CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Crank Trigger (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=49049)

js72mav 08-26-2013 06:08 PM

Crank Trigger

Wondering what the pros and cons are of using a crank trigger over a billet distributor? Does one make your car faster than the other, or is one just better for the valve timing, etc.

Thanks!

Mike Taylor 3601 08-27-2013 08:34 AM

Re: Crank Trigger

The crank trigger should give you more stable timing than dist.. I have dynoed w/both I never have seen real power difference,however if you have mechanical advance in dist. and timing is not stable,can see timing marks moving around bouncing,not staying steady when advanced it will hurt power,and can be fixed usaully by locking advance,take dist gear off ,shaft out,under where weights are there is nut that takes 11/32 wrench remove it w/bushing and rotate 180 degrees where there is hole that stud will fit through and reinstall nut and reassemble dist.
One advantage I see w/crank trigger is when using alot of retard,like with nitrous is that you can phase rotor when timing is retarded.
There maybe some power in crank trigger,but have seen alot change and not go any faster.
Crank trigger or dist. won't have any effect on valve timing,they will only effect ignition timing.
Mike Taylor 3601

js72mav 08-27-2013 09:06 PM

Thanks Mike!

201250 08-29-2013 08:06 PM

I am no expert on this subject, but I can give you feedback when I changed to one. Mike is right when it comes to the stable nature of the crank trigger. The marks were very stable, which allowed for small adjustments to be made. The other change I made at the same time was installing a Jessel Belt drive. You cannot believe how stable the entire valve train was. Quieted the noise and vibration completely. No numbers to back it up but the engine was making more power. This was a big block Mopar.

Terry

1320racer 08-30-2013 07:45 AM

All I can tell you is claims of more stable timing aside, my 950HP engine, turning 8000 in the lights in my nearly 3200 lb. ride that makes 250+ passes a season, prints time slips WITHOUT a crank trigger and no belt drive either.

buzzinhalfdozen 08-30-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320racer (Post 397122)
All I can tell you is claims of more stable timing aside, my 950HP engine, turning 8000 in the lights in my nearly 3200 lb. ride that makes 250+ passes a season, prints time slips WITHOUT a crank trigger and no belt drive either.

Nope, crank triggers are no good the OE manufacturers spent millions of dollars putting crank trigger initiated ignition systems on their engines for no reason. There is no doubt you can run a dist. ignition system on a race engine, ran mine to 10,000 + rpm using one. I now use a coil near plug system with a 60 tooth crank trigger to REALLY know where the timing is. When you are taxing an engine a lot you need the very best control over your timing. Put a timing light on an engine using a dist. then put it on a crank triggered engine and tell us what you see. I already know but try it. My .02 And BTW it's not a "claim" it's FACT

Chad Rhodes 08-30-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzinhalfdozen (Post 397203)
Nope, crank triggers are no good the OE manufacturers spent millions of dollars putting crank trigger initiated ignition systems on their engines for no reason. There is no doubt you can run a dist. ignition system on a race engine, ran mine to 10,000 + rpm using one. I now use a coil near plug system with a 60 tooth crank trigger to REALLY know where the timing is. When you are taxing an engine a lot you need the very best control over your timing. Put a timing light on an engine using a dist. then put it on a crank triggered engine and tell us what you see. I already know but try it. My .02 And BTW it's not a "claim" it's FACT

Pay him no attention. He's a know it all blowhard, that's well past wearing his welcome out here

Ed Wright 08-30-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes (Post 397263)
Pay him no attention. He's a know it all blowhard, that's well past wearing his welcome out here

Really Chad? I have been looking to him for advice!! LMAO!!

He still can't find the et bracket section. LOL

SStockDart 08-30-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

disregard....not worth my effort

Pedigo Perf 08-31-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Where can I get a time slip printer for my car?