CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Not for Nuthin' But Close! (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=77389)

Billy Nees 09-21-2020 08:52 AM

Not for Nuthin' But Close!

Ya know, I spoke to Ken about this and said that I wasn't going to get into another "build" but this latest "junkyard" find just shows too much promise for me not to share it. I would just like to think that I'm not wasting my time and effort. I'm in the "racecar" business not the entertainment business so I will hope that a few of these cars will get built. More later.

Lew Silverman 09-21-2020 11:34 AM

Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

The amazing thing is that there are so many vehicles still "out there" waiting to be discovered. They may never be 100-point restorations, but when has that ever stopped us? The only limiting factors are your wallet and your imagination! Party on!

MikeMoller 09-22-2020 09:52 PM

Can't wait to see some details!

Billy Nees 09-23-2020 09:36 AM

This IS NOT a "Dime Rocket"!

Well, here I go again. I brought home another "junkyard find" that runs fine, looks OK and was priced very right. It failed Pa. inspection for some structural "issues" that aren't going to affect me and the previous owner had to give it up. Combos similar to this one have been brought up in "Class Builds" and have been shown to have some potential.

2005 Chevy Cavalier 4 door, 2.2/134 c.i./140/140 and an auto. It can pretty much only run in D/FS at a wt. of 2830 although it can theoretically run E/FS it would need to have 840 !!! lbs. added to make E wt. Not a very good combo when you compare it's 140 HP factor to Shaw's ElCamino at 140 HP but I doubt that anyone will be finding a decent 4.3 ElCamino for scrap prices any time soon.

I brought it to "The Beav" for it's first time out and ran some not-so-great 16.30s and was having some sensor issues so it came home and almost went back to the junkyard to meet it's fate.

Here is where this starts to get good, I found a bad coolant temp sensor and decided to replace it and a few other things and see what happens. I treated it to an oil change (0-20) and a new fuel filter, didn't bother to look at the spark plugs but I DID put in a clean, used O2 sensor, took off the catalytic converter and the rest of the exhaust and slipped a 2 ft. piece of pipe on the exhaust pipe where I cut off the cat., bolted on a very used, old set of 22x8-15 M/T slicks on 15x7 Beretta wheels and took the P/S pump off, laid it aside and made a quickie block-off plate to fill up the hole (it bolts to the rear of the head and runs off the back of the intake cam). That's it, that's all that is done to this "junkyard" car. The car weighs 2850 (20 lbs. good) with me in it.

Now for the payoff. I took the car to Island Dragway (the only track open on Bracket Finals weekend), got the car hot and made 3 passes doing nothing but clearing the ECU in the lanes before each run. It went 15.83, 15.80, 15.79 at 86 and change. For one last run, I tried cooling the car off before the run and it rewarded me with a 15.705 at 87! Not too bad on a 15.60 index! Not too shabby for a totally "stock", junk car.

Hopefully before the end of the season, I'd like to do something with the final drive ratio, maybe build a header for it and download some kind of a "tuner" package for it but there's no doubt in my mind that this junker will run comfortably under the index.

So there ya have it. Stop drinking those expensive energy drinks, get out of your Mother's basement, get in your Dodge Caravan and find yourself a tow dolly and a 2002-2005 Cavalier and YOU TOO can be an NHRA Stock Eliminator Hero!!!

No more excuses!!!

Mark Yacavone 09-23-2020 12:31 PM

Good show, Billy.
A final drive and converter change will put it comfortably under the index.
Not so much of an expensive deal, but where it gets more labor intensive.
This is the part that will separate the doers from the dreamers. ;-)

nickh 09-23-2020 04:38 PM

Billy I have a 2008 Cobalt "sports sedan" has 171 hp 4 cylinder, this thing is quick for what it is. The next step up from this one is the super sport with the super charger.

That is impressive with what you done with just minor tinkering.

I am trying to figure out what to do with it, sell it, race it?

Billy Nees 09-23-2020 05:17 PM

Well, it's in the guide and at "only" 167 HP!

