CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Larry Carrier's IHRA (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=54031)

Mike Taylor 3601 07-19-2014 03:41 PM

Larry Carrier's IHRA

I been watching some old videos,brought back a lot of old memories,and have come to the conclusion that Larry Carrier's IHRA is about my favorite drag racing, I don't think IHRA has ever been the same since Larry Carrier sold to Billy Meyer.

Get on youtube watch some of the late 80's TNN coverage,peoples home videos.
I think it is some of best drag racing around.

The old WCS races were always huge before IHRA split into divisions.
Mike Taylor 3601

jims5600 07-20-2014 03:30 PM

Re: Larry Carrier's IHRA

I gotta agree. We ran a few divisional races then and it was fun.
Guess that was "the good old days"

cambria 07-23-2014 12:35 PM

About 10 of us used to race every IHRA race stock super stock and Top stock.They had the pros the race was a blast and the pit parties next to none.Then the bottom fell out pros became an exhibition.What a shame we have never been back nor have my friends.For a while I think they were becoming as big as NHRA.I wish they could return to where they were when Bill was running the show we would be back.Not that we don't like NHRA we would just do both .

Bret Kepner 07-28-2014 11:44 PM

IHRA was never covered by TNN. Ever.

Also, Larry Carrier was gone as of January 1, 1988.

FLEMING 07-29-2014 08:59 AM

Late 80's to mid 90's best memories for me.. Nothing better than the spring and fall nationals at bristol with Kepner on the mic..

After I got my drivers license me and a friend went on friday and stayed the whole weekend for the spring and fall nats every year.. That was a lot of grass mowing back in the day..

I can sit and watch the espn shows for hours.. (I still say ted jones or IHRA needs to sell yearly complilations of the shows on DVD I know I would buy one today.. lol

Mike Taylor 3601 07-29-2014 09:37 AM

I got my networks confused,enjoyed you on the mic also Bret.
I remember the Billy Meyer year well no class racing
Mike Taylor 3601

Rich67stang 07-29-2014 09:48 AM

I have been running IHRA all season in 3 classes, Having a great time. Yes the pros are not as big a show, but still entertaining. We still party in the pits after racing or go to the local restaurants. IHRA racing is what you make out of it just like anywhere else. If racers complain about it others will be discouraged to attend. It is all perception, I have attended many NHRA events that were like going to a funeral, but racers still keep going every year. Racers will generate any excuse that seems fit not to attend events with any sanction. I cannot race IHRA and NHRA, I cannot be away from work that many days, I just choose IHRA and support them the best I can.

joespanova 07-29-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bret Kepner (Post 439723)

Also, Larry Carrier was gone as of January 1, 1988.

Nobody knows the sport better than Bret..........
Also , I was surprised to hear you ( Bret ) announcing for the "Greer Gassers" ?
How the hell did they get you at their events?

k.pascoe 07-29-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joespanova (Post 439746)
Nobody knows the sport better than Bret..........
Also , I was surprised to hear you ( Bret ) announcing for the "Greer Gassers" ?
How the hell did they get you at their events?

I'm glad that Bret's posting!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to hear from you dude!
Hope your feeling much better!!!

John Scott 07-29-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bret Kepner (Post 439723)

I honestly did not go looking for this, I just came across it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzwwaVMCPrk

Sorry