CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cowl area at back of hood (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=78462)

Kdw1403 01-31-2021 07:54 PM

Cowl area at back of hood

I have 98 camaro that I run in stock eliminator. Can I cut out part of the metal cowl area to make getting the engine in and out? My rubber seal that seals against hood in rear is not in the best shape. Can I remove it? I will keep the plastic part that goes all the way across. Just not much room to get the engine out without having to turn it sideways. Pictures would be nice.

Adger Smith 02-01-2021 03:42 AM

Re: Cowl area at back of hood

Nope, don't believe that modification is legal. You might try a little mis adjustment on the hood to get the back up, but no cutting.

nhramnl 02-01-2021 10:13 AM

I have seen numerous Camaros, Firebirds, Cavaliers, G5s, etc. with a removable windshield washer "tray" and plastic leaf screen. Take a look at almost any MPR-built car and you'll see what I'm talking about. My Cavalier's tray and screen are completely removable, right to the base of the windshield, and when they are back in place, the car looks completely unmodified. Makes a HUGE difference in engine removal and re-installation.

FED 387 02-01-2021 11:25 AM

fabricate a piece of the size of the area that you are removing and keep it place with DZUS fasteners

Mark Yacavone 02-01-2021 11:37 AM

You can't remove the rubber lip/ seal from the back of any hood...in case anyone looks.

SSDiv6 02-01-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhramnl (Post 633382)
I have seen numerous Camaros, Firebirds, Cavaliers, G5s, etc. with a removable windshield washer "tray" and plastic leaf screen. Take a look at almost any MPR-built car and you'll see what I'm talking about. My Cavalier's tray and screen are completely removable, right to the base of the windshield, and when they are back in place, the car looks completely unmodified. Makes a HUGE difference in engine removal and re-installation.

Only allowed in Super Stock class, not Stock class.

nhramnl 02-01-2021 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDiv6 (Post 633394)
Only allowed in Super Stock class, not Stock class.

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed that, since all of the removable panels I've seen have been fabrication-modified such that they look virtually unchanged, and can be bolted right back in (essentially only making a non-removable piece removable), they would be OK. Apparently not. Getting the engine out of a 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird must be brutal, when you can't get the cowl out of the way!

Rich Biebel 02-01-2021 01:56 PM

When I had my ‘97 Firebird Stocker I made an extension for my engine hoist and cut the front of the square tube to clear the area behind the hood.

Also attached the hoist to the engine as tight as possible to the intake.

I left the hood on and just propped it up higher.

Had to turn engine sideways a little and removed probably the water pump and distributer and maybe balancer. It’s been a while so I don’t recall exactly.

I did add a lot of weights to my engine hoist to counter the extension and keep it from flipping over.

I saw that happen by some guys pulling a BB out of an MPR built Firebird and luckily no one was hit other than some minor damage on the cars nose.

I know there is a plate made to attach to those engines for lifting but I dreamed up something else and think it was a spreader bar with chains that I bolted to 4 exhaust port flange holes.

The cowl stuff just got pushed out of the way as needed.

ss3011 02-01-2021 05:35 PM

When I had my 97 Firehawk , I always removed the whole front cradle through the bottom . I made a rolling cart that carried the cradle , and lifted the body up with my hoist . I have seen video's of people lifting the front of the car up using a cherry picker . What is so nice about this method is the engine, trans , headers and complete front suspension come out together , by undoing a minimal number of easy to get at bolts .

KRatcliff 02-01-2021 06:30 PM

I have taken mine out from the bottom and can do it far quicker from the top using one of these. I disconnect the hood struts, bungee it back, and pull the plastic pins holding the cowl in place.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...0_crop_top.jpg

https://tpis.com/products/9_hhk299?v...28342560555080