CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Most expensive, least helpful and useless advice (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=55298)

Rusty Davenport 10-15-2014 10:32 AM

Most expensive, least helpful and useless advice

During the insanity at my age of building a stocker from scratch, I cant help but ask has anyone ever written a list or article on the most useless changes or improvements not to waist your time and money on ( sometimes known as overkill ) ??? ( surely not all of you guys are too proud are you ??? ) Would anyone care to share their experience ???

FireSale 10-15-2014 10:58 AM

Re: Most expensive, least helpful and useless advice

Yes, an overkill fuel system. I had my eye on a $135 Holley Blue pump and regulator for my 302 ford with a Holley 4150 and posted a question to this forum. I let the guys talk me into a MagnaFuel 275 at $450 with a built in filter. It pumps out so much gas that the regulator is turned way down to keep from flooding the engine. I had the floats set wrong and gas flooded out of the carb like a fountain and started a pretty good fire. All is well but I toasted some wire.

Good investments for your stocker:

Painless Extreme Duty wire under the hood
Fire extinguisher next to the seat

Dale

SSDiv6 10-15-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireSale (Post 449815)
Yes, an overkill fuel system. I had my eye on a $135 Holley Blue pump and regulator for my 302 ford with a Holley 4150 and posted a question to this forum. I let the guys talk me into a MagnaFuel 275 at $450 with a built in filter. It pumps out so much gas that the regulator is turned way down to keep from flooding the engine. I had the floats set wrong and gas flooded out of the carb like a fountain and started a pretty good fire. All is well but I toasted some wire.

Good investments for your stocker:

Painless Extreme Duty wire under the hood
Fire extinguisher next to the seat

Dale

Dale, investing on the Magnafuel pump was not a bad investment.
The Holley fuel pumps have been having lots of issues, especially leakage due to warped housings ever since they started manufacturing them in China.

Don't blame the fuel pump when you admitted to have set the floats incorrectly.

Billy Nees 10-15-2014 11:14 AM

Hah! Where would you like me to start? I should do a "Mythbusters" thread on that subject, but I won't. It would do me no good and could anger and/or hurt a bunch of people.
I WILL say, in general, fuel systems and ignition systems with an honorable mention going to piston rings.

Tom Moock 10-15-2014 11:14 AM

Dale, tech made me take my fire extinguisher out from inside my stocker, said it was not legal ballast. Tom

Rusty Davenport 10-15-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 449817)
Hah! Where would you like me to start? I should do a "Mythbusters" thread on that subject, but I won't. It would do me no good and could anger and/or hurt a bunch of people.
I WILL say, in general, fuel systems and ignition systems with an honorable mention going to piston rings.

come on Billy, be a man !!!!!!!! Just leave the names out ???

Dwight Southerland 10-15-2014 11:31 AM

There should be a rich deposit of that ore. Remember that we live in a consumer world.

Ed Wright 10-15-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Moock (Post 449818)
Dale, tech made me take my fire extinguisher out from inside my stocker, said it was not legal ballast. Tom

IHRA requires a fire inside the car. NHRA does not allow it. I was told, when they made me take mine back out, it was a safety issue. That (correctly) if it was easy to get out of it's mount to use, it could also come out & bounce around inside the car during a wreck and injure you.

Lee Valentine 10-15-2014 12:18 PM

Allstar Racing Products sells an NHRA legal quick release fire extinguisher mount.

cutta 10-15-2014 02:34 PM

I hope this thread takes off. For those us looking to get in it someday, this will help us spend our money wisely right off the bat.