CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   1978 Mustang II (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=50350)

Robert Swartz 11-10-2013 11:37 PM

1978 Mustang II

5 Attachment(s)
May be a change in direction for me. We purchased this car today. It's a 78 Mustang II with a 302 automatic. It runs, not real well at present. It has a crappy 650 Holley on it that wasn't set up very well. We did get the original stock intake and carbuerator that came off of the car. Plus a spare doghouse.

The body is really clean. The interior sure is ugly. Not real wild about the 4 lug wheels, that's a minor issue at present. Now to see how much of a headache it will be to get this thing to the Indy points meet in April?

goinbroke2 11-11-2013 12:20 AM

Re: 1978 Mustang II

Wow, nice score!

Do you have any place to make a pass as-is for a baseline or is the season over there?

Seriously, very nice shape.

Mark Yacavone 11-14-2013 12:56 PM

I'm working on a lightweight 8" package for at least one or two of these combos now.
If we could add in a few more...might be able to get the price down a bit ...?

Paul Wong 11-14-2013 03:41 PM

There is absolutley no need to do a baseline on this for any reason. Its a 12 second U car put together with some skill. If this does not go 13's then Stock is not for you. Good score.

Robert Swartz 11-14-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Wong (Post 408891)
There is absolutley no need to do a baseline on this for any reason. Its a 12 second U car put together with some skill. If this does not go 13's then Stock is not for you. Good score.

Paul,
Guess this is about as brutally honest an assessment as I can ask for. Right now, I'd be tickled pink to get the thing together and kiss the index. I freely admit I stumbled into this car by accident. Like other newbies, I have that learning curve to go through. Plus I'm starting this with zero Ford parts. I have some scrounging, trading and work to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 408874)
I'm working on a lightweight 8" package for at least one or two of these combos now.
If we could add in a few more...might be able to get the price down a bit ...?

Mark,
I will definitely need a converter. Your name was one of the first to come up after I settled the deal on this car.

Marty Knox 11-14-2013 07:08 PM

Congratulations, Robert! Does this mean the end of E/FS for you?

Tod Lane 11-14-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Swartz (Post 408914)
Paul,
Guess this is about as brutally honest an assessment as I can ask for. Right now, I'd be tickled pink to get the thing together and kiss the index. I freely admit I stumbled into this car by accident. Like other newbies, I have that learning curve to go through. Plus I'm starting this with zero Ford parts. I have some scrounging, trading and work to do.

Mark,
I will definitely need a converter. Your name was one of the first to come up after I settled the deal on this car.

There ya go partner lol
I think this combo is more in line with our skill set and knowledge base

Robert Swartz 11-14-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Knox (Post 408915)
Congratulations, Robert! Does this mean the end of E/FS for you?

Marty,

No, the E car is alive and well. Been mainly working on our bracket car and doing a lot of garage straightening. This is a more tuneable, workable combination. Has a ton more potential. Unlike my E car, which is an IHRA only car. This car can be run in either "HRA".

Robert Swartz 11-15-2013 11:32 PM

Spent some time at a backwoods salvage yard today. Managed to find a 302 long block with the correct casting number 2 barrel intake. It was setting out in the elements and is missing the timing cover and water pump. Am positive the block is locked up. Won't know what I have until I tear it down. Am hoping the heads will be salvageable, if they are the correct casting number?

Thought I had found a set of Hooker headers over in Ohio. After contacting the guy and having him verify the part number, they were actually for a 71-73 Mustang. A little research saved me a trip and possibly buying something else I couldn't use. He did tell me he had a lot of sbf parts. Even said he had some 2 barrel carbs. I may still yet have found a source for some usable parts.

It's been 36 years since I last worked on a SBF. Need to go buy a couple books and renew my knowledge of these engines.

MAURICE BLENDHEIM 11-16-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Swartz (Post 408293)
May be a change in direction for me. We purchased this car today. It's a 78 Mustang II with a 302 automatic. It runs, not real well at present. It has a crappy 650 Holley on it that wasn't set up very well. We did get the original stock intake and carbuerator that came off of the car. Plus a spare doghouse.

The body is really clean. The interior sure is ugly. Not real wild about the 4 lug wheels, that's a minor issue at present. Now to see how much of a headache it will be to get this thing to the Indy points meet in April?

Robert... When I seen this post,I thought the Mustang II was going to be a donor car for your Chevy II. Control arms, spindles, rack & pinion, carburetor and plug wires. How silly of me... MB.