CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NHRA Changes the Rules Today (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=42633)

Jeff Teuton 08-20-2012 11:47 PM

NHRA Changes the Rules Today

Aug 20, the rules set for the new Shootout; on June 18, 2012, and the rules change Aug 20 ,2012. Added 100 lbs to the Challenger, and a .400 pro tree ( which is ok), but even a fat guy like me can't gain 100 lbs in 60 days even eating the Cajun Food 6 times a day. I guess the Ford guys got what they wanted. Jessee Kershaw (Ford HP Guy and a good guy), you got more than I thought. You really got the political power with NHRA no matter how many Funny Cars, Pro Stock and more support Mopar has, you got the upper hand with the official car of NHRA. Mopar has been denied a blower, a three speed transmission, (which Ford and Chevy) have, and a 426 block to compete with the 428 Ford and the 427 Chevy, (we have a 392), so I guess we just suck hind ***. And this ain't about the old car vs. the new cars. I have proposed since 2009 that the cars older than 2008 be reduced by 5% accross the board, but to no avail. I love the old cars. I sold them during the height of the Muscle Car era. I even like Ford and Chevy people. They ain't so bad, just misled. This just astounds me that NHRA would just add 100 lbs in a new class they are trying to get going, thru creating another Mustang shootout like ADRL. Somebody please give me a logical explanation for this so I can at least drive to Bowling Green and not run over somebody for driving a Ford. Help me please.

BOB KIRKBRIDE 08-21-2012 01:22 AM

Re: NHRA Changes the Rules Today

Wow! I am against this new rule and I've raced all or them. I had a new 409 back then, then raced Dodges in '64-5 (those days were fun) and now race a N/SS Ford Thunderbolt and prepping a new 5.0. But I can't see why the Mopars can't run a 3 speed or a supercharger. Fair is Fair!

Jim Wahl 08-21-2012 02:05 AM

Hey Jeff, (Mike Crutchfield D2 SRAC Rep) announced a couple of weeks ago:
"In 2013 it will be OK for anyone running a 3 speed automatic transmission to run a 2 speed trans and if you have a 2 speed you will be able to run a 3 speed. Your option ( this was previously passed for super stock in my last update for 2013)".
Doesn't that include the Dodges? Jim

Peter Ash 08-21-2012 03:36 AM

I want a Blower TOO!

jmcarter 08-21-2012 05:30 AM

Simply amazing they would change the rules at this point. .400 pro tree is going to change the game as well but it's almost like telling Dodge to stay on the porch for this one.

Here's the revised rules...

http://www.nhraracer.com/content/gen...075&zoneid=132

Brett C 08-21-2012 08:23 AM

I agree Mr. Jeff! Cannot change the rules this close to the game. Even though I am currently wheeling a CJ, totally bogus change for the V10. And what the hay is up with a pro tree???? Do they want folks in stock to be like the hemi guys and just show up for the shootout and leave? Talk about throw your driving off! We were still considering to run in it, but now they are making less enticing! May have to let Joey beat me up in BB again! See you guys there.

Brett Candies
4192 Stock/SS

Jeff Teuton 08-21-2012 08:25 AM

The three speed rule applies next year.

BlueOval Ralph 08-21-2012 08:35 AM

Just like Sports Car Racing in the US! He who whines the loudest and last gets the last change before the race. There needs to be a rule that there are no rule changes 15 days before the start of a race.

D.Johns 08-21-2012 08:38 AM

Ford built their car and was the first of the new generation drag cars. It is not Fords fault that Mopar didn't build a Drag Pack with a blower and a 3 speed auto or speced them out that way. NHRA didn't give the Fords that. Ford built the CJs that way and speced them that way. You want a 3 speed and a blower you have a few options to choose from. Maybe next year Mopar will give you a third. Your beef should be with Mopar not NHRA(or Ford).

As for the 100# that hurt! That surprised me. I feel for you guys in the V10 cars to get hit with 100# before a race ever happened. Perhaps they(NHRA) based it off of some performance numbers they have acquired?? I don't like them(NHRA) hanging 100# on anyone this close to the race. The pro-tree? I love that everything should be pro-tree but that's me.

I seriously doubt it was due to your suggested Jesse Kershaw lobbying for a rule change. That really doesn't look good on your part to come in blasting one of the sponsors of the site as well as a big supporter of Drag Racing advancement programs.

Andys dad 08-21-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton (Post 341921)
The three speed rule applies next year.

Can we run our transmission adapter - which came on the car from the factory - so we can use a ProTrans 3spd - the same converter and same driveshaft?
Or
Do we need to loose the crank shaft extension - change the converter, change the drive shaft and use a transmission with a different bolt pattern?

I guess showing we might just be competitive did not help (we cannot beat the fastest blown CJs).

We will save our money for the real western swing - Vegas, Vegas, Vegas and Pomona

Ron

BTW my money is on a "light weight V8 drag pak - 675 lbs is a lot