CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   S&W Anti roll bar one more time. (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=54333)

Rob Petrie E395 08-09-2014 12:49 PM

S&W Anti roll bar one more time.

A while back there was a thread on here about the ARB that S&W makes for 82-02 Camaro and Firebirds. Before I spend 500 plus shipping on one. Has anyone had a problem getting through tech with one recently? I have heard that they are now legal. Can anyone confirm this? Was planning on asking this weekend at Gateway. But could not get away from work to go.

Thanks
Rob

zracer305 08-22-2014 02:19 AM

Re: S&W Anti roll bar one more time.

Anti rollbars in stock have been acceptable for some time now.But, if you setup your rear suspension right, you shouldn't need one. Not a believer in anti-rollbars or air bags for these cars.

Bobby Fazio 08-22-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 (Post 440994)
A while back there was a thread on here about the ARB that S&W makes for 82-02 Camaro and Firebirds. Before I spend 500 plus shipping on one. Has anyone had a problem getting through tech with one recently? I have heard that they are now legal. Can anyone confirm this? Was planning on asking this weekend at Gateway. But could not get away from work to go.

Thanks
Rob

As far as I know, if it's bolt in it is legal. If it requires welding it is illegal. If it is bolted to something that has been welded to the frame, then it is questionable.

zracer305 08-23-2014 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the fastest LT1 Camaros in the land runs this S&W anti-rollbar setup.

Stock726 08-25-2014 08:33 PM

Does anyone in tech even look underneath cars anymore??

Mark Yacavone 08-25-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zracer305 (Post 442660)
One of the fastest LT1 Camaros in the land runs this S&W anti-rollbar setup.

How is that upper cross bar fastened to the frame, or subframe I guess I should say?

Doug Blackley 08-25-2014 10:48 PM

On the previous thread a number of the division tech directors weighed in on this very set up. Before purchasing one for your stocker I would suggest you contact your divisions tech director for their thoughts. I will say that if set up properly nothing more than the factory installed sway bar is necessary to make these cars work

zracer305 08-27-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 442964)
How is that upper cross bar fastened to the frame, or subframe I guess I should say?

http://www.swracecars.com/Files/pdf/40-613.pdf

zracer305 08-27-2014 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Blackley (Post 442988)
On the previous thread a number of the division tech directors weighed in on this very set up. Before purchasing one for your stocker I would suggest you contact your divisions tech director for their thoughts. I will say that if set up properly nothing more than the factory installed sway bar is necessary to make these cars work

I agree Doug!!! But, let's not forget the correct shocks, springs and solidly maintaining pinion angle throughout the launch. I set these cars up like a 3-link. Shooting for zero anti-squat. I will soon be testing my new torque arm setup. If it works to my satisfaction I'll post some pictures.

Rich Biebel 08-27-2014 05:16 AM

The '97 Firebird I raced in stock had no anti roll bar. Never needed it. Pretty much always hooked well and went straight with no chassis twist. Very hard leaving car, front end in the air every run.

Modified stock torque arm.....bolt on traction bars.