CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Dumbo The Flying Elephant (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72394)

340Cuda 06-22-2019 11:29 AM

Re: Dumbo The Flying Elephant

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmrphil (Post 591071)
Wow, I get the AARP magazine, but I've never seen ring compressors there. :D

Given the average age of class racers these days a race parts catalog may be something AARP needs to look in to!

Thanks for the updates Larry I have enjoyed following your build.

Larry Hill 06-22-2019 11:46 AM

Was putting the pistons in to get my short block finished and wouldn't you know it, a storm with gale force winds knocks out the power. So after my neighbor and I clear a small tree out of the road, it's off to get diesel and water in the motor home. 90 min. later it's ready for Patsy and our two granddaughters. Just like the races but only in our driveway.

The best plans of men and mice...

Rod Greene 06-22-2019 03:15 PM

I have had 2 of those storms here one Thursday morning lasted 1 1/2 hours and then another one last night. I've got 8 trees down blocking driveway and paths around my property. The thunder and lightning was spectacular. I only had a 10 minute power outage. I love the South.

Dwight Southerland 06-22-2019 10:04 PM

Our storm Thursday night only lasted 40 minutes and we still have people in the Little Rock area without power.

Larry Hill 06-23-2019 09:44 AM

By using the motor home this weekend we discovered the outside cooler died. Not cool

Hope to have short block done today.

Larry Hill 06-25-2019 07:44 PM

Short block is assembled. Patsy will post pictures later. The deck has a slight slope to it. We will try to fix it when block needs to be resurfaced. Having the block like this is is costing me a little bit of compression, but being a Hemi newbe I will take it. I tighten the rod bolts to a stretch of .005 - .0054. I hope the picture of the NHRA pistons is clear.

Larry Hill 06-25-2019 08:46 PM

Camshaft and lifter bushing. Up close and personal

Larry Hill 06-25-2019 08:49 PM

In the morning that head will be done!! That is assuming that we have proper piston to valve clearance at split overlap.

kansas stocker 06-25-2019 10:33 PM

Great pictures.
Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Pete

Greg West 06-26-2019 01:36 PM

McMaster-Carr may have .007" shims. I have gotten .004" - 006" shims with various diameters from them in the past.