CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   cooling fan question (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=86875)

Kenney Kelley 02-29-2024 05:05 PM

cooling fan question

Does the electric radiator fan pull air across the radiator from out side of the car
or does it push air to the outside of the car thru the radiator? I'm wiring the fans now and i was wondering how to wire them.

Thank You Kenney Kelley

Keith 944 02-29-2024 05:06 PM

Re: cooling fan question

Pulls through rad. Towards the engine.
Or if you have the fan on the other side, push it towards the engine

Myron Piatek 03-02-2024 11:48 AM

I've always been under the impression that an electric fan mounted on the "inside" and pulling air from the front into the engine compartment, does a more efficient job of cooling.

It depends if you have enough room on the inside of the radiator. But I believe most fans that mount on the radiator simply require the wires to be swapped to change the direction/rotation.

Larry Hill 03-03-2024 08:18 AM

When racing the truck I was told that I had to have a fan. I had a stock water pump with the standard tooth belt and auxiliary 12 volt motor. Tech said go buy a fan and I did and install it. The fan added about 12 OZ to the nose of the truck. It was not any faster or slower with the fan and with the engine being a v6 the blades were so far away they did not generate any air flow across the radiator core.
But to race I had to follow instructions.

Rory McNeil 03-03-2024 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Hill (Post 694467)
When racing the truck I was told that I had to have a fan. I had a stock water pump with the standard tooth belt and auxiliary 12 volt motor. Tech said go buy a fan and I did and install it. The fan added about 12 OZ to the nose of the truck. It was not any faster or slower with the fan and with the engine being a v6 the blades were so far away they did not generate any air flow across the radiator core.
But to race I had to follow instructions.

That really makes no sense at all, considering that you are allowed to run an electric water pump, that has no provisions for a belt driven fan. I never ran a belt driven fan on my Mustang, even with the stock water pump and a Moroso electric belt drive. Considering how slow the water pump spins with such a drive, and 5.0 Mustangs used a reverse rotation fan, doubt it would do anything, anyhow. Larry, was this a NHRA Tech official?

Larry Hill 03-03-2024 09:45 PM

It was at Indy. Who it was I don’t remember.