CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Just observing here..... (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=75399)

Billy Nees 02-08-2020 08:48 AM

Just observing here.....

Looking at the not-so-full fields in TF, FC, TAD and TAFC, ya know, if NHRA cuts the Sportsman fields down to about 30 cars, they would have room for Pro Stock Ditch Witch and Top Fuel Vacuum Cleaner!

jmcarter 02-08-2020 09:55 AM

Re: Just observing here.....

Quite possible, watched a little of the Nostalgia Pro Stock and it was underwhelming. Could care less about all the other filler experiments they keep tinkering with. Comp, Super Stock and Stock could do well if they simply promoted it better but face it; most fans don’t understand handicap or throttle stop racing. It’s all about fast and furious and they maximize that by all the sensationalism promoted endlessly. One thing striking about TF, supposedly the “premier” class, is that Torrence can choose to sit out and when some of his associated teams do as well it proves that owners can indeed influence how NHRA fares. Think our quotas will continue to decline and they will indeed try to scare up all matter of novelty stuff. Reminds of a popular bumper sticker “when you elect (or in our case get) clowns you have to expect a circus” (applies to both parties and NHRA).

Billy Nees 02-08-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcarter (Post 607870)
Comp, Super Stock and Stock could do well if they simply promoted it better

I will never forget standing at the head of the staging lanes at the Grove while the 1ST round of Stockers was being paired up and thinking, "this has to be the best car show that anybody could pay to see"!

bykr 02-08-2020 01:37 PM

Yeah, last year at the World Finals we had seats near the starting line and about two thirds of the stands would empty after the last funny car ran and the Pro Stock cars came out!

Ed Wright 02-08-2020 02:36 PM

When I started going to watch national events, after I had quit racing several years ago.
I was surprised that the stands empty when the fuel cars are not running.
I learned to stand by the steps to the stands by the starting line, as the fuel cars finished. I could sit anywhere to watch my friend’s Pro Stock car run. Then they emptied further before Sportsman cars ran. Nobody watches us. Only people there are watching friends.

Mark Yacavone 02-08-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bykr (Post 607882)
Yeah, last year at the World Finals we had seats near the starting line and about two thirds of the stands would empty after the last funny car ran and the Pro Stock cars came out!

I noticed this a few years ago in LV, as well.
I can't imagine anyone not wanting to watch all the Pro classes, at least.
A lot of these folks are just casual fans, who come out once a year for the circus and the carnage.
PT Barnum couldn't get these people to watch us. They're not real car people, as we know them.

Mike Jones 02-08-2020 06:11 PM

Irony is, Pro Stock cars aren't real cars, as we know them.
MJ

Mark Yacavone 02-08-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jones (Post 607887)
Irony is, Pro Stock cars aren't real cars, as we know them.
MJ

I know, but you don't think they would stay and watch Factory Stock, do you?
There's only a certain amount of time for those folks to get their autographed hero cards, buy their T-shirts, a couple of brewski's , and then stand around for the warm ups, ruin their eardrums, then get high on the nitro ,and then wander around like zombies, getting in the way of real cars. ;-)

Mike Jones 02-08-2020 08:11 PM

Agreed, they couldn`t care less. Mark, you should see the packed grandstands at the Dover Reunion at Lebanon Valley. What do they come for? The car show in the parking lot? Frantic Ford BB/FC? The Nostalgia? I don't get It....
but its a 3 day event now.

BG56 02-08-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 607886)
I noticed this a few years ago in LV, as well.
I can't imagine anyone not wanting to watch all the Pro classes, at least.
A lot of these folks are just casual fans, who come out once a year for the circus and the carnage.
PT Barnum couldn't get these people to watch us. They're not real car people, as we know them.

And most of those "fans" are only here for a little while. (Ala Nascar after the boom!)