CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Original hemi dart information (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=13002)

Liteweight 09-17-2008 01:45 PM

Original hemi dart information

4 Attachment(s)
Hi my name is Daryl;I am new to this forum,& I'm REALLY hoping someone can help me out with some history of my 1968 original Hemi Dart. I lose it's past from the early 80's back to 1968.I am enclosing some pictures of it when it was purchased from Lou Vignona back in 1985??.There is one picture that shows a decal from the 1977 Bracket Nationals.Maybe someone will regognize it.
This is what I know of the car so far.Lou Vignona said he purchased it from some guy in Mt.Kisco(Cisco??) N.Y in the early 80's.It was in an underground parking lot of some apartment complex.The guy told Lou that it was Charlie Castaldo's Auto. car. I have since found out that it is not Castaldo's car thru talking to one of Charlie's crew members at the time by the name of Charlie Licata.When Lou purhased the car,he had it painted white.This is how Tim Henessey purchased it in 1985.
I have heard some storys about an original Hemi Dart in the N.Y. area that was known as the "two scoop Lido" car.I understand that this Lido guy installed some aftermarket scoop on top of the original scoop.Thus the name.I have spoke with Tim Henessey about this & he did say the original scoop was really messed up so he had to replace it when he restored the car.
If anyone can help me out on this,I sure would appreciate it as I have been searching for info. now for over 3 years,maybe 4.Any little detail may help no matter how small it may be.
Thankyou; Daryl

Casey Miles 09-17-2008 02:22 PM

Re: Original hemi dart information

My brother was friends with a guy named Joe Armor who owned an original Hemi Dodge Dart that was named "Ram Rod" on Long Island. From what I remember that Speedwin automotive did him an engine and it siezed, nearly crashing the car. The origninal motor was take out of the car and sold to a fire department for one of their racing fire trucks.
Joe Armor lived in North Port L. I. and if he's still around you may get some information on your car. His car was white as I remember also. I think that there was a Dart on "MY Classic Car" and the guy I think said that he had gotten it from Speedwin. It's a lead that I hope helps you out.
Casey Miles
248H E/S because of 4 HP

donald j raiser 09-17-2008 02:41 PM

what are the first 4 numbers in the vin?

dj raiser

Liteweight 09-17-2008 02:57 PM

- DJ-The first numbers in the VIN are LO23M8B_ _ _ _ _ _.
-Thankyou Casey I'll look into the Joe Armor lead.Yes there was a Dart on "My Classic Car" that was originally campaigned by Speedwin Automotive.The owners/drivers name was Joe Jill who purchased that car new.
-Here's a couple shots of my car as it sits today.

Thankyou Daryl

donald j raiser 09-17-2008 03:02 PM

IT'S THE REAL DEAL ! i'll have a name and number of a hemi historian tomorrow for you.
dj raiser

Liteweight 09-17-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liteweight (Post 83857)
- DJ-The first numbers in the VIN are LO23M8B_ _ _ _ _ _.
-Thankyou Casey I'll look into the Joe Armor lead.Yes there was a Dart on "My Classic Car" that was originally campaigned by Speedwin Automotive.The owners/drivers name was Joe Jill who purchased that car new.
-Here's a couple shots of my car as it sits today.

Thankyou Daryl

OOPS;I can't seem to attatch any more pictures to my file.guess I used up the total amount allowed.I tryed deleting one of my previous pictures,but I couldn't do that either.Sorry bout that.Anybody have a suggestion as I'm not great on the keyboard.

Daryl

Bob Rice 09-17-2008 03:13 PM

Daryl,
You have a PM.
Bob Rice

Philip Saran 09-17-2008 03:30 PM

Joe Jills "Speedwin Automotive" Hemi Dart has been restored and
is shown on the East coast.

Jo Jills lives here in SOCAL and owns/runs "Superior Automotive"
in Anaheim CA.

Good luck in your search for info on your L023 Hemi Dart.

Liteweight 09-17-2008 03:45 PM

Yes,I just saw the Speedwin car a few weeks ago at the All Hemi Reunion.It's restored back to the original paint scheme.I spoke with Joe Jills a few years back trying to get some leads on my car.Excellant person to talk to.
Daryl

jarn05 09-17-2008 03:49 PM

hi daryl, i am lou's son jimi, i saw your post on this, i remember the car when my dad got it, it still had castaldos paint and name on it before it got painted, i begged my dad and uncle not to sell the car!!!!! we also turned down the speedwin car a few years earlier for $8800.00