CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Competition (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   ? for old guys (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=76966)

rod 08-09-2020 04:00 PM

? for old guys

lets go way back to the early 60's. Does anyone know the difference between a competition roadster and a modified roadster?
these were the roadsters with the rear tires in the door area. unlike an altered where they were behind the door/s.
any help or leads will be appreciated.

Thanks Rod in AZ

Tom Goldman 08-13-2020 10:59 PM

Re: ? for old guys

Quote:

Originally Posted by rod (Post 620514)
lets go way back to the early 60's. Does anyone know the difference between a competition roadster and a modified roadster?
these were the roadsters with the rear tires in the door area. unlike an altered where they were behind the door/s.
any help or leads will be appreciated.

Thanks Rod in AZ

Competition Roadsters and their brothers the Competition Coupes were nothing more than dragsters with production automobile bodies on them .
In my opinion they were the next coolest thing to a Fuel Altered .
There were several Roadster classes in the early Comp days with conventional wheelbase and wheel location.
The Street Roadster class which was based on early model roadsters like Model A's and Deuces.
In the beginning they were crazy looking ,way high crankshaft centerline monsters .
There was also the Sports Production and Modified Sports Production classes that were populated by Corvettes ,Tbirds , Cobras and sometimes even Jaguars and MG'S

Rich Biebel 08-17-2020 11:19 AM

A very well known racer who ended up a Pro Stock racer used to call the old Competition Eliminator....."TRACTOR Eliminator"...and I still use that name for it....

Extreme backyard engineering......

Like Tom said....a front engine dragster with an old body stuck on it made for some strange looking cars......

Charlie Yannetti 09-16-2020 10:01 AM

SOOOOOOOOOO, by their participation in this thread, are Tom and Rich actually Ol' Guyz??.. asking for a friend... LOL!!

Tom Goldman 09-16-2020 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Yannetti (Post 623574)
SOOOOOOOOOO, by their participation in this thread, are Tom and Rich actually Ol' Guyz??.. asking for a friend... LOL!!

Yeah, we old .
I'm still kind of the kid amongst guys like Richie !

Rich Biebel 09-17-2020 01:56 PM

Old is a relative term...

The Earth is old...The Universe is really old

Some days I feel young, other days forgetaboutit.....

The alternative to getting old is not good so I'm happy I'm still around talking about OLD racecars sometimes......

Mike Jones 09-27-2020 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Goldman (Post 620889)
Competition Roadsters and their brothers the Competition Coupes were nothing more than dragsters with production automobile bodies on them .
In my opinion they were the next coolest thing to a Fuel Altered .
There were several Roadster classes in the early Comp days with conventional wheelbase and wheel location.
The Street Roadster class which was based on early model roadsters like Model A's and Deuces.
In the beginning they were crazy looking ,way high crankshaft centerline monsters .
There was also the Sports Production and Modified Sports Production classes that were populated by Corvettes ,Tbirds , Cobras and sometimes even Jaguars and MG'S

I have never seen a better collection of early photos, than on the site below.
See you in a few days…

http://www.georgeklass.net/index.html

Bench Racer 10-18-2020 04:03 PM

Not to hijack a thread, but another question only some old schoolers would know. I'm almost 61 years old now, but remember going to Bristol with my Dad around 1970. I was around 10 y/o and didn't have a clue what I was looking at. I have a memory of what I think was a type of modified compact car. I remember it being yellow, possibly a MG, Opel, or Triumph sized car. It was a four cylinder for sure and it sounded like a jar of mad hornets. I started going to IHRA races with my brother in 1981 when he bought an IHRA 1958 2 dr. SS/Production wagon. I remember watching a A/MC beetle from Albemarle NC thrash the V-8 land tank. One of my favorites was a Pontiac t-1000 with an Iron Duke that ran Modified. We were pitted next to a F/D this weekend at Rockingham. It ran an Iron Duke with a old Pro Stock Truck head on it. It was nasty fast and I drooled every time I got near it. I love the odd ball combinations. Thanks in advance, Don Jackson, aka Bench racer.