CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bypass fuel pressure regulator systems (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=60334)

nhramnl 11-24-2015 03:51 PM

Bypass fuel pressure regulator systems

Has anyone converted their carbureted combination to a bypass system? I'm talking about a system that uses small lines from the pressure regulator that go into a y-block and then back to the fuel cell. If so, it would be great to know what your results were (steadier pressure, additional MPH, ET improvement, or annoying side effects). Thanks.

buzzinhalfdozen 11-24-2015 04:35 PM

Re: Bypass fuel pressure regulator systems

My car is set up that way, mainly so I can go from EFI to carb. Would think best to confirm with your pump manufacturer to make sure it's up to the task. Can't imagine a down side....except of course the gentleman that had the "breaks up at 4500rpm" issue which was solved. BTW there is only 1 return line on my setup (Aeromotive) no Y blocks involved.

Jeff Stout 11-24-2015 05:01 PM

I have the Magna Fuel system on a super stock car. It is a jetted return from reg back to tank. I think a .035 jet into a -4 line to tank. What I noticed with my fuel pressure gauge is that the pressure stayed the same throughout the run with less needle bounce also. Cant say any ET gain.

Alan Nyhus 11-26-2015 12:05 PM

When I put the bypass on, the fuel pressure was a bit more stable. Didn't see any performance improvement but the pump is noticeably cooler. Make sure to extend the bypass line in the tank so it's covered by fuel and isn't aerating the fuel in the tank when it dumps back in.

1320racer 11-27-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhramnl (Post 488681)
Has anyone converted their carbureted combination to a bypass system? I'm talking about a system that uses small lines from the pressure regulator that go into a y-block and then back to the fuel cell. If so, it would be great to know what your results were (steadier pressure, additional MPH, ET improvement, or annoying side effects). Thanks.

Absolutely no change, no improvement whatsoever.

JHeath 11-27-2015 09:35 PM

Mike, call John Rademacher @ Product Engineering, he can explain it better than me.

1320racer 11-27-2015 09:51 PM

My fuel system is all John's aka Product Engineering. Again absolutely NO change, no improvement, no difference. Save your $.

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps2rnxpcdl.jpg

nhramnl 11-27-2015 11:45 PM

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Based on 1320racer's comments and photograph, I have to ask if you had a fuel pressure-based problem when you decided to put the bypass kit on? It looks from the picture that you're using -8 line into the regulator and either -6 or -8 out. Does the car use a QuadraJet, or a 4GC? I guess the key question is, were you hoping to cure a problem and the bypass didn't help (i.e. you still have the problem), were OK but put the bypass system on to guarantee you wouldn't ever have a problem, or put the bypass system on because you were assured that it would pick the car up? Thanks in advance for your answer.

JHeath 11-27-2015 11:56 PM

1320 racer is an expert, even though he doesn't race a super stock car.

1320racer 11-28-2015 12:01 AM

Actually I do.:p

My car is a former super stocker built by the best, MPR, that now has a 900+HP BBC bracket engine under the hood that accelerates it well into the 8's and it's a safe bet I've made more passes down a 1/4 mile than most class racers over the past 25 years.

Back to the OP's question... -8 in and -8 out feeding a Holley 850. Just had the bypass kit laying around for years so I finally decided to put it on.