CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Mopar Build - DF/S Neon (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=78978)

HR3128 04-03-2021 10:35 AM

Mopar Build - DF/S Neon

Some health problems in 2018 & 2019 put an end to racing for me. Things were looking better in 2020, so I started to look for a car to race. I stumbled across the “Not for Nuthin’—But Close” & the other race for cheap threads here & thought that this concept fits what I wanted to do. Thanks to Billy Nees & Mark Yacavone & all the others for posting their ideas. New Mopar project is started. Got it home a few days ago. Will be DF/S at 19.85 factor. 2003 Neon R/T, 122" 4cylinder, 150 HP, 5-speed manual. Engine & trans are good. Front K-frame is broken, rusted through on the passenger side. Body is ok but has some rust in the rear quarter, not to bad. It’s not drivable right now because of the broken K-frame & the passenger-side rear brake is locked up. Picking up the replacement K-frame parts on Monday.
Racing Stock Eliminator will be a new experience for me. Any advice is welcome.

Doug Hoven 04-03-2021 10:52 AM

Re: Mopar Build - DF/S Neon

Good luck on your build! If you are going the HP Tuners route, don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

farmco r/sa 04-04-2021 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HR3128 (Post 637962)
Some health problems in 2018 & 2019 put an end to racing for me. Things were looking better in 2020, so I started to look for a car to race. I stumbled across the “Not for Nuthin’—But Close” & the other race for cheap threads here & thought that this concept fits what I wanted to do. Thanks to Billy Nees & Mark Yacavone & all the others for posting their ideas. New Mopar project is started. Got it home a few days ago. Will be DF/S at 19.85 factor. 2003 Neon R/T, 122" 4cylinder, 150 HP, 5-speed manual. Engine & trans are good. Front K-frame is broken, rusted through on the passenger side. Body is ok but has some rust in the rear quarter, not to bad. It’s not drivable right now because of the broken K-frame & the passenger-side rear brake is locked up. Picking up the replacement K-frame parts on Monday.
Racing Stock Eliminator will be a new experience for me. Any advice is welcome.

Your best asset would be Billy Nees.

Billy Nees 04-05-2021 04:47 PM

Not really, he's gonna have to kidnap his own kid!

lvd2340 04-12-2021 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Hoven (Post 637963)
Good luck on your build! If you are going the HP Tuners route, don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Unfortunately it looks like HP Tuners only supports SRT4's

HR3128 04-13-2021 10:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I've looked at some tuners for Neons but haven't got to the point of getting serious about getting something yet. I'm working on getting it drivible. Rear brakes have been fixed. Replacing the K-frame is in the works. Pics are what the current K-frame looks like.

FED 387 04-13-2021 11:56 AM

yes that looks bad---surprised it didn't collapse when they put it on the lift

HR3128 07-03-2021 09:20 PM

Just a quick update on my project – Badly rusted K-frame has been replaced. 20 year-old rusted bolts made this way more of a job than it should have been. But it’s done along with new axles, new front brake calipers, rotors, pads, struts & tie-rod ends. I did drive it around the sub a little today (no plates yet). All seems OK so far.
I have not been able to find any tuner software for this car. The 2003 Neon R/T is a one year only ECM. I have found a place that will sell a re-programmed ECM but not tuning software.
The next step is to take it out for some “test & tune” runs.

FED 387 07-03-2021 10:30 PM

Look at SYKED ENGINEERING they offer a refreshed ECM for 229$

Bob Pagano 07-04-2021 01:17 PM

rust holy crap was it parked under water ? Have fun with your build !