CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Drum Brakes (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=37350)

Ron Gusack 11-22-2011 11:30 AM

Drum Brakes

Is there a company that makes brake shoes for racing? I'd like to put primary shoes everywhere with good lining material.

Run to Rund 11-22-2011 11:54 AM

Re: Drum Brakes

I had good luck with premium ABEX organic linings on stock shoes from Ott's Friction Supply in Oregon, contact:
john andreotti <andreotti@ottsfrictionsupply.com>

I also have a set of the Velvetouch linings I bought 30-some years ago, but they don't work so well until heated up, so the line lock doesn't do much. . .

Mark Yacavone 11-22-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Gusack (Post 294861)
Is there a company that makes brake shoes for racing? I'd like to put primary shoes everywhere with good lining material.

I would think you would want to put secondary shoes everywhere. Drum brakes retract so there's no drag anyway.. $.02

FED 387 11-22-2011 12:31 PM

see if you can find a reliner that does metallic brake shoes---they do not work cold but stopping at the top end is improved the hotter they get the better they work

FED 387 11-22-2011 12:37 PM

try CTbrakes.com they can reline your shoes ---about $75 per axle thats what they are quoting now---might be more but give em a call--

Jim Kaekel 11-22-2011 12:41 PM

I run drums all the way around and I've had pretty good luck with Raybestos riveted shoes. I noticed that when I removed weight to move from E to D/SA, my car stopped a fair amount better even though it's only about 175 lbs. lighter. I would not recommend using aluminum drums since I developed cracks in mine and went back to cast iron. My .02.

Ron Gusack 11-22-2011 02:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. This is a foot brake car and sometimes it pushes the car forward when I'm staged and the rpm's are too high. I sometimes run an index class with a .400 pro tree and I need the R's pretty high. I'm thinking the extra primary shoes would help to hold it better.

njk53 11-22-2011 02:55 PM

I remember Car Craft or Hot Rod Magazine did an article on a brake manufacturer out of Texas that made a brake shoe with 30% better stopping power than a normal brake shoe. Just can't think of the name of the company.

Jim Kaekel 11-22-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Gusack (Post 294895)
Thanks for the replies. This is a foot brake car and sometimes it pushes the car forward when I'm staged and the rpm's are too high. I sometimes run an index class with a .400 pro tree and I need the R's pretty high. I'm thinking the extra primary shoes would help to hold it better.

Check shoe adjustment. I run my fairly loose for reduced brake drag, but that will happen if they get too loose.

Bob Mulry 11-22-2011 04:21 PM

The primary or leading shoe is the shorter shoe and the secondary or trailing shoe is the longer shoe.........