CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Not for Nuthin' But Close! (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=77389)

Billy Nees 04-11-2021 05:12 PM

Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Weiss (Post 638429)
I was thinking this was as low a $$$$$'s build as possible.

Stan

No, you've got the right thread and I absolutely hate spending ANY money on this BUT, once I realized how small the cams are and how much there is to be gained I decided that I have to give the cam change a try.

Glenn Briglio 04-12-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 638438)
No, you've got the right thread and I absolutely hate spending ANY money on this BUT, once I realized how small the cams are and how much there is to be gained I decided that I have to give the cam change a try.

Once a stock eliminator racer, forever a stock eliminator racer. Go Billy

Tom Meyer 04-12-2021 08:12 PM

What cams do you need I have a couple of different sets. Exhaust 257 dur at 50 its 216, 108 lobe sep. Intake 256, 212 at 50 102. I could even send you butterfly cut cam gears. Delta cams will regrind the stock cams to your specs for 125 each. Tom

Billy Nees 04-13-2021 07:31 AM

I might have to give you a call Tom.

Billy Nees 05-05-2021 06:40 PM

I've got cams coming!!!!! No, they weren't for nuthin'. Not even close.

Bench Racer 05-08-2021 10:10 PM

Billy, not to get off the topic, but is this the same engine that is in the S-10's and Saturn's? I have had 3 2.2 Saturns, an 03 auto, and a 04 5 speed that were pretty peppy. I currently have an 02 wagon that has less horsepower but is still impressive for a 4 banger in a wagon. Don Jackson

Billy Nees 05-09-2021 07:49 AM

The S-10s had the 2.2 OHV engine in them as did the older Cavs and some Saturns. I don't dis-like this engine but the only combo that I can find in the guide with it is the S-10 and it's factored at 124-129 HP which seems to be a bit much when compared to the Ecotec at 140. But the 2.2 OHV must be pretty good because someone has gotten it hit!

Billy Nees 05-14-2021 08:46 AM

So, is anyone up for a little bit of an engine-theory discussion this morning? Or at least maybe some brain farting?
I have new cams and chain and tensioners for the Cavalier and have spent more on this thing since I started it than I spent on the UTI4U1K Pontiac! OUCH! Who said that FWDs make cheap racecars?
I started dis-assembling the car to install the cams and, as I tend to do, went about checking timing marks and lining things up and came to find out that the exhaust cam was retarded one tooth on the gear! The intake cam is where it should be.
Could this be why the car didn't respond to the header? What should I expect from this thing now? I'm not going to put the exhaust cam back where it should be and take it to the track which is what I should do. Any comments, suggestions, phone # of a good therapist?

SSDiv6 05-14-2021 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 640438)
So, is anyone up for a little bit of an engine-theory discussion this morning? Or at least maybe some brain farting?
I have new cams and chain and tensioners for the Cavalier and have spent more on this thing since I started it than I spent on the UTI4U1K Pontiac! OUCH! Who said that FWDs make cheap racecars?
I started dis-assembling the car to install the cams and, as I tend to do, went about checking timing marks and lining things up and came to find out that the exhaust cam was retarded one tooth on the gear! The intake cam is where it should be.
Could this be why the car didn't respond to the header? What should I expect from this thing now? I'm not going to put the exhaust cam back where it should be and take it to the track which is what I should do. Any comments, suggestions, phone # of a good therapist?

Yes, it will affect the performance of the engine. It moves the powerband to a higher RPM range, making the port lazy and it will kill low and midrange.

Marty Knox 05-14-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 640438)

So, if you're not going to do what you should do, what ARE you going to do? Put it back together with the new cam?