CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ring and pinion set up question (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=56937)

Dana Fitzpatrick 02-21-2015 06:47 PM

Ring and pinion set up question

I'm setting up a new set of Motive pro gears in my 12 bolt,the pattern is out towards the heal of the gear. Do I need a thicker pinion shim or thinner to move in towards the toe? Right now it has a .016. Thank you.

Greg Hill 02-21-2015 07:18 PM

Re: Ring and pinion set up question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Fitzpatrick (Post 462656)
I'm setting up a new set of Motive pro gears in my 12 bolt,the pattern is out towards the heal of the gear. Do I need a thicker pinion shim or thinner to move in towards the toe? Right now it has a .016. Thank you.

Try a .030-.035. That was where the Richmond pro gears usually were.

Dragsinger 02-21-2015 08:19 PM

Dana,

What ratio are you installing?

As posted above, a pinion shim of .032 - .033 will almost always be good with a 12 bolt.

Dana Fitzpatrick 02-21-2015 08:41 PM

They are 4.56's. It's a Strange housing,could that make a difference?
Looking at an old Richmond gear instruction book I have, the pattern looks like one they show as having "low tooth contact,heavy in the root of the drive gear.Move the pinion out of the gear mesh,i.e. increase the pinion cone setting.Translation, please, Lol.
My present pattern doesn't look quite as low on the toe side as their drawing,though.

pbp1 02-21-2015 09:05 PM

Moving the pinion in or out will not change the contact pattern from heel to toe, it will only move the pattern deeper into the root of the teeth or out toward the top edge of the tooth. Heel to toe is mostly affected by the cut of the gear and the alignment of the pinion bore machining to the carrier bearing bore. What you are looking for is the pattern to be centered between the root of the tooth and the edge of the tooth with a rounded edge on the pattern and not a pointed edge on the pattern.

Dana Fitzpatrick 02-21-2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbp1 (Post 462670)
Moving the pinion in or out will not change the contact pattern from heel to toe, it will only move the pattern deeper into the root of the teeth or out toward the top edge of the tooth. Heel to toe is mostly affected by the cut of the gear and the alignment of the pinion bore machining to the carrier bearing bore. What you are looking for is the pattern to be centered between the root of the tooth and the edge of the tooth with a rounded edge on the pattern and not a pointed edge on the pattern.

The pattern does come to a point at the root side of the tooth. Not at all bullet shaped. I did increase the pinion shim to .022. It was .018, not .016. How do I get rid of the sharp point? Back lash is set at .008-.010. The ring gear is marked .008 from Motive.

Dragsinger 02-21-2015 09:35 PM

Dana, The Strange housing could indeed require a different shim. The above posted suggestions were for a factory GM housing.

You can search the web, even Youtube, for "rear gear setup patterns" might find some help.

Also, consider talking with Strange about a suggested shim thickness.

Did the housing have a gear set? If so, the original shim would be a good starting point.

Ed Wright 02-21-2015 11:26 PM

Gear sets typically come with an instruction sheet, with pictures of example patterns, and what is required to correct them. I would never do one without my old Zoom "gear setter", for measuring pinion depth. Puts them dead nuts. Good investment imho.

Dana Fitzpatrick 02-21-2015 11:47 PM

Looking at the Richmond instructions, it looks as though I have low tooth contact.According to the instructions, this is solved by increasing the pinion cone setting. Does this sound like I need to decrease the pinion shim thickness?

Ed Wright 02-21-2015 11:55 PM

You mean Pinion Depth? i've never heard the term Pinion Cone. More shim puts it deeper. I have never seen one require a shim as thin as you mentioned. I can't remember ever using a shim thinner than .028". As has been mentioned, .030" to .033" is very common.