CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   X /Stock ? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=74658)

Mark Yacavone 11-04-2019 09:54 PM

X /Stock ?

26 lbs. per.
RWD V8, 6, or 4
Stick or auto..100# extra for stick
Around 17.00 index.
Who would support it?
Who would build one?
Who just fell asleep reading this?

stage1scott 11-05-2019 12:38 AM

Re: X /Stock ?

I'm not gonna build one-or anything else for that matter but I remember having my butt kicked several times by the X/S "Horse sense" Pinto in the mid 70s in my B/S 396 L78 Chevelle. Man I hated that car! we used to call it the "horse-***** pinto" Of course this was when I raced a car that I loved, instead of studying the guide and building a car that could win-IIRC the hp factor for my iron head L78 was 415 hp at the time with stock axles and a Muncie 4 speed. I learned how to repair that 12 bolt and that trans in the dirt at midnight pretty quickly.....
it's an interesting concept though I would watch em and root for them!

Dave Noll 11-05-2019 01:01 AM

Why not? Yes! Rowing gears is more fun.

340Cuda 11-06-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stage1scott (Post 601055)
I'm not gonna build one-or anything else for that matter but I remember having my butt kicked several times by the X/S "Horse sense" Pinto in the mid 70s in my B/S 396 L78 Chevelle. Man I hated that car! we used to call it the "horse-***** pinto" Of course this was when I raced a car that I loved, instead of studying the guide and building a car that could win-IIRC the hp factor for my iron head L78 was 415 hp at the time with stock axles and a Muncie 4 speed. I learned how to repair that 12 bolt and that trans in the dirt at midnight pretty quickly.....
it's an interesting concept though I would watch em and root for them!

Yes I got my head handed to me by a Pinto at an AHRA race back then. Probably the same guy.

FireSale 11-06-2019 02:09 PM

Derrick Elam runs a Pinto wagon around here in D6. I looked it up and he bought it from Marty Buth. So, there are two who don't laugh at the idea. It's a W/SA. Very clean. One of the first OHC engines in a production car (I think).

Jerry Terry 11-06-2019 02:44 PM

I think that was Tom Rieder (Horse Sense) from Michigan I think he worked at ford or was a sub contractor for them those cars were way fast back then.

Jerry
Retired 3490 3492 STK SS SST

Mark Yacavone 11-06-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireSale (Post 601162)
Derrick Elam runs a Pinto wagon around here in D6. I looked it up and he bought it from Marty Buth. So, there are two who don't laugh at the idea. It's a W/SA. Very clean. One of the first OHC engines in a production car (I think).

Under this proposal, a car that was a natural W car , could drop down to X.

TGould 11-06-2019 07:47 PM

X/S was a 23 lb class until NHRA eliminated X,Y,Z in 1983 to make room for the FWD cars. In 1978 Stan Welch (Hobby Horse ?) set the X/S record at 15.25 and I think won the Gators one year. Or, it may have been Dan Rockwell.

Tom Reider was a Design Engineer at Ford. He and Mel Wallace, a Mechanical Engineer at Ford, formed the Reider and Wallace race team .

1matcoman 11-06-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Terry (Post 601164)
.........those cars were way fast back then.

Huh?

(j/k Jerry, we know what you meant. Just got a chuckle out of what you said.)

cicero819 11-06-2019 09:53 PM

Come on Mark, you still have one more in you to build.I'm sure that your local junkyards have one in their inventory and in good shape.Claude R.

Mark Yacavone 11-06-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cicero819 (Post 601189)
Come on Mark, you still have one more in you to build.I'm sure that your local junkyards have one in their inventory and in good shape.Claude R.

Haha.. We'll see , but it would be for our local S/SS group. No 6-7 g.p. tour....for sure.

I was going to put this in the main section, but I didn't want Perrone and his wife to see it and get all torqued off.

I can think of at least two good W/Stockers that are just too darn heavy @ 24 lbs.
One is EFI too.
Write me, only if you would actually do it, within a reasonable amount of time.

