CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Goodyear Slick won't stay inflated (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=63771)

Bobby Lundholm 09-26-2016 09:46 AM

Goodyear Slick won't stay inflated

It leaks down overnight and is completely flat. Is the bead not sealed correctly? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Croley 09-26-2016 10:52 AM

Re: Goodyear Slick won't stay inflated

An easy way to find the issue is to submerge the wheel/tire assembly in water ( soapy water is even better ) and the bubbles will show you where the problem is. If you have an understanding wife, the bathtub will work fine. The alternative is to wipe soapy water over the surface of the tire and around both beads while watching for the bubbles. Also check the valve stem to be sure it isn't leaking internally.

Myron Piatek 09-26-2016 11:35 AM

Are they new, or how old??

John Dinkel 09-26-2016 11:45 AM

Old Goodyears will leak through the tire.

Bobby Lundholm 09-26-2016 12:30 PM

Older. Not really old though. They went flat over the winter. I filled them up and one is staying inflated and the other is leaking down,

Bob Mulry 09-26-2016 01:11 PM

If it's leaking through the sidewall just use the old soap trick on the inside of the sidewalls................

Bob

Eman 09-28-2016 08:07 AM

First find where it's leaking. If it's the sidewall dismount the tire and rub Palmolive dish soap on the inside of the sidewall. I let it dry and rub a second coat, then remount and inflate. The soap seals the pores.
If it's the bead remove the tire and clean the wheel where the bead seats. Also clean the tire bead completely and then wipe both surfaces with a solvent like acetone. I've also used hair spray on the beads to keep the tire from turning on the wheel if no wheel screws.
That's another thing. Were these tires ever screwed before? Are they screwed now?

Bobby Lundholm 09-28-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eman (Post 515916)
First find where it's leaking. If it's the sidewall dismount the tire and rub Palmolive dish soap on the inside of the sidewall. I let it dry and rub a second coat, then remount and inflate. The soap seals the pores.
If it's the bead remove the tire and clean the wheel where the bead seats. Also clean the tire bead completely and then wipe both surfaces with a solvent like acetone. I've also used hair spray on the beads to keep the tire from turning on the wheel if no wheel screws.
That's another thing. Were these tires ever screwed before? Are they screwed now?

I was looking at it again last night and I believe the bead came unseated. They have always leaked a little but not completely flat overnight. I will take the slick off, clean up the wheel and slick, and then mount it again.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike Taylor 3601 09-28-2016 09:34 AM

I always put a thin bead 1/8''of ultra black silicone on wheel and it helps it seal.
you can use orange or blue or gray if you want LOL
Mike Taylor 3601

randy wilson 09-29-2016 07:55 AM

It's leaking from where the tire is formed in the middle. The soap works, but so does a thin coat of gasket sealer.