MikeMoller 09-25-2020 10:16 AM

Once again Billy has shown you don't have to be well healed to compete!

nickh 09-25-2020 06:08 PM

Mike, I keep looking at the Cobalt that would be something different, not sure would have to look at the guide to see what class it would fit into. Header, ignition, wheels tires, new cv joints it would be something I have never done before (front wheel drive). We don't have that many FWD in division 4

Billy Nees 09-29-2020 10:11 AM

I picked up a good set of 22" Hoosier Frontrunners (Rearrunners?) for the car at the Grove this weekend for a case of Yuengling Lager !

Chipper Chapman 09-30-2020 08:26 PM

Billy get yourself an HP Tuners setup, you’ll have infinite tuning abilities from your laptop. Basic kit is not very expensive

stock1080 10-01-2020 09:16 AM

Billy, what rim's would fit the rear? tks

Mark Yacavone 10-01-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stock1080 (Post 624846)
Billy, what rim's would fit the rear? tks

Mini-spare , 5 x 100 mm

AJ Laferty 10-02-2020 05:19 PM

not mine, no affiliation, header brand new, in box $75

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...35604833510276

Dave Noll 10-10-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipper Chapman (Post 624804)
Billy get yourself an HP Tuners setup, you’ll have infinite tuning abilities from your laptop. Basic kit is not very expensive

For the GM guys, these are probably more sorted out. I got one for my other brand of car that im about to throw in the middle of the track. I know its just getting it sorted out ............. but ....... Learning curve, BIG.

Billy Nees 10-25-2020 09:16 AM

Well, I took "Not-for-Nuthin" out for a "ride" yesterday. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss and sometimes it's just a cover for stupidity but I did have a fun day and learned a few things. I'll post an update and (maybe) some pics later.

Billy Nees 10-25-2020 04:10 PM

Back to the "Further Adventures of Not-for-Nuthin" or "You Can Be a Total Slacker and Still Go Stock Eliminator Racing".
For this chapter, I have added a set of 19.5x7" Hoosier slicks, the previously mentioned 22" Hoosier frontrunners/rearrunners and, after draining out the gas tank, some NHRA approved Sunoco 260 GTX fuel (98 octane, unleaded). That's all.
Did I mention anything about ignorance and/or stupidity?
First pass, I got the car good and hot and, still running the car in D3, went a 15.83 at only 82 MPH. The car is shutting off just past the 1000 ft. clock.
OK, I ignorantly/stupidly think, I'm getting into a rev limiter.
Second pass, I leave the line in D3 and after the car gets to 6000 RPM in 3rd gear, I shift into D4. And the car goes a 15.75 but does exactly the same thing at exactly the same spot on the track.Hmmmm.
Third pass, I cool the car down and make the run with the shifter in D4 BUT this time, I'm going to watch the speedometer instead of the tach. It goes a 15.655 at 82.75 MPH with the speedo indicating 105 MPH (remember, the really short slicks).
I am now running into the SPEED limiter in the ECU.
So, I'll finish this chapter by saying that I apparently need to kidnap a kid and download a program before I can go play with this thing again. BUT it did run within .05 of the index (DA 1940 ft.) shutting itself off at 1100ft and I still haven't done anything but remove the P/S pump that involved getting dirty.
I'll try and post a couple of pictures later.

John W. 1711 10-25-2020 05:42 PM

I saw this car in action, Sat. 10-24-2020, at Cecil County. I like the little donut slicks on the front. LOL! Actually not a bad little car. Go Ecotech!

Mark Yacavone 10-25-2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 626591)
Back to the "Further Adventures of Not-for-Nuthin" or "You Can Be a Total Slacker and Still Go Stock Eliminator Racing".
For this chapter, I have added a set of 19.5x7" Hoosier slicks, the previously mentioned 22" Hoosier frontrunners/rearrunners and, after draining out the gas tank, some NHRA approved Sunoco 260 GTX fuel (98 octane, unleaded). That's all.
Did I mention anything about ignorance and/or stupidity?
First pass, I got the car good and hot and, still running the car in D3, went a 15.83 at only 82 MPH. The car is shutting off just past the 1000 ft. clock.
OK, I ignorantly/stupidly think, I'm getting into a rev limiter.
Second pass, I leave the line in D3 and after the car gets to 6000 RPM in 3rd gear, I shift into D4. And the car goes a 15.75 but does exactly the same thing at exactly the same spot on the track.Hmmmm.
Third pass, I cool the car down and make the run with the shifter in D4 BUT this time, I'm going to watch the speedometer instead of the tach. It goes a 15.655 at 82.75 MPH with the speedo indicating 105 MPH (remember, the really short slicks).
I am now running into the SPEED limiter in the ECU.
So, I'll finish this chapter by saying that I apparently need to kidnap a kid and download a program before I can go play with this thing again. BUT it did run within .05 of the index (DA 1940 ft.) shutting itself off at 1100ft and I still haven't done anything but remove the P/S pump that involved getting dirty.
I'll try and post a couple of pictures later.

