

I have seen a few comments on playing the ladder and would like to get more knowledge about it. Once you have made your 1st time trial is that not the base for your ladder position, which you can only change with a quicker ET on the next run(s). Please help me understand how you play with the ladder.

Bryan Worner 04-27-2016 12:11 PM

Re: playing the ladder

Its pretty easy actually. You set your car up to run slower than its capable of for that time run, or, you hit the brakes or lift at some point prior to the finish line.

GTOMayhem 04-27-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Worner (Post 501908)
Its pretty easy actually. You set your car up to run slower than its capable of for that time run, or, you hit the brakes or lift at some point prior to the finish line.

Right Bryan, I think the "how" is easy enough to decipher from the posts on here. I, for one and maybe henrys57wagon, would like a little more insight to the logic. Are you trying to run against a slower car? Do you look at the entries and know someone who is not seasoned and aim for a pairing with them? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Thanks
Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

MR DERBY CITY 04-27-2016 01:17 PM

Usually, you are trying to avoid a Heads Up run......there are other reasons though....

Mike Pearson 04-27-2016 01:34 PM

Either trying to get or avoid a heads up run depending on if you are the faster or slower car in the class. Trying to position yourself for a bye run at some point in the competition. Trying to position your self to knock out another competitor in the points battle. There are other reasons some try to play the ladder. Its not real easy to do as there are usually a number of racers doing the same thing and it is difficult to land in the spot that you want. Personally I am not that good to be able to do that so I just run all out every run.

Dave Muller 04-27-2016 01:36 PM

What I don't understand is how you can have very much control over where you end up on the ladder given that others are also changing their qualifying positions in what seems to be to be unpredictable ways. I can see how I could choose to move up or not move up on the ladder, but unless I'm currently facing a heads up run against a faster car I'm not sure why I'd want to.

I guess this might clear up part of it: Do most racers stand pat with what they run in the first session most of the time, or is there normally a lot of reshuffling. If there's usually lots of changes in the ladder after Q1 it seems like the effect of me going faster would be extremely hard to predict.

Paul Precht 04-27-2016 01:44 PM

It seems like Russian Roulette to me with multiple people doing it.

Ed Carpenter 04-27-2016 01:58 PM

Stephen Bell has the ladder figured out here in D4. He just qualifies No 1 all the time and a gets a bye first rd...........lol

Ed Wright 04-27-2016 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuces wild (Post 501917)
Stephen Bell has the ladder figured out here in D4. He just qualifies No 1 all the time and a gets a bye first rd...........lol

I used to do that some, but I quit worrying about that, as I can't run as far under as Stephen. LOL

HR9121 04-27-2016 03:52 PM

It's not always about trying to line up a heads up run. Sometimes you might be trying to get yourself on one side or the other for instance a line yourself up with a late round bye run or simply trying to stay away from a buddy or teammates. It can be difficult at times but the majority of racers are flat out on that first round so then you just need to figure out where a select few are trying to get and line yourself up appropriately. It can backfire.....