Jerry Terry 11-06-2019 10:56 PM

Does anybody know what happened to or where the Rieder n Wallace cars went ?

Jerry
Retired 3490 3492 STK SS SST

HawkBrosMav 11-07-2019 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 601193)
Haha.. We'll see , but it would be for our local S/SS group. No 6-7 g.p. tour....for sure.

I was going to put this in the main section, but I didn't want Perrone and his wife to see it and get all torqued off.

I can think of at least two good W/Stockers that are just too darn heavy @ 24 lbs.
One is EFI too.
Write me, only if you would actually do it, within a reasonable amount of time.

Yeah, come on Mark. We could always use another car in the group. I'm sure you know of a car or two that could be an affordable rocket.

Matt

Billy Nees 11-09-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 601046)
26 lbs. per.
RWD V8, 6, or 4
Stick or auto..100# extra for stick
Around 17.00 index.
Who would support it?
Who would build one?
Who just fell asleep reading this?

So Mark, where did this come from?

FED 387 11-09-2019 11:36 AM

Mark---give us some some examples of combos that could fit this class please--FED 387

Mark Yacavone 11-09-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 601358)
So Mark, where did this come from?

You mean like a big 77 FFFFord wagon with a 302 2v? ..No , that's not it LOL

I'll call you ...

Mark Yacavone 11-09-2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FED 387 (Post 601364)
Mark---give us some some examples of combos that could fit this class please--FED 387

Dick , see above.
On the other end of the spectrum, Ron Seibenick has a Fox hatchback that runs under in W/Stock. I haven't talked to him about it, but it has to be way heavy for the class.

How about a 1980 Cutlass Cruiser wagon with a 260 V8 @ 135 hp ?

Mark Yacavone 11-09-2019 11:13 PM

Actually guys,
The FWD thread got me thinking that some guys might not mind leaving first and being chased with a budget car, but want no part of a FWD car..Can't say that I blame them ;-)

Billy Nees 11-10-2019 08:22 AM

Sounds like this deal has "Dime Rocket" written all over it!

Oh, oh, wait a minute, umm............. this sounds like a real high dollar deal that would cost the Racers a fortune to get into. It would probably lead to lots of high end sponsorship involvement and make the NHRA BOD a fortune!!! As a little guy, I don't like it. ................

impstocker 12-13-2019 05:21 AM

How about a 3rd Generation Camaro or Firebird? I know the 1985's came with a Iron Duke 151 TBI Almost started the project years back, parts were collected, still have, like a Mini-Spool for a 7.5 rear with 4:56 gears..all types of blocks..even a couple with Chevy bellhousing bolt patterns. Would have fell into W , maybe a little heavy too..took to track once just as it was..ran 19.60's..slipped on a smaller rear tire, ran a 19.30..

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala I/SA turning into a I/Stick
1997 Mustang V6 T/SA project with brother.

Mark Yacavone 12-13-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impstocker (Post 603775)
How about a 3rd Generation Camaro or Firebird? I know the 1985's came with a Iron Duke 151 TBI Almost started the project years back, parts were collected, still have, like a Mini-Spool for a 7.5 rear with 4:56 gears..all types of blocks..even a couple with Chevy bellhousing bolt patterns. Would have fell into W , maybe a little heavy too..took to track once just as it was..ran 19.60's..slipped on a smaller rear tire, ran a 19.30..

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala I/SA turning into a I/Stick
1997 Mustang V6 T/SA project with brother.

A bit high rated for W/Stock, but I'm sure it would run under the index. Qualifying at Indy would be a different story. You have your choice of a Vari-jet or TBI.

S10 134 might be good.
Who was the guy from Memphis , associated with RHS or Comp Cams that had one about a decade ago? He managed to get 5 hp put on the automatic (but not the stick ;-) )

Billy Nees 12-14-2019 08:41 AM

Mark, you're just itching to do a 4 cyl. Chevy II aren't you?

Mark Yacavone 12-14-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 603836)
Mark, you're just itching to do a 4 cyl. Chevy II aren't you?