Probably more than one limiter in that computer. I don't think you can crack into it easily. We had Ed Wright exorcise a bunch of stuff for us on the Monte. Probably didn't want to hear that.

Marty Knox 10-26-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 626640)
Probably more than one limiter in that computer. I don't think you can crack into it easily. We had Ed Wright exorcise a bunch of stuff for us on the Monte. Probably didn't want to hear that.

What about using an aftermarket computer? Is it hard to put in everything you need?

Robin Lawrence 10-26-2020 08:12 AM

I just pulled up a HP Tuners file for that engine combination and body. the speed limiter is active at 106 MPH and turns back on at 104.

very basic ECU and should be very easy for you to come up to speed.

Most notable the Torque table limits in 4 gear. There are no COT or Cat Over Temp in this ECU.
Your rev limiter as 6500.
Could be a little in the shift scheduling also.
I have my own chassis dyno that I do some work on the side so I play with some of the late model flash ware like the HP Tuners.
Great project! Good luck.

Robin

Mark Yacavone 10-26-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Knox (Post 626649)
What about using an aftermarket computer? Is it hard to put in everything you need?

Marty, You've got to re-read the title of this thread . LOL

Marty Knox 10-26-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 626679)
Marty, You've got to re-read the title of this thread . LOL

Mark, I've never priced an aftermarket computer.
How much do they cost?

Mark Yacavone 10-26-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Knox (Post 626713)
Mark, I've never priced an aftermarket computer.
How much do they cost?

I have no idea ;-)

Mark Yacavone 10-27-2020 12:48 AM

Billy, That gas is kinda expensive for this program , isn't it?
Do you use it in anything else ? How much , per ?

Billy Nees 10-27-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 626741)
Billy, That gas is kinda expensive for this program , isn't it?
Do you use it in anything else ? How much , per ?

No, not at this time but I might try it in some other stuff. Depending on where you buy it, it's no more expensive than supreme.
I wanted something without a really high octane rating to start out with because I can't do anything about advancing the timing... yet.

Robin Lawrence 10-27-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 626717)
I have no idea ;-)

Well I have a little experience in this area. One option is what I mentioned earlier about a flashware product such as HP Tuners. Link to hardware. https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2/
The hardware will set you back about 300 plus another 100 for the license to modify the file. Once that is done you can reflash or tune as many times as you wish. You will need a laptop computer also.

There are a ton of Stand Alone ECU's out there. Some are fairly powerful and others can be very simple. I can only speak for the Holley since it's what I do.
A Terminator X Holley (low cost system) can be had for about 1000 and includes the harness. Here is the issue, unless the 2.2 uses a common crank pattern like 4X on Crankshaft then you won't be able to trigger the ECU. As simple as your deal is I would work with the stock ECU. It is speed density and has a VE table. It's so very basic, just tune the VE table (fuel) and timing.

Robin

Billy Nees 10-27-2020 12:04 PM

Thanks Robin for your input. HP Tuners is the way that I have been leaning since I started this project. When you're dealing with an nonredeemable vehicle, cheap is good.

Signman 10-28-2020 08:58 AM

This looks like great fun!
Love it!

There are plenty of cheap laptops out there. Check out Microcenter for refurbs. They usually have a few with small HD for 200-300 sometimes cheaper.

I have a good WIN XP laptop but think the HP Tuner Software wants a newer operating system. It's important to check what type of cable is included with HPT. If it's serial you either need an old laptop or a gender changer of the right type. If it's USB you should be good to go.

Marty Knox 10-28-2020 12:30 PM

It looks like with HP tuners the Transmission Control Module program has to be bought as well. I am sure you will want to adjust the shift points.

Mark Yacavone 10-28-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Knox (Post 626829)
It looks like with HP tuners the Transmission Control Module program has to be bought as well. I am sure you will want to adjust the shift points.

