CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Thoughts on lightened ring gears? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=75119)

bykr 01-07-2020 03:05 PM

Thoughts on lightened ring gears?

I'm considering purchasing a lightened 9" gear set, my concern is it's for a super stock stick car and I'm wondering about deflection being an issue. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Ed Wright 01-07-2020 03:44 PM

Re: Thoughts on lightened ring gears?

All I ever saw from my lightened gear sets was shorter life. No performance gains. I even wasted money on track rental, swapped gear sets at the track. Ran both gear sets back-to-back within an hour. Same ET & MPH. Told myself “Oh well,?It can’t hurt”. Wrong.

Ed Wright 01-07-2020 03:46 PM

Also, saw no up or down side to my light spool. Many “Has to be worth something” pieces on my car.
And, I’m very old and from Oklahoma, so........

Jim Caughlin 01-07-2020 04:01 PM

I very much doubt you will see any measurable difference in performance, same with gun drilled axles, alum spools and lightweight driveshafts. I did a same day back to back alum vs steel driveshaft test (13# vs 10#) and saw zero performance difference. That being said, unless you are on a budget, I would do everything within reason to reduce rotating weight regardless. For what it's worth, I just ordered a new 3rd member and paid the extra for the lite weight parts so am taking my own advice.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019

Strawboss 01-07-2020 04:44 PM

We have run back to back a lightened ring gear and a regular ring gear and found no gain what so ever and this is with SS stick car. Save your money just get a regular gear set.

Lee Valentine 01-07-2020 05:40 PM

Never saw gains on rotational parts close to the centerline if I have posted this right. You start to see benefits when you get into tires and wheels etc. That being said anything lighter that doesn't hurt durability can't be bad,depends on your budget.

bykr 01-07-2020 08:33 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll pass on the lightening process.

Dave Noll 01-07-2020 10:57 PM

Thought on something Billy has talked about. If someone were to change to All of the lite stuff in the rear, doing the A-B style test. Any difference in ET?

ron mattson 01-08-2020 09:34 AM

Changing from a 10 bolt 8.5 diff to a 12 bolt
Both with light components and set up the same
way there is a difference slowed .04-.05

Jeff Stout 01-08-2020 12:56 PM

Aluminum driveshaft, rifle drilled axles, light ring gear 14 lbs lighter and zero gain in ET on a 3500 lb BBC