CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   PG internal T Brake Solenoid (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=63651)

Mike Semeniuk 09-15-2016 04:56 PM

PG internal T Brake Solenoid

The internal T Brake in my PG will not hold. Happened all of the sudden and I am thinking it is the solenoid. Called ATI and they no longer stock the valve body or parts for this unit. Has anyone got a source for this solenoid or any information about it? ATI isn't able to provide any information. I have 16 ohms of coil resistance - don't know if that is normal or FUBAR. I run a 16v system and wonder if these coils are prone to saturation?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Kevin Panzino 09-15-2016 06:17 PM

Re: PG internal T Brake Solenoid

16 Ohms would be 1 amp at 16 volts, so that sounds about right for that little internal solenoid, Mike.

Rich Biebel 09-15-2016 06:47 PM

I have one somewhere in my garage. Complete valve body with internal solinoid. Trans was built by Select and I they used ATI parts back then. Worked fine as a long tail trans. Had it changed to a shorty to fit a dragster and trans brake no longer worked. Had another complete trans built. VB was given back to me and is in a box somewhere. I can look for it and check the ohm reading on the solinoid. You can energize it and should hear it click. 16 ohms does sound like what would be a good number for a small coil.

Tom Goldman 09-15-2016 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Semeniuk (Post 514907)
The internal T Brake in my PG will not hold. Happened all of the sudden and I am thinking it is the solenoid. Called ATI and they no longer stock the valve body or parts for this unit. Has anyone got a source for this solenoid or any information about it? ATI isn't able to provide any information. I have 16 ohms of coil resistance - don't know if that is normal or FUBAR. I run a 16v system and wonder if these coils are prone to saturation?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Mike , I have one on the bench right now for a customer .
It reads 17.8 ohms
I have to look in my parts bins ,I may still have a spare or two. ....I used to use these for my Mud racer customers.

Mike Semeniuk 09-15-2016 09:48 PM

Thanks for replies so far. I was thinking 16 should be close; sound like it is. I will drop the VB tomorrow and actually power it up on bench and see if it operates and look for other possible problems . So I may be replying to some of you soon. Thanks again for your help.

Robbie Welch 09-16-2016 06:32 AM

I run a Trans Brake with an internal solenoid not and ATI mine has a safety pressure switch. If ATI uses the switch check that.