Cannot tell a lie...
As soon as someone donates a 62-3 100 2 dr. or sells me one at scrap value.
I might even paint the engine Chevy orange :-)

RickF 03-18-2020 03:01 PM

Is the S-10 134 a feasible project, just curious.

Billy Nees 03-18-2020 03:35 PM

Someone went fast enough with one to get some HP so I would guess that it's feasible.

Mark Yacavone 03-18-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickF (Post 610284)
Is the S-10 134 a feasible project, just curious.

Bear in mind that the modern EFI , roller cam engines seem a little high on their hp ratings, compared to early model, 4 and 6 cylinders combos. Don't let that discourage you. They are designed for maximum torque, using a limited amount of displacement for, mpg and emissions reasons.

RickF 03-18-2020 06:51 PM

Any drawbacks to running a stick?

Mark Yacavone 03-18-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickF (Post 610297)
Any drawbacks to running a stick?

There wouldn't be any for me.
Use a 2wd V6 8.5 rear. I'd go with a spool and axles, but I've been known to break stuff that's not known to break with a 4 cylinder.
You could use a slick shifted T5 with 5th removed. Aftermarket shifter, and a good brand diaphragm clutch.
Of course, some would be tempted to want to use a Jerico and a high zoot multiple disc small clutch, and a steel bell, but that would kinda defeat the dime rocket course of action, the way I see it.

RickF 03-19-2020 11:14 AM

Mark, I appreciate the info. Do you know any engine shops familiar with the 4 cyl.? The tech. specs. show it with a throttle body, what needs to be done with the electronics? Thanks again.

Mark Yacavone 03-19-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickF (Post 610326)
Mark, I appreciate the info. Do you know any engine shops familiar with the 4 cyl.? The tech. specs. show it with a throttle body, what needs to be done with the electronics? Thanks again.

If I was going to do one of these, and I didn't want to start with a complete truck, I'd look for a complete engine at the monthly U pull it engine sale. I'd take it apart and see what I had. There's no piston approved so I'd look for some OEM .020 over ones on Ebay. There's no rod and piston weight spec, so that's a big plus, if you get my drift.
I'm pretty sure it's a thinner mm ring set. I'd call Kevin at Total Seal and see if we could match something up for a low drag set.
Nobody is going to have a torque plate, so I'd fill the block way up there, and bolt the head back on and let it sit there. Then I'd have someone who knows how to hone a block, give me about .003 piston to wall.. Balance it, deck it, and your short block is done.
Have somebody that does currently legal NHRA heads, give it a work over..Nothing too fancy. I'd call Chris Padgitt @ Bullit for a cam.
Notice I'm telling you how I would do it, personally. To me ,that's part of the fun of building these lower class dime rockets.
As far as recommending someone to take on the whole engine build, I have no idea.
Maybe someone here will speak up..
I think you have to send the whole computer out to someone like Ed Wright, who will remove all the limiters and give it some more fuel and timing. You're going to have to keep the duration down and the vacuum up, if you want to keep within the constraints of an OEM computer.
From here, you know where I am,

Mark Yacavone 03-19-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickF (Post 610326)
The tech. specs. show it with a throttle body, what needs to be done with the electronics? Thanks again.

I just noticed this.
The throttle body spec is for the air inlet. However, it is not a wet throttle body.
It is PFI (port fuel injection)..Remember what I said about the modern, torque inducing design.

Dwight Southerland 03-19-2020 07:14 PM

There was one of these built and raced in the Memphis are way back in the 1990s. It was very fast then.

Mark Yacavone 01-21-2023 11:59 AM

See thread in S/SS section that used to be at the top of the pile on this site ;-)

Mark Yacavone 05-01-2023 07:46 PM

Oh yes... One more "tech" item.

Local, name brand pump gas allowed.

(This is supposed to be an entry level class..whatever that means)

Mark Yacavone 05-01-2023 08:03 PM

Best rule item yet...

You must show up with used 9" radials, bought from the guys with the 8-9 second factory "Stockers" LOL ;-) ;-)