CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why is there no interest in all new combos (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=86486)

GTS340 01-06-2024 02:34 AM

Why is there no interest in all new combos

Being that I'm 67yr young. When I turned 18. I could buy a brand new 1973 Plymouth Duster with a good job. No matter what engine it came with. It had a class in stock class elimininator.With some handy work and a few performance parts. A helmet on my head. No matter which way it was facing. A NHRA membership. You were running in the big show. Hook the tow bar back on and head home a winner. (On a quick note. Show 100 18 yr olds today a 1973 Plymouth duster picture. "Name that Car!") But now when the 18yr old goes to buy a new car. Well, we have a class for the new 632 engine. Can I drive it to work? It is amazing to me NHRA is blind to this supject. Personally some might know I am/was building a 2014 Challenger. On my wallet size all work has to be done by myself in my 2 car garage. It was beyond the normal stock build. Paul Wong ask to get the same car's V6 in the books. They put the 5.7 in at 300hp. They offer putting the V6 in at factor rated 305. Hello!! I'm over the 8 second combos being added in stock for the well to do.One other note. In 1973 the stockers didn't do wheelies so don't say that what everyone likes.

Paul Haszlauer

1320racer 01-06-2024 07:28 AM

Re: Why is there no interest in all new combos

18 year olds today ain't working full time, many ain't working at all and they ain't interested in a car, no mind buying a new car, hell many don't even have nor want a license so your self serving rant is flawed. IMO, the NHRA has been spot on with the introduction of the Big 3 factory stock eliminator cars. No one except old men get excited about a 69 Camaro today much less a 73 Plymouth Duster. Further, a 10 second street car is the equivalent of watching paint dry today much less watching a race car run that!

GUMP 01-06-2024 07:41 AM

In a lot of cases, it's the same guys that were racing (or wanted to race) a new car back in the "good old days" that are now buying the FS cars. Since the rules have changed so much over the years, the FS cars are now the equivalent of taking a 1973 Duster from the dealer to the track. If not easier.

There was a time when many local tracks were running Stock Eliminator on a weekly basis. A lot more people were involved back then. Cars were marketed to customers based on there ability to run Stock. The market just isn't there anymore. The OEMs don't have designated people to populate the guides like they used to.

Every once in a while, you run into someone that is willing to put in the time to help you. But, that is a kind act on their part to take on the added work load.

Billy Nees 01-06-2024 08:23 AM

Paul, go back and re-read the "New classes in Stock" thread and you will come to the realization (as I did) that nobody cares.

Woodfin 01-06-2024 09:33 AM

This is an eye opener.

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inf...960?amount=500

Woodfin 01-06-2024 09:48 AM

Use the inflation tool link above to put is whatever numbers. Play with things you bought in the olden days, it is surprising.

Mike Pearson 01-06-2024 10:07 AM

NHRA has all the stoc and super stock cars they want right now. Joist look at the response to the entry to the Gatornationals. It fills in minutes once opened for entry. They only want small fields of sportsman classes. In their mind there is no reason to add more cars to the guide.

jmcarter 01-06-2024 10:15 AM

Using the provided calculator (thanks BTW) I input what I paid for a new 1967 SS396(325) Chevelle just before entering college.

$2,800 in 1967 is worth $26,549.06 today

In today’s $ that doesn’t buy much of a performance car. I had saved working two jobs in high school and having a part time job in college in order to swing it. In today’s market it’s little wonder kids drive cheap beaters, with coffee can exhausts for “performance”. Just another factor in why you don’t see more young people buying their own way into racing like we did.

Jeff Niceswanger 01-06-2024 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcarter (Post 691166)
Using the provided calculator (thanks BTW) I input what I paid for a new 1967 SS396(325) Chevelle just before entering college.

$2,800 in 1967 is worth $26,549.06 today

In today’s $ that doesn’t buy much of a performance car. I had saved working two jobs in high school and having a part time job in college in order to swing it. In today’s market it’s little wonder kids drive cheap beaters, with coffee can exhausts for “performance”. Just another factor in why you don’t see more young people buying their own way into racing like we did.

I bought this with paper route money and paid cash, 1695.00.. on my 16th birthday of 1972. Then paid cash for a new crate motor L-72 427/425 (we stuck w/L-88 valve train in it) because that little 302 just didn't live up to expectations.
EDIT. Wont let me load pictures. Says I've already loaded them previously ? Its a 69 Silver RS Z-28

Larry Hill 01-07-2024 07:49 PM

Money. Younger people will be hesitant about dropping 100 k on a stocker. In some cases the factory support for parts is almost nonexistent. I’ve been trying for years to get a few spare blocks for the Dumbo car, I’m still wishing and hoping.