CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   tranny cooler (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=60173)

impstocker 11-09-2015 06:59 PM

tranny cooler

OK, possible dumn question since the last Stocker I built was a stick car, do I need to run a tranny cooler? I know in my buddies Comp car we don't and honestly never look for ones at the track Turbo 350

Will Lamprecht I/SA 65 Impala 396/325 in progress

Mike Pearson 11-09-2015 07:12 PM

Re: tranny cooler

No.

Mark Yacavone 11-09-2015 09:59 PM

Yes.

Ed Wright 11-09-2015 11:10 PM

My Pro Trans cooler line fittings are plugged, evidently bypassed internally. Ditto my Rossler. No cooler provisions on either. Evidently not needed.

Dragsinger 11-09-2015 11:35 PM

Will,

This is personal opinion, I have no testing to back up my opinion. It simply seems reasonable to me that a trans cooler is a good thing.

My thought is I am always look at being in the late rounds, in the final and if the last two or three runs come close together [which is to be expected] a cooler will be a very good thing.

Consider this chain of events, with a cooler anytime the engine is running fluid is passing through it. So, late rounds, things are happening quickly, on the return road, pulling up in the lanes, moving into the water box, fluid is flowing through the cooler.

That has to be some advantage over no cooling ability. I seems to me the fluid temp has potential to be more reasonable than without a cooler.

Mike Pearson 11-10-2015 09:02 AM

Add a deep finned aluminum pan . I do not know of any stock super stock guys running a cooler. The car is not running long enough for it to do much good. The fluid is only being cooled when the engine is running. Like Ed Wright said most race prepped transmissions are plugged and bypassed internally. Also one less spot for a leak.

Dragsinger 11-10-2015 09:11 AM

Mike, you know of one ss racer running a cooler :) me

buzzinhalfdozen 11-10-2015 10:36 AM

Ran my t-350 and proflite with no cooler for a few years, never had a temp gauge on it. This past year decided to race local as my grandson was starting in the junior ranks. So I put a cooler on and a temp gauge, after 1 run trans temp 160, after going a few rounds it would quickly run up to 195-200 would turn fan on that is attached to the cooler by the time I got back to the trailer it would be back to 170 or so. Since I never monitored it before I can't say the cooler helped, but I'd say it can't hurt. I called and asked about a cooler on each trans and was told it wasn't needed. My understanding is the smaller, looser convertors produce more heat, I run a 7 inch 8000 stall, your results may vary.

Pistol Pete 11-10-2015 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark yacavone (Post 487459)
yes.

x2

njk53 11-10-2015 11:49 AM

If you have an in-tank transmission oil cooler (TOC) in your radiator, I would use it because it will help put heat into the transmission faster than without one.

As far as needing a TOC Auxiliary Cooler, I personally think one isn't needed because the transmission will not make enough heat in one pass to require a cooler. But, you also want to be prepared if you have to make multiple passes which will produce enough heat to hurt the trans.
We have used our in-tank radiator TOC for years with no problem.