CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's have a discussion about setting records (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=66333)

Ed Carpenter 05-22-2017 03:39 PM

Let's have a discussion about setting records

Nevermind this isn't worth the the trouble its bringing me. Try to do something positive and people **** all over it.

ALMACK 05-22-2017 03:42 PM

Re: Let's have a discussion about setting records

Anyone else notice that National Dragster no longer lists the 1/4 mile records ?

Years ago the 1/8th mile records disappeared.
Now the 1/4 records...:(

Cotten 05-22-2017 03:50 PM

I very much like the idea of creating some inventive to set records and qualify well

As you probably know in the "old days" you were awarded points as your example for qualifying. When they went to the 10pts per round win rather than 100pts they eluminated it as I assume they felt it was weighted to heavily towards qualifying. As an example you could earn the equivalent points of being runner up at a race by qualifying number 1 eight times.

Perhaps the same system with fractional points i.e. 1.6 for number 1 1.5 number 2 etc.

Also a smaller number of points for records.

Perhaps in a more perfect world some of the manufacturers could pay contingency for records lol

I like the direction of your thinking.

Mike

GEORGE PETERSON 05-22-2017 04:00 PM

Records are made to be broken, not to expire.

Ernie Neal 05-22-2017 04:17 PM

I agree Ed, I hate to see all those minimums as well. Yes George, they should stay until someone else takes it!! I know it's work tearing them down, I don't mind a little work occasionally.

Ernie Neal
SS 354 and GT/H record holder

denbreeden 05-22-2017 04:26 PM

Mopar is paying $500 for setting a record this year, that's a great start. That may be for Drag Paks only, I will have to read it again. I plan on collecting at the next National Open. I like Ed's thoughts on qualifying as well, we are supposed to be all about performance.

Dennis Breeden

Billy Nees 05-22-2017 04:57 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember way back in ancient history that National Record Holders got a Gold Card. Now, there's some incentive!

BBF67 05-22-2017 06:19 PM

As often as horsepower is being refactored on some combinations, what happens to the record when a car gets bumped into another class?

Mark Yacavone 05-22-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBF67 (Post 535325)
As often as horsepower is being refactored on some combinations, what happens to the record when a car gets bumped into another class?

They are supposed to be returned to a minimum , if the car weight , at the time of record setting, is less than required at present.
However, I've seen examples recently where they were just allowed to expire.
I'd be okay with "forever" records, if the hp and weight changes were policed like Farmer would have done.

BRETV 05-22-2017 06:45 PM

Ed, I'm so glad you started this thread, I was just looking at all the minimums and thinking how sad!!! First would be at least getting NHRA to relist them back in ND.

Bret Velde
2003 SS/LA