Maybe , but these EFI combos have a definite torque curve , that seems to fall off rapidly.
With stock cams, I wouldn't up the shift points, without trying it manually first.

Tom Meyer 10-28-2020 10:10 PM

We race a 2.2 eco in IMCA dirt track and have done a lot of wheel dyno work. We have picked up a lot of Hp on the curve with a change in the stock ecu tune. We have to run a stock exhaust manifold, but a header and pipe should make more power. Face book Garret at TBG tuned for your tune up he does a lot of eco stuff. PM me and I can tell you some stuff on these motors cheap. They can turn 8000 on the stock bottom end with the rev limit turn up. The intake is the cork like many other engines. If you pull the intake off clean it out good with carb cleaner along with the intake port and valves will help with air flow. A fresh air system is also worth some power if done rite. The stock injectors are fine. Don't forget to change the fuel filter and copper core spark plugs with the gap run a little tighter will also help. Go to a junk yard and get stock cams from a Malibu or Classic same lift but different grind for more toque. I got some for 20 dollars for the pair. Get rid of the balance shafts and it will spin up quicker. There is a simple kit for this that can be done rite in the car. We have made around 160 at the wheel with this combo and with a header it would be more. We run a stick and used a Saturn Vue final drive, it has more ratio 3.94 to a 4.41. Have not done a lot of auto stuff but I sure a master as yourself can find out more. I would like to do a car like this but can't get done what I have already. Tom

GTOMayhem 10-29-2020 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 624117)
This IS NOT a "Dime Rocket"!

Now for the payoff. I took the car to Island Dragway (the only track open on Bracket Finals weekend), got the car hot and made 3 passes doing nothing but clearing the ECU in the lanes before each run. It went 15.83, 15.80, 15.79 at 86 and change. For one last run, I tried cooling the car off before the run and it rewarded me with a 15.705 at 87! Not too bad on a 15.60 index! Not too shabby for a totally "stock", junk car.

This type of thread is why I joined Class Racer. The knowledge base of this forum is unmatched.

Billy, why and how are you clearing the ECU?

Thanks

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Billy Nees 10-29-2020 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOMayhem (Post 626883)
Billy, why and how are you clearing the ECU?
Thanks
Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Rick, I should have written "clearing the ECU's memory". Whether or not it works, I've been told by a handful of guys who bracket race these things to "run it hot and don't let the ECU learn" and it will be consistent. So far, I don't have any reason to dis-believe this advice. I just put a battery quick dis-connect in the ground cable.

GTOMayhem 10-29-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 626888)
Rick, I should have written "clearing the ECU's memory". Whether or not it works, I've been told by a handful of guys who bracket race these things to "run it hot and don't let the ECU learn" and it will be consistent. So far, I don't have any reason to dis-believe this advice. I just put a battery quick dis-connect in the ground cable.

And by 'these things', do you mean Ecotech in particular or cars using stock ECUs in general? Would this be something to do to a 2004 LS1 GTO if I was bracket racing it?

Thanks

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Billy Nees 10-30-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOMayhem (Post 626919)
And by 'these things', do you mean Ecotech in particular or cars using stock ECUs in general? Would this be something to do to a 2004 LS1 GTO if I was bracket racing it?

Thanks

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Cars using stock ECUs in general. It won't cost anything to try it.

Billy Nees 11-04-2020 03:35 PM

Just a quick update, I'm hoping to have a package from HP Tuners by Friday. I'm planning on going to Island on Sunday. I also finally checked out the spark plugs. They are the original plugs with just under 120K miles on them. I have replacements coming.

Glenn Briglio 11-04-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 627286)
Just a quick update, I'm hoping to have a package from HP Tuners by Friday. I'm planning on going to Island on Sunday. I also finally checked out the spark plugs. They are the original plugs with just under 120K miles on them. I have replacements coming.

Breaking the budget with them new spark plugs.........lol

Frank Castros 11-04-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio (Post 627288)
Breaking the budget with them new spark plugs.........lol

Billy I hope you “splurged” for NGKs!

Tom Meyer 11-04-2020 08:35 PM

The timing chain wear out in these motors bad backing up the cams. Loosening the cam bolts and pulling the cams around and then retightening will help also. Get rid of the stock air box will pickup over three HP